Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I've been looking around for a while for a splitboard. suitable for the conditions in northern europe. That is usually had packed/icy on top, not so light powder and tight tree runs.

I'm about 145 lbs (66 kg) and 5'9" (176 cm), 8.5 in boots (42) and have ridden for about 20 years.

The board will be used for BC 75% of the time and the rest in the groomers with my family (I don't want to bring two boards every time since we go by train or bus)

My style is that I like to take it mellow most of the time. I enjoy the flow when playing with the terrain and in the trees. I'm not a charger in the steeps. Walking uphill is half the experience.

The selection of splitboards is a bit limited in my area. What seems to be available are mainly Burton and Jones but there are also prior, K2 and arbor too. I've got my eyes on spark afterburner bindings, unless someone can convince me to go for another binding.

So, I would be very happy to get some suggestion on board and length. I've been riding rossignol experience 159 and 161 the last couple of years. Something more playful in the trees would be preferred.

Thanks!
/a

·
Registered
7,949 Posts
Perhaps a gnu billygoat c2btx...it is a bit on the heaver side but would work with your boot size and being nimble in the trees...and you shouldn't have any trouble with riding it aggressively with 20 years. And the sparks afterburners work great...got the crampons and modded heel locks (but haven't used them due to the crappy year in pnw).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Perhaps a gnu billygoat c2btx...it is a bit on the heaver side but would work with your boot size and being nimble in the trees...and you shouldn't have any trouble with riding it aggressively with 20 years. And the sparks afterburners work great...got the crampons and modded heel locks (but haven't used them due to the crappy year in pnw).
Thanks, a bit hard to find where I live though, but possible. I'm a bit insecure how that hybrid camber would do it for me uphill in firm snow. Any experience on that?

·
The Swiss Miss
7,219 Posts
Try Splitboards Europe - Der Splitboard Shop in Europa | Home Splitboards Europe - Der Splitboard Shop in Europa | or Blue Tomato

I've a Jones Solution and Afterburbers and like both a lot, toho I don't ride such icy conditions as you so can't say how suitable the board would be. Been on very steep pure ice with a Jones deck (not the Solution) and can say that the mellow magnetraction did very well while riding. No idea how the split would perform while hiking...
The Afterburbers are great, really responsive and comfy. I pair them also with one of my solids, like them so much :).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Try Splitboards Europe - Der Splitboard Shop in Europa | Home Splitboards Europe - Der Splitboard Shop in Europa | or Blue Tomato

I've a Jones Solution and Afterburbers and like both a lot, toho I don't ride such icy conditions as you so can't say how suitable the board would be. Been on very steep pure ice with a Jones deck (not the Solution) and can say that the mellow magnetraction did very well while riding. No idea how the split would perform while hiking...
The Afterburbers are great, really responsive and comfy. I pair them also with one of my solids, like them so much :).
Thanks, I've actually been looking especially at solution. There's a widespred consensus that hard/icy aren't any problem for the solution. What I don't know is how easy it turns in tree runs. The tree runs up here in the north can be a real pain in the arse and most runs ends in the forrest. Thinking that 158 should allright but I would love to hear what people who actually rides the board thinks.

Any experience of the jones Mountain Twin?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts