Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many people are rocking positive stances? And if so, how positive are you going?

I currently ride +18/-15 and it feels really natural but thinking about trying to go ++ this upcoming season just to try it out. Who knows, maybe I'll love it! I did strap in at like 18/12 the other day just to see and it felt very off. I couldn't really squat down without feeling some knee and ankle pain in my rear leg. When I try to take a stance without being strapped in my heel always comes off the ground. I'm used to squatting with my feet turned out from playing sports through college and still work out, so I'm sure that's why ++ feels unnatural. Is there any benefit to riding a ++ stance?

The main board I'm thinking about going ++ on is the Nidecker Megalight. The only problem is the width is fairly narrow (253mm) and my boots are just large enough (11.5) to where I probably need to be 9-12+ degrees one way or the other to mitigate boot drag on this particular board. Is that too extreme for the back foot to be at?

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
I ride about +24 +6. Best change I've ever made.

Don't go too extreme on the back foot from the start. Start with a very mild + on the rear (like +3 or +6) and then if you feel you need more, add... but don't start with such a drastic change.

For me, the back foot is the problem in terms of board width... all my boards have big taper and i'm US10.5 boots, so that's where I toe drag first on the narrower boards.
It's a trade off... wide board and no drag vs narrower with some drag. I have both wider boards and normal width boards and for each case it's something you just adapt to or deal with it (ie don't carve too deep on narrow boards and choose the wider boards wisely to not lose so much agility) or simply work around your stance width, location etc to prevent toe drag...
On the wider boards it's a non-issue for me, but with 11.5 boots.... you're going to need to look into wide boards for sure.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe I'll try a more neutral rear angle on my Warpig to get a feel for that set up. I could go 0/0 and not boot out on that haha. One less thing to worry about, right? My other boards are wide so I have some more wiggle room with those.

I have a wide stance at 25.5 inches so I'm basically at the max of every board that I get on. Did you narrow your stance when you switched to ++?

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
Maybe I'll try a more neutral rear angle on my Warpig to get a feel for that set up. I could go 0/0 and not boot out on that haha. One less thing to worry about, right? My other boards are wide so I have some more wiggle room with those.

I have a wide stance at 25.5 inches so I'm basically at the max of every board that I get on. Did you narrow your stance when you switched to ++?
Ah Warpig is perfect to start dialing your stance. It's wide enough to not worry too much about toe drag so that you don't have to force any angle, but it's got a good sidecut and stiffness so that you can still make quick turns.

and yeah I narrowed my stance a little with ++ angles. I think about ~1" narrower or so. I used to be like 59cm wide, and now it's at ~56cm. Don't really remember because most of my boards now have channel and I can really change the width and setback to anything I want; so sometimes I change the stance width slightly just to get rid of a bit of toe drag or to add setback etc.

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
You probably should narrow your stance for ++. Think about the distance between your heels in a typical duck stance. Now think about the distances between your heels in a typical ++ stance. If you mount your bindings at the same inserts with both stances, the ++ stance is going to have the greater distance between your heels.

I dabble in positive stance on days I know I just want to carve, tried it mostly on my squash. I go from +24, -6 around 23 inch wide to +27 +3/6 around 22 inch wide. Definitely an improvement in carving but I don't like the loss of jumping/drop ability. Harder to squat and absorb well for me.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Yep, like what @F1EA said, gradually make your way there as it will def feel too big of a jump for your feet and knees lol. Was mainly +18/-3 for a while, tried double posi and does feel pretty good for pure turning. But gets a bit uncomfortable and slightly awkward on my knees when I'm in the park and/or jumping. Now mainly at +21/0, ~20in stance width and feels great for turning and freestyle for me.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Many hardbooters ride only about 5° splay between front and rear binding, but personally (riding in hardboots), I feel much more comfortable at about 15°.
So, the discomfort you feel at 18/12 may be more related to too little splay than to +/+ in and of itself. You might want to try leaving the rear binding at 6° and setting the front to maybe 20° (if it will still transmit the necessary forces).

·
Registered
108 Posts
I ride 24-27, 6. Love the change from duck. But I’m more of a charging carver rare switch rider.
This. I rode hard boot for years, up to 55*/60*. Duck always felt weird to me. I've really settled into the 24-7/6 range for all mountain, all snow, carve stance.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You probably should narrow your stance for ++. Think about the distance between your heels in a typical duck stance. Now think about the distances between your heels in a typical ++ stance. If you mount your bindings at the same inserts with both stances, the ++ stance is going to have the greater distance between your heels.

I dabble in positive stance on days I know I just want to carve, tried it mostly on my squash. I go from +24, -6 around 23 inch wide to +27 +3/6 around 22 inch wide. Definitely an improvement in carving but I don't like the loss of jumping/drop ability. Harder to squat and absorb well for me.
I want to mostly go double posi for days I'm really trying to get into deep carves and I've heard that ++ stances are great for those powder days. But I definitely want to get it dialed in before since I don't want to waste a pow day messing with my stance.

I'll still probably do most of my riding ducked out since I like to hit small jumps and I do ride some switch some.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Many hardbooters ride only about 5° splay between front and rear binding, but personally (riding in hardboots), I feel much more comfortable at about 15°.
So, the discomfort you feel at 18/12 may be more related to too little splay than to +/+ in and of itself. You might want to try leaving the rear binding at 6° and setting the front to maybe 20° (if it will still transmit the necessary forces).
I read the the splay should be around 5-8° so that's why I went so drastic to start off with. I think that starting a little smaller and working my way up is the move. I'll try your rec at 20/6 and see how it feels.

Thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
I want to mostly go double posi for days I'm really trying to get into deep carves and I've heard that ++ stances are great for those powder days. But I definitely want to get it dialed in before since I don't want to waste a pow day messing with my stance.

I'll still probably do most of my riding ducked out since I like to hit small jumps and I do ride some switch some.
The worst thing you can do is mess with stances on a powder day. Unless you don't care about riding powder.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The worst thing you can do is mess with stances on a powder day. Unless you don't care about riding powder.
Absolutely! Which is why I want to figure out my stance before. I had some troubles last year getting my nose buried. So hoping a different stance will help.. That and more powder days to practice on!!

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
Absolutely! Which is why I want to figure out my stance before. I had some troubles last year getting my nose buried. So hoping a different stance will help.. That and more powder days to practice on!!
Yep. Figure out your stance early on, whatever feels most comfortable.

Getting your nose buried in powder doesn't have too much to do with your stance in particular. Unless you're severely set forward, which would be weird and I doubt anyone makes such mistake. Not being able to stay afloat is most related to the board (shape and size) and the speed you're able to carry (this in itself related to how well you can manage the terrain).
So a better board for powder and more pow days under your belt will help more than stance changes.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yep. Figure out your stance early on, whatever feels most comfortable.

Getting your nose buried in powder doesn't have too much to do with your stance in particular. Unless you're severely set forward, which would be weird and I doubt anyone makes such mistake. Not being able to stay afloat is most related to the board (shape and size) and the speed you're able to carry (this in itself related to how well you can manage the terrain).
So a better board for powder and more pow days under your belt will help more than stance changes.
I mainly used a 164 Nidecker Megalight on powder days. I think it's just a bit too small for me. I'm 6'6" and least season I was 260#. I'm coming in at 230# for this season so I'm pretty stoked on that lol. I also used my 173 K2 Eldorado on some days. The XL Warpig was a late addition last year during spring riding but I imagine that I'll probably use that on deep days. Hell I might use that everyday. It was very quickly becoming my favorite stick at the end of the season.

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
I mainly used a 164 Nidecker Megalight on powder days. I think it's just a bit too small for me. I'm 6'6" and least season I was 260#. I'm coming in at 230# for this season so I'm pretty stoked on that lol. I also used my 173 K2 Eldorado on some days. The XL Warpig was a late addition last year during spring riding but I imagine that I'll probably use that on deep days. Hell I might use that everyday. It was very quickly becoming my favorite stick at the end of the season.
Those boards seem fine. So I think it's mostly a matter of finding a stance that you're comfortable with and getting used to the terrain and pow.

Good job dropping those 30lbs. I've been trying to drop 15lbs and... burgers and beer win.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
I used to have a serious +/+ stance of 30/23. That was just a habit I had from the old days. My back knee didn't like this, so I started backing off. I started to get toe drag on the back foot as a result. I have found a middle ground of 8 to 15 degrees on the back foot and it feels better, I've never tried duck, probably since I grew up with such a high +/+ stance and duck always seemed weird to me. I still have toe drag on my narrow board and even now am developing it on my wide (because the wide has allowed me to carve with more angle, I now am finding that limit). I don't think I would like duck, probably am "an old dog that can't learn new tricks"...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts