Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes.

:blink:
I should be more specific of what I am asking. I have looked at the Trapper, Jones, Arbor, Prior and mervin splits. Just wanted to know if anyone has ridden any of the splits, and if they would recommend them. I am going to be ridding the BC around calgary, so I will need one for calgary area snow conditions.

·
Veteran Member
11,555 Posts
The Arbor Abacus is what I would describe as a solid all arounder. Jack of all trades master of none type of deck. One of the better boards for skinning that I have taken out. It gets good traction and it is a fairly light board making travel easier.

I want to recommend Prior, but every time I have a friend who gets one it ends up delaming at some point.

Trapper looks promising, no experience with them. Scott Newsome is the real deal though.

You might also look at the Never Summer Prospector and the Rossignol XV. Those are the two best I used last season imo. Both were solid big line performers and charged hard. Well matched boards for continental snow packs. Which is what I would think you are riding in around Calgary.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Arbor Abacus is what I would describe as a solid all arounder. Jack of all trades master of none type of deck. One of the better boards for skinning that I have taken out. It gets good traction and it is a fairly light board making travel easier.

I want to recommend Prior, but every time I have a friend who gets one it ends up delaming at some point.

Trapper looks promising, no experience with them. Scott Newsome is the real deal though.

You might also look at the Never Summer Prospector and the Rossignol XV. Those are the two best I used last season imo. Both were solid big line performers and charged hard. Well matched boards for continental snow packs. Which is what I would think you are riding in around Calgary.
Thanks for the information. I will have to check out Never Summer and Rossignol. How did the NS and Rossignol perform when skinning?

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
I hate the lack of grip I get skinning on my NS sl due to the rocker in the middle. It is a highly undesirable feature for a splitboard IMO hence why they are trying to get around it with the flat section in the prospector.
For a split you are better off with camber to get all the grip you can IMO

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I hate the lack of grip I get skinning on my NS sl due to the rocker in the middle. It is a highly undesirable feature for a splitboard IMO hence why they are trying to get around it with the flat section in the prospector.
For a split you are better off with camber to get all the grip you can IMO
Thanks for the advice.

·
Banned
1,314 Posts
Never Summer Prospector all the way. The new camber/rocker profile with the flat in the middle seems like the ticket. Best of both worlds. IMO, their rocker answer is THE answer, and making skin even better seems like badass engineering.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Never Summer Prospector all the way. The new camber/rocker profile with the flat in the middle seems like the ticket. Best of both worlds. IMO, their rocker answer is THE answer, and making skin even better seems like badass engineering.
LOL I wouldnt call it badass engineering! More like trying to get around a known problem.
Rocker has benefits, skinning is NOT one of them.

·
Banned
1,314 Posts
LOL I wouldnt call it badass engineering! More like trying to get around a known problem.
Rocker has benefits, skinning is NOT one of them.
Engineering is the fact of addressing of a known problem, and solving it without having to ride camber in blower pow. I mean, right?

I certainly prefer Never Summer's type of rocker in Colorado blower pow, and why not make it easier to skin with? Splitboarding is already a compromise ( not a solid board), so why not make every available advance in engineering available?

·
Registered
751 Posts
I think flat is better than camber for skinning. The K2's are flat underfoot (panoramic & ultra).

Actually, my best skinning is done with my 48 spliff. It's hilariously easy - absolutely never a kickturn problem, and if it gets too steep, bootpacking it with a ski in each hand is so easy compared with my regular sized split.
Just waiting to test it in deep pow before dumping the panoramic.

·
Banned
1,314 Posts
I think flat is better than camber for skinning. The K2's are flat underfoot (panoramic & ultra).

Actually, my best skinning is done with my 48 spliff. It's hilariously easy - absolutely never a kickturn problem, and if it gets too steep, bootpacking it with a ski in each hand is so easy compared with my regular sized split.
Just waiting to test it in deep pow before dumping the panoramic.
Looking forward to that review.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
I wont argue. I have stated my opinion.
rocker in the middle of a split = fail.
There are plenty of boards that will out float a ns that have camber throughout the running length with a powder nose.

IN MY OPINION the op is much better off on one of those boards, especially as a beginner trying to learn how to skin.
Its not much fun sliding backwards into a 1mph yard sale as your mate skins straight past you laughing. Ive been there on my ns lol.

·
Registered
751 Posts
yeah, last thing I want underfoot is rocker. Especially in the beginning when your natural tendency is to lean forward when climbing = more slip (and not the kind girls where under their dresses)

·
Banned
32 Posts
I wont argue. I have stated my opinion.
rocker in the middle of a split = fail.
There are plenty of boards that will out float a ns that have camber throughout the running length with a powder nose.

IN MY OPINION the op is much better off on one of those boards, especially as a beginner trying to learn how to skin.
Its not much fun sliding backwards into a 1mph yard sale as your mate skins straight past you laughing. Ive been there on my ns lol.
Well, it's your opinion and you're welcome to it obviously because you do love to shove it down everyone's throats like its gospel, but it is my opinion that it is wrong. Rocker on a split does not equal fail. It is different from camber not better or worse. If you are having that much trouble skinning with a rocker, it's your technique that is more to blame than the profile. Rocker is a profile that absolutely improves float no matter how hard you try to deny it. The only thing you are right about is the shape helping but add rocker to that shape and it will improve even that.

·
Registered
751 Posts
woah buddy. he's not saying rocker doesn't help float, he's saying it's not good for skinning, which makes sense. Best scenario is a flex that promotes maximum skin to snow contact, which is not what rocker does, as it bends up.
anyways, it's the consensus on splitboard.com so go over there

·
Banned
32 Posts
Maybe, but he also did say that rocker on a split equals fail which is wrong. I'm not arguing with you that rocker presents a challenge when skinning. I'm saying that rocker has advantages and disadvantages just as camber does. It's up to the individual rider to decide on the trade offs that fit their needs. An over opinionated blow hard who makes proclamations like "rocker equals fail" is leading people astray. I know the consensus but with 15 years of Splitboarding, I stand by my position that the traction issues mentioned are almost totally overcome by a change in skinning technique. Another thing worth mentioning is the type of skin for the type of snow. Long hair skins like Black Diamond do best in powder and okay on corn or ice but short hair skins like g3 are best on corn/ice and not quite as good in powder. Overall, I find the short hair skins work best on rocker for all conditions. Just opinion based on personal experience.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Hi Blake.
You might get further by being a bit less aggressive mate.

You are probably a fantastic skinner with 15 years experience, but the OP surely isnt so telling him that rocker is the way to go would be far from the truth, I know it doesnt help me, nor anybody I know. So the blow hard in this instance is probably you.

·
Banned
32 Posts
Fair enough.

It was just the way it came across to me like you were trying to shut sick pow down rather than just offer alternate opinion. If I took you wrong then I'm sorry. You are right that for a new person, flat or camber is better generally for skinning. The big exception to that in my opinion is that the rocker really makes skinning physically easier because I find that the tips naturally stay up on top rather than getting buried when breaking trail.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts