Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello There!

I´m new to that Forum, so i like to introduce myself: My Name is Martin and I´m living in Germany, to be exact in Bavaria, really near to the alps (Maybe 20 mins aways). I´ve been snowboarding for more than 10 years now. And i guess i Pretty often on my board, thats means Maybe 2-3 times a week. So guess I could say I got a little experience. Most of the time, you will find my on the snowparks there or, if possible, in the backcountry if theres fresh powder. Since the Season passes are getting more expensive and I´m older every year, i like to try something new! Splitboarding (yeay! :) )

I´m About 1,80m, 75 Kg, and shoesize 44

So, unfortunately new sets are not that cheap (>1000€). that´s why i was Looking for some used sets and found 2 offers which are interesting (in my eyes):

Offer 1:

- Jones Solution Carbon 2015 162w, Spark Burner binding (also 2015), some Skins, no binding interface! and the whole set is Pretty used
--> Price 280€ the whole set.

Offer 2:

- Capita Neo Slasher 2017/2018 161, Union Expedtion, Skins and Crampons. Pretty new, since it was used only once.
--> Price 600€ for the whole set.

What would you choose as an beginner? What would you recommend?

Thanks for your help!

PS: Since English is not my first language, i guess not everything is grammatically correct ;D

·
The Swiss Miss
7,438 Posts
If you don't ride stiff freeride planks otherwise, a carbon Solution won't be a good choice. It's a very stiff splitboard. Moreover, '15 versions of Jones splits weren't the best manufactured boards. We had issues with delaminating bases or badly matching inner edges. So...
Skins that are that old could also have issues with the glue, if it are the G3 ones.
The Spark burner are good bindings, however. Tho, the newer generation (Surge) has nicer features.
Can't comment on the second set, don't know those parts.

Reactions: Swindle

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Neni,

thanks for you answer. I guess this helps a lot for my descision! I´m used to ride very soft and short board. At the Moment I´m riding an libtech boxscratcher 151, which is really soft, all around at the mountain. for powder days i got a rome powder division in 148. I would love to have the powder division as an splitboard, but i guess this is to short for climbing. And boards like the K2 split bean are a bit too "expensive" for my Budget.

·
Veteran Member
11,555 Posts
The only thing I can say is the Union Expedition splitboard bindings are crap. The only people that like them work for C3, everyone else I know that got them, can't wait to get rid of those bindings. Everything about that design is something splitboarders used 20 years ago, not what you want now. If you buy that set, expect to be looking at getting Spark or Karakorum bindings in the near future. For that alone, I would say get the Jones set up. Figure out what you like or don't like, then when you upgrade, you'll have a better idea of what you want to get for your riding style.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
You can buy splitboards used as long as it has the Voile insert pattern, but splitboards get used in rough terrain and over patches with low coverage, so gotta check it first. Bindings are nice to get new, or at least a later version, like Plum Eterlou or Spark Surge or Karakoram Connect. You don't want the skins to be too used either. The Rome Powder Division or Whiteroom could work, but I'd go for the big version of Powder Division, saw some Rome boards heavily discounted now. Else I think it's best with a traditional shape for splits, not alot of taper, not too wide, mostly camber, some nose rocker is nice, if you want tail rocker depends, but since you ride a full rocker board you won't mind that either.

The Capita Neo Slasher isn't bad, else you could look at Plum Prems, Goodboard Split, Pathron Scratch, Prior BC, Jones Mountain Twin.

..and this site: Splitboards Europe
They might have some on sale or used even.

·
Registered
8,198 Posts
I'd pass on those 2 options and in the mean time try to rent or demo a few split set ups. Since you are in Germany try to get your hands on a split Amplid. Might be able to find an old Creamer, Tour Operator or Milligram. My second split set up is a diy'd split an Amplid Creamer 163 and love it....Creamer, Phantoms and Backlands.

·
The Swiss Miss
7,438 Posts
Since you are in Germany try to get your hands on a split Amplid.
Good hint on Amplid. I'm eyeballing that brand since some time. They seem to put a lot of thought into their splits, especially the white snow repelling topsheet... (only thing I hate with my black beauty Radical Lion... snow sticks n piles up like hell on it's black carbon top. I'm about to paint/spray it white this year!)

OP: contact them at Amplid. They may have demo boards you could get at lower price. I got my (awesome) Colltex skins and Radical Lady Lion directly from Radical (a Swiss manufacterer); usually, their boards are VERY expensive; but I got a great offer on a demo board from them and am super happy with it since years and it will live many more (I ride the 150 @58kg). Maybe Amplid has a good offer for you as well.

A Split setup is expensive... however, you’ll use it many years. And you want something reliable...

It's a good idea to buy from a company from your region, as you’ll know, the board will work in your conditions. Not every split is built to work in every condition/mountain... (I've seen splits without inner edges... wow... what incredibly blessed ppl can have such boards?!? We have icy traverses alla time. Those guys must have infinite powder).

When you screen second hand stuff:
  • Avoid G3 skins. Their glue is (was) crap. They may have fixed their issues, but the '15-'17 ones were a nightmare.
  • Avoid old pin bindings. Spark are cheaper than Karakoram.
  • Agree with Rip154, look for a traditional shape. Skinning up in Alps in spring can mean a lot of icy traverses. Board shouldn't be too wide neither too short nor too much rocker so you get enough edge to go uphill safely.
  • Oh... and yes, you'll need crampons :).
  • Get a set of Voilè straps, too. They really can help to fixate your boot to highback on traverses and help to edge.
  • Ignore Wrath if starts to talk you into a hardboot/touring boot set-up. That's for later - if ever. Get first experiences with a soft boot set-up.

Reactions: wrathfuldeity

·
Registered
384 Posts
Moreover, '15 versions of Jones splits weren't the best manufactured boards. We had issues with delaminating bases or badly matching inner edges. So...
Have they improved? I've seen a lot of internet photos of relatively recent delammed Jones splits in the past few years, but I assumed that was shoddy work out of the Dubai factory. I thought 2015 would have been out of the Austria or Switzerland, but maybe I'm getting my timelines wrong.

·
The Swiss Miss
7,438 Posts
Have they improved? I've seen a lot of internet photos of relatively recent delammed Jones splits in the past few years, but I assumed that was shoddy work out of the Dubai factory. I thought 2015 would have been out of the Austria or Switzerland, but maybe I'm getting my timelines wrong.
Dunno if they improved. At some point, I stopped buying them. My last Flagship was from '16, that one was ok, tho. SOs Flag from '16 was as well. SOs Solution from '15 or '14 wasn't. We had three decks of them replaced in the early years.

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
You could also go the very cheap route and find a used camber freeride board to cut in half, spend the money on hardware and Spark Arcs and upgrade the board when you find a good used deal or get the funds.

There are tutorials online on how to split a solid board.

Also don't forget about safety gear and a buddy. The cost of beacon/probe/shovel is an additional necessary one if you're doing a lot of backcountry.

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
My wife has a newer Jones Twin Sister (2018) that she looooves, but as her dedicated board waxer I know the die cut base on that thing is pretty bad - you can feel the edges of the die cut and there's a tiny little crack in the corner of the N. It hasn't caused problems but she mostly rides in good snow. I could imagine those pieces separating pretty easily if they took a hit from a rock or sharp branch. But if you see a board in person this is something that you can easily check out by looking closely and running your hand over the base.

·
Registered
476 Posts
(only thing I hate with my black beauty Radical Lion... snow sticks n piles up like hell on it's black carbon top. I'm about to paint/spray it white this year!)
Rub wax on the top sheet then melt it with a heat gun or even a hair drier, snow won't stick anymore.

·
The Swiss Miss
7,438 Posts
Rub wax on the top sheet then melt it with a heat gun or even a hair drier, snow won't stick anymore.
Oh, cool, thanks. Just normal skiwax?

·
Registered
476 Posts
Oh, cool, thanks. Just normal skiwax?
Yep.
Rub the wax on, heat it up and follow along rubbing it in with a cloth. I guarantee snow will never stick to your board again.
I actually wax my bases and sidewalls the same way to completely avoid scraping, or if you do scrape, use the shavings to wax the top sheet

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Good hint on Amplid. I'm eyeballing that brand since some time. They seem to put a lot of thought into their splits, especially the white snow repelling topsheet... (only thing I hate with my black beauty Radical Lion... snow sticks n piles up like hell on it's black carbon top. I'm about to paint/spray it white this year!)

[/LIST]
Just ordered a sweet Amplid Milisurf / Karakoram Setup. Fingers crossed I will be able to ride it on Piz Palü this October ...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Yep.
Rub the wax on, heat it up and follow along rubbing it in with a cloth. I guarantee snow will never stick to your board again.
I actually wax my bases and sidewalls the same way to completely avoid scraping, or if you do scrape, use the shavings to wax the top sheet
Are you sure it’s not hazardous to apply heat to the top sheet?

·
The Swiss Miss
7,438 Posts
Just ordered a sweet Amplid Milisurf / Karakoram Setup. Fingers crossed I will be able to ride it on Piz Palü this October ...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
You're from there? Just spent the weekend in Engadin :) ptobably was the last late summer weekend kite surfing, as next weekend, winter will start with snow in Sils.

Let us know how you like that Milisurf.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Are you sure it’s not hazardous to apply heat to the top sheet?
Yep. You dont need much heat to melt the wax, and considering boards get pressed at around 90c for an extended time frame when they are made you really aren't going to hurt it by waving a heat gun over the top of it for a few minutes.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I’ve had no quality issues with my Jones hovercraft split. I just picked up a Jones storm chaser (solid) and that looks even better in terms of quality.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts