Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
The Swiss Miss
7,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The retailer has finally finished to update the split section :yahoo:

These are the three boards at chioce at a reasonable size and waistwith of about 24.5-25 (I excluded those only available in 160+ and ww 26+). I'm 120lbs, womens boot size 9, ride a 158 solid with 25ww.

- Prior Brandywine and Brandywine XTC (Carbon) in 154 or 158
- Venture Zelix in 154 or 158
(the Zephyr is discontinued)
- Jones Womens Solution in 156

The retailer recommended the Prior Carbon (surrrrre... it's almost double the prize as the Venture or Jones so I guess he's a little bit biased :laugh:). But I'd spend the money if there's a good reason for that board.

I've no idea about Venture and Prior boards and won't find a solid of these models to demo (the Solution I'd be probably able to demo). I've only used a rented 156 Hovercraft so far, so I've not much to compare. The Hovy was a bit too wide for me I guess, it felt a bit coarse on frozen show.

What I would like it to be:
Stable, good edgehold. Even if it's supposed to be in pow, I will have to ride it down the entire mountain and frozen snow and icy sections will be part of it most of the time.
I guess I want a flat/camber-rocker to begin with (easier skinning, as I got from the other recent split thread) and it's the shape I'm used to and like with my solids.
Well... I guess, every split will be good in pow, so needless to ask for that? We usually don't get heaps of fresh overnight, so I wont hit hip deep pow with it. Our fresh is rather light, but I'll bring it to the trip to Alaska in April, so I guess it should be also good for heavy snow :dunno:

Any thoughts about model/brand/size are very appreciated.

Oh... and yes... bindings... Tesla for sure. After Burner or Magneto?

·
Veteran Member
11,555 Posts
Venture makes solid (as in well made) boards. They are a Colorado company and their stuff is pretty damn durable. Their camber profile is great for skinning and float.

I am leery of Prior. Lots of delam issues with them as I have mentioned before. I like their shapes though. Maybe they have resolved that issue. It has been two or three years now since I have known someone with a Prior. I should hope they have resolved it.

Probably nothing wrong with a Jones Women's solution. They had delam issues a couple of seasons ago, but I believe last years boards were solid.

For you Tesla bindings. Magnetos are the softer binding. Basically the Blaze. The After Burner is the Burner version of Tesla system and is a lot stiffer. Just depends on what you prefer when you go with those. For me personally, I am not much of a freestyle spinny flippy guy anymore. So I prefer a stiff binding to just charge with and jump off of smaller stuff.

·
The Swiss Miss
7,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've read so much good things about the Zephyr, I was set on that one and waited for the 2014 ones since the 2013 is sold out in Europe. Just to find out that it's discontinued, or better, mixed with the Helix now :dunno:

As for the bindings... if it would be women's bindings, I'd say I go for the stiffest. A notch stiffer than (Burton Escapades or Ride Fames would sound good for me). But I don't know how stiff women's compare to split bindings... Any hints, to which solid bindings (K2, Salomon, Ride, Burton, Union) the After Burner vs. Magneto compare? I'll be at a demo weekend soon and could try some similar men's bindings to find out what I prefer.

·
Veteran Member
11,555 Posts
I did not get to take the Zelix out. The general word is that it is a great board. I doubt you could go wrong with it. Venture puts out a quality product.

As far as the bindings go. I kind of have a hunch you would also want to go with the Afterburner. I can't really compare for you as it has been awhile since I have done the dealer demo days at Loveland and I have only ridden splits since that date. If anything just ride a stiff men's binding and see if you like it or hate it and go from there.

·
Registered
8,201 Posts
I got sparks baseplate and cup from 2 years ago and then put the burner highback and straps on they are stiffest binding I've ever had...and I like them. I'm trying to see if I swing getting the tesla system...but got to get rid of the old ones.

·
Banned
1,966 Posts
poutanen's better half has the Brandywine (non-split) and I think he had some comments or a mini review somewhere.

·
Registered
767 Posts
you dont want regular bindings on voile plate, save money somewhere else in the kit and get some sparks. The afterburner is a stiff mens binding, i dont mind the stiffness on the way down, but the softer strap on the magneto is much more comfortable to tour in and allows for more ankle articulation.

I got sparks baseplate and cup from 2 years ago and then put the burner highback and straps on they are stiffest binding I've ever had...and I like them. I'm trying to see if I swing getting the tesla system...but got to get rid of the old ones.
you can buy just the tesla base plate and touring bracket and put on your highback, heelcup and straps and save some money, i think the kit is around $275.

·
The Swiss Miss
7,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
poutanen's better half has the Brandywine (non-split) and I think he had some comments or a mini review somewhere.
yap, I remember that. How comparable are solids to spilts? I'd assume, having a metal edge going through the middle of the board would change the board feel...? Is it worth at all to try a solid to get an idea on how the split would be?

you dont want regular bindings on voile plate, save money somewhere else in the kit and get some sparks.
haha, no I didn't meant to put solid bindings on the split. My line of thinking was that, since I won't be able to demo the slit bindings and will have to order out of the blue, and since I don't know how stiff mens bindings compare to stiff women's bindings, I could try two solid men's bindings (that are easy to find to demo) that are alike the Afterburner and Magneto, to get an idea, which one of them Sparks to choose (still sounds complicated :blink:).

As far as the bindings go. I kind of have a hunch you would also want to go with the Afterburner. I can't really compare for you as it has been awhile since I have done the dealer demo days at Loveland and I have only ridden splits since that date. If anything just ride a stiff men's binding and see if you like it or hate it and go from there.
Thanks killc. I've the Burton Diode and Ride El Hefe on my to-try list for my solid (Nivek, I'll try the NOWs as well). So I guess, if I like them, I'll go with the Afterburner, and if not, for the Magneto.

·
The Swiss Miss
7,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you dont want regular bindings on voile plate, save money somewhere else in the kit and get some sparks.
Hmmm... the more info I get, the more confusing it gets. Been to my local shop, they sell splits (Volkl) but no bindings. They said, that they use solid bindings on their splits, and claim that this works well.

I'm insecure now. If travelling (airplane), it is tempting to only have one set of bingings one can use on the solid as well as on the split... For the upcoming travel to AK I'd mainly use the solid board (some days in Alyeska resort, 1 week heli), the split would only be the backup for down-days.

If you would have to choose, which would be the better compromise (and why)?
- Get a solid interface (which I would need to import from US since nothing alike exists here) to use split bindings also on the solid
- or use the solid bindings also on the split?

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
Join splitboard.com, you can get a ton of feedback from all sorts of spliters.

·
Veteran Member
11,555 Posts
The slider plates are a pita to change bindings out with. Way more so than swapping bindings on a solid board. Plus you can easily lose the t nuts. The performance of splitboard bindings are far greater than using the plate adapters. Sw went for years using plates and said they were fine. He finally got spark's and had that "holy shit what a difference" revelation. I was a bit stubborn about it too and had the same revelation four years ago. Moral of the story? Get some freakin' splitboard bindings. The Burner or Blaze would be just fine. They are great bindings for splits. Just not as slick as the new Tesla bindings. They are tried and true though.

And yeah, get your butt over to splitboard.com if you are not there already. All splitboard website, just what you are looking for.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Hmmm... the more info I get, the more confusing it gets. Been to my local shop, they sell splits (Volkl) but no bindings. They said, that they use solid bindings on their splits, and claim that this works well.

I'm insecure now. If travelling (airplane), it is tempting to only have one set of bingings one can use on the solid as well as on the split... For the upcoming travel to AK I'd mainly use the solid board (some days in Alyeska resort, 1 week heli), the split would only be the backup for down-days.

If you would have to choose, which would be the better compromise (and why)?
- Get a solid interface (which I would need to import from US since nothing alike exists here) to use split bindings also on the solid
- or use the solid bindings also on the split?
Split bindings on a solid are far better than normal bindings on a split.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts