Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive read so many stance posts and setup tutorials im a little overwhelmed. ive been snow boarding for many years but only just started paying attention to such details. And i see a big change in my boarding. I have just bought a new board and ive never given stance a thought. Its a rossignol sushi, a short wide board, highly directional. im not interested in park or tricks or jumps but only in steep tight trees and as a secondary interest, carving, but i can compromise the carving to favor tight trees, quick turns. Im also an old fart, 56 !, but strong and fit for my age, i teach DH mountain biking and work out but still getting older and slower despite best efforts, the sushi has transformed my riding ive rented one a few times and now i have my own. But, how do i set up the bindings? ive measured my kneecap to groud, 20 inches, BUT, im 5' 11 inches. I have very short legs for my height. I chose a 21 '' width, +18 front and - 9 rear. Do i just adjust..say the rear 4 deg each day and see? then try the front? Is it that simple,? just adjust for a day and see?

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
It is indeed that simple. There is literally zero trick to stance. That being said if you ride pure directional and carving trying an alpine stance aka positive angles on both feet would be worth testing out.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I'm older than you and have recently gone from 27/-9 at 23" to 30/12 at 21". I'm only really interested in carving and I know that if I get any fresh powder I'll have to revert as I find toeside turns in fresh difficult with a forrward stance.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Yes I also say experiment. At lunch, try switching your rear binding from -3 to +3 and see if you notice any difference.

·
Registered
188 Posts
That being said if you ride pure directional and carving trying an alpine stance aka positive angles on both feet would be worth testing out.
Agree.

Here's something to try- once you have made a couple runs at +/+ and are kind of used to it, try tucking your back knee into your front knee going into turns. It kind of drives the front knee forward as well, starts to get you lower, and even gets your hips rotating. For me it helps drive my carves, and also helps initiate short transition turns in trees and bumps. That single technique is why I never spent much time riding duck.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I like to keep a similar amount of splay between my feet. If I move my back foot, I usually move my front foot by the same amount. I maintain the splay that I find comfortable for my hips and knees throughout my stance changes. For instance, -6/12, 0/18, 6/24, etc. This takes more time at the tool station, but I feel less adjustment to the stance changes this way too. Going double positive just opens up your shoulders and hips, duck closes it down.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So should i go double positive to make faster turns? im not talk so much about carving turns, the tree runs i like are too tight and steep (for me that is) to carve. I tend to steer with my back foot and slide the tail around or jump and lift the tail otherwise its just too steep. I bought my new board because it has almost no tail which allows me to slide the rear end around and not get it caught up.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I play around with angles in the trees. Often I like back foot at 0 for what you're talking about. Maybe try out -6 or -3 and see if your back foot feels any faster or if your body is more or less comfortable.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I play around with angles in the trees. Often I like back foot at 0 for what you're talking about. Maybe try out -6 or -3 and see if your back foot feels any faster or if your body is more or less comfortable.
thanks, im going to try 0 this weekend. for the back foot that is. i already have it set to -9. so i will start with 0, then -3, -6 perhaps. being able to whip that tail around fast is what i most want to do.

·
The Swiss Miss
7,225 Posts
It's funny to see how many ppl here now try fwd angles 😊 8y ago when I joined this place, I seemed to be an alien with my +/+ angles then (and got inspiredhere to try duck, lol). Isn't it funny how everything comes back one day? I seem to be behind the wave as I meanwhile happily ride a mild duck 21/9, but much wider than back in the day with fwd.
And width to me was more crucial than some ° more or less angle. Thus, OP: have a screwdriver in your pockent and just experiment. Not only with angles, but also with width.

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
It's funny to see how many ppl here now try fwd angles 😊 8y ago when I joined this place, I seemed to be an alien with my +/+ angles then (and got inspiredhere to try duck, lol). Isn't it funny how everything comes back one day? I seem to be behind the wave as I meanwhile happily ride a mild duck 21/9, but much wider than back in the day with fwd.
And width to me was more crucial than some ° more or less angle. Thus, OP: have a screwdriver in your pockent and just experiment. Not only with angles, but also with width.
Yeah, that's what happens where you're..... multi-decadal :giggle:

For me I started late so i was just put on a duck from the start; but always felt like i wanted my shoulders more fwd facing and my heelside turns were kind of awkward, like something was missing. Then rode fwd and that was it. Never duck again.

·
The Swiss Miss
7,225 Posts
Yeah, that's what happens where you're..... multi-decadal :giggle:
Oh, what a nice euphemism
😄

For me I started late so i was just put on a duck from the start; but always felt like i wanted my shoulders more fwd facing and my heelside turns were kind of awkward, like something was missing. Then rode fwd and that was it. Never duck again.
Right. Fir me, it was the opposite. Fwd was standard when I learned in the nineties. Never questioned it until '13. Swapped to duck and instantly felt much better; more stable and quicker reacting especially in deep n steep. Never changed back :). I blame my knock knees. Btw: I still ride with open shoulders most of the time 🤷‍🤷

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
Oh, what a nice euphemism
😄

Right. Fir me, it was the opposite. Fwd was standard when I learned in the nineties. Never questioned it until '13. Swapped to duck and instantly felt much better; more stable and quicker reacting especially in deep n steep. Never changed back :). I blame my knock knees. Btw: I still ride with open shoulders most of the time 🤷‍🤷
Hahah another option was 'alt-young'...

So you haven't tried a fwd stance again? Would be cool to try. I've tried my starting stance (+18 -9) once or twice; it's still doable, but i found myself forcing the knees too much trying to rotate.

Since then i've settled on +25 +5 but only because I can't do more than 25° on EST bindings...

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm 44 and had a few knee injuries including an ACL rebuild, I also been experimenting with stances. last year I rode +15/-12, on a 171, and I've went as severe as +18/-15, but I went with a 159 this year and any negative on the rear started causing knee pain and I didn't feel as much control on steeps and in tight trees. I'm back to a really minor +15/0 and, no knee pain and much better control in all conditions. There's no right or wrong here just gotta make some tweaks until it works. I keep one of these with me. A bit pricey but worth it's weight in platinum.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just set my board to +18 and 0 , im going to try that. I also find when on steep Terran i need to lean forward a lot to make the turn easier. so perhaps more positive stance angles will help. I never ride switch except to get out of a tight spot so a backwards traverse of a few feet only.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I like to move my front binding forward of reference when I feel like I need to keep my weight more over the nose. Just be sure you aren't riding in the back seat too. Some boards, like my cool bean, do better with more weight on the nose.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My sushi is very much like the cool bean. Almost identical. I haven't ridden it yet much. It's new. Only demoed it a couple times.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts