Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just wondering about how people set up their stance on a centered or factory setback, and if anyone has any no nos about stance set-ups.

Reason being I had a conversation with a gentleman at a shop. He claimed that each snowboard has limited stance set ups from the manufacturer...hopefully i can explain this correct.... that your front and back binding should mirror each other on the inserts.

Example: on an insert set with 6 holes like this and bindings where the bars are
R( :l:l::-------c-------:::::: )F
you would have 1 option to keep it twin that would be
R( :l:l::-------c-------::l:l: )F

This claim gives you only 4 options for a stance. Same case for setback stance as it is setback from the factory.

I have always gone with a stance that has been of a comfortable width for me, and depending on the board that has sometimes looked perfectly symmetrical like above, but sometimes looked like this:
R( ::l:l:-------c-------::l:l: )F setback-> R( :l:l:::-------c-------:l:l::: )F
I haven't had major issues with washout, or chatter.

I have also read that staying "centered" on your sidecut is the intent of the manufacturer...

Anyone have any long tech-y explanation/advice to offer?:dunno:

·
Registered
12,623 Posts
Well the big no no is more tail than nose. But I would hope that's fairly obvious.

If it's a true twin it's designed to flex equally so you want the stance equal for sure.

If it's a directional twin meaning twin flex but with a set back you can either go with the set back or you can twin it based off the twin aspect which is usually contact point to contact point.

If it's straight directional you want the stance to optimally be based off the set back and be equal, but you can go with more setback based on conditions/riding preference.

At the end of the day any experienced rider should know their stance width/angles and what works for them. I've seen some fucked up stances in my day like the chick that was 5'5 and had a stance width of 29 inches with 45 negative 45 degree angles.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I'd say there is truth to what the shop guy said as any variation from mirroring will move you forward, or back from the sidecut. I always end up measuring to verify my bindings are where they're supposed to be based on center, or setback. There's been more than 1 board known to leave the factory with the insert pack in the wrong place.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I dont think i have a ridiculous stance but my most comfortable is often not perfectly centered, even on my twin decks...this guy just made it seem like it was a cardinal sin, and I have had no issues for years...

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd say there is truth to what the shop guy said as any variation from mirroring will move you forward, or back from the sidecut. I always end up measuring to verify my bindings are where they're supposed to be based on center, or setback. There's been more than 1 board known to leave the factory with the insert pack in the wrong place.
Then we are saying if mounted correctly, most snowboards only offer 4 stance options?

·
The Swiss Miss
7,461 Posts
Moving the hind one one insert more back to get a comfortable stance won't do much harm. Had to on some boards.
Already makes 7 positions ;)

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
figured as much...just dont want to tell a guy he is out to lunch unless i know for sure im not a tard. :laugh:

·
Banned
1,314 Posts
This "limitation" does not seem to matter on the Burton EST Channel.

Because of my stance width (@24) I always get pissed when I have to break out my nutty burton baseplates to get that "one more option" out of regular inserts for set back. Remember the baseplates that look like some sort of slider? Anyways, I just have worn them out, and basically I get a few more options to get it right.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts