Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 5'11", 165lbs, 7.5boots. Following weird's recommendation, now I'm deciding between a 150 and 156 raygun board.
Both boards fit my weight.

Width wise, 150 is almost a perfect fit at the insert with my barefoot standing on it. the 156 board is about 3-4mm wider.

Now I would choose the 150 board but now the stance distance comes up.

150 board has the following stance distance: 18.5-20-21.5-23
156 has: 20.5-22-23.5-25

Now the deciding factor is really whether I'd need a stance distance of 25?

I feel comfprtable standing with a distance from 21-25, but would this be accurate without having to get on the snow?

PS: I have a small build ( shoulder width about 18 and foot-2-knee cap is about 21 ) comparing to my weight.

What do you guys think? Should I keep the 150 or compromise with the 156 for a potential wider stance distance?

·
Registered
365 Posts
My first board was a 153 Raygun I had it for 4 or 5 years. It was my only board for a while. At the time I weighed around 175 to 180 with size 9.5 boot. It was enough board for me. I think the 150 should be ok.

·
Registered
409 Posts
20.5/23 seems reasonable stances for your height… but at 23 on 150, I wonder how much board you have left to flex, pretty much everything would be in between the feet. I would go 156 for just that reason and doesn't seem to big for your specs (but I don't know the board).

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you saying the further the bindings are from the reference points, the less performonce the board will be ?
20.5/23 seems reasonable stances for your height… but at 23 on 150, I wonder how much board you have left to flex, pretty much everything would be in between the feet. I would go 156 for just that reason and doesn't seem to big for your specs (but I don't know the board).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Are you saying the further the bindings are from the reference points, the less performonce the board will be ?
The boards were made and tech placed with the reference spot in mind. So if your feet are in a different spot, the board will react slightly different. In your case, if you have 23 on a 150, then your feet are probably going to be really spread apart for that board and could have a very short nose/tail. Which could make things harder or more difficult than intended. But also... the holes are there for a reason. So it's still built with that intention, just isn't "optimal".

·
Registered
409 Posts
Exactly, the board will feel different and ride more from in between the feet and a board the flex a bit less. Which could be your thing or not, depending on how/what you ride—for park this could be your thing. But overall, I would be wary of having to ride at max stance on a small board.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts