Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Veteran Member
11,555 Posts
I was wondering when this topic was going to make it here. Figured I'd let someone else start it. Nice work shred. This should be fun.

·
Registered
10,669 Posts

Don't give them the attention they seek. Fuck 'em.

I don't get the whole skiers vs. boarders thing beyond good natured ribbing. Plenty of good people and plenty of fucking douchebags doing both.

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
The way I see it, the article is only about intermediate snowboarders still struggling around the mountain. And as for the backcountry stuff, it seems that to be a backcountry snowboarder, you have to really invest in the correct gear and have more drive to go and go it. This would naturally mean that these people would be more experienced at snowboarding. As for skiing, all you need is to slap some skins on your skis and you are off... any jokester with rentals could go skinning into the backcountry. Anyone with a splitboard could do the same, but the latter is less likely.

·
Premium Member
523 Posts
The ignorance of this dispute gives me a headache. It's snow, have fun on it however you see fit. Don't like boarding?? Cool, Don't do it! Wanna Ski? Cool, do it. Snowmobiles??? FUCK YEAH!! give me a ride back to the top!!

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
Fuck that, everyone like the page and load the news feed with cats and people shitting themselves. Then we'll leave it alone.

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
My favorite comment on the FB page: "If I ever found u buried in debris, I would kindly dig a little hole right to your mouth and shit in it!"

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
I think the splitboarders might be the ones getting trolled here...

Any idiot can make a FB page and get a few friends to circlejerk. Now he's got two forums up in arms giving him attention and other skiers feeding his ego.

There is no reason to argue with people like that.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
He deleted all negative comments. Big touchy ego. Made me think about the speed problem. I haven't done BC yet, but what about carrying snowshoes for safety? How long does it really takes to switch ? Would it be faster strap snow shoes on?

·
Registered
538 Posts
He deleted all negative comments. Big touchy ego. Made me think about the speed problem. I haven't done BC yet, but what about carrying snowshoes for safety? How long does it really takes to switch ? Would it be faster strap snow shoes on?
What they are leaving out in all this is the knowledge not to get caught in an avalanche to begin with, such as the SKIERS
caught in the one at Stevens Pass (I think) last year. That seems to be the real key to surviving one, essentially not getting caught in one, doesn't matter if it's a boarder or skier, i.e. judgement beforehand. Whether a boarder or skier can start digging you out faster is a moot point, because if you are buried deep enough to suffocate, that 30 secs or so won't make much of a difference. Just seems logical, though I ride the East and there are few places to get caught in one, I am tiring of this boarder hate resurgence the more I run into skiers on the hill when I board alone.

Was checking into it more and it seems that the survival rates drop dramatically after 15 min, so that makes the time difference that a boarder vs. skier getting to a person very negligible at best.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
I agree with you, that not being there is the best option, but say you find yourself at the base of a slide and want to hike 100 feet up, would it be faster to strap snow shoes or split the board and put skins? I'll be starting BC soon, just curious about extra safety.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I agree with you, that not being there is the best option, but say you find yourself at the base of a slide and want to hike 100 feet up, would it be faster to strap snow shoes or split the board and put skins? I'll be starting BC soon, just curious about extra safety.
Thinking on it, the odds that you are at the base of the slide without actually being caught in the slide yourself are probably low, most rescues I have seen on video seem to be from the uphill. Others here that do BC would know more I am sure, just trying to think about it from a logical perspective. Curious myself though, would like to get into more BC in the Adirondack slides and other regions around here where there is that danger.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Unfortunately I haven't been able to post on that guys page for about a week now. Seems he didn't like the accusation that he started the page due to trying to touch a splitboarders penis while in the toilets, but he got denied. Now his shame fuels his hate hahahahhaha.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Seriously though, I am hesitant to get into split boarding as there is not a quick eject in the event of an avalanche. It would be hard to do even with skis, but at least you would improve your changes of not getting dragged under.
Do we think the technology will allow for this in the future?
At this stage I would take snowshoes or just ski.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts