Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts
I think it's inherently less safe to be fully strapped in when trying to get off the lift. Like the last poster said, if there's an issue where you have to move, you don't have a free leg to push off. I've ridden many lifts where the chair stops or slows down and you have to stand and push off to get out of the way of the chair. Sure, if everything goes right, you'll be fine fully strapped in. But if any of a number of things goes wrong, you'll be the a-hole who causes the lift to stall.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

@HurtonBair I'm not arguing against that, just asking about the specific dangers of clipping in. Simple question, with lots of good answers here
Potential danger is that you get used to clipping in, especially if you for instance mostly ride Mt Seymour weekdays (you'll generally have the chair to yourself or just one other person). You get lazy, your skating suffers, then when you really need it, you're rusty.

I have Flows on some of my boards, and they're great for just kicking your foot into the rear binding on the lift. I do that when possible, to balance the weight of the board while on the chair. But I've never bothered to snap in while still on the chair. Mind you, the runoff from the Mystery chair is about as easy as you can get. I might change my mind if I was getting off one of those ski-jump ramps I've seen pictures of.

So I guess it comes down to why would you not? vs why would you bother?

1. Every beginners nightmare is the lift. It’s VERY dangerous !!!!

2. learn how to properly get off a lift with one foot. It’s part of learning to snowboard. My son has face planted and twisted ankles 100x, he was 6, he learned

3. I don’t see the problem strapping in other then annoying the people next to you Or leaning to far forward and falling off

Back in the days we used to strap in while in the chair all the time. Contrary to everyone here I see no danger in it unless you really don’t know what you’re doing.
Your biggest problem will be that, nowadays, stations don’t allow it afaik (at least not up here).

Here's one thing I see. Riding up one foot out our board is facing much closer to straight ahead. two feet and you have to swivel quickly or sit in an awkward position.

1. That awkward position can, as posted, lead to getting stuck between the chair and the ground on some ramps.

2. That quick swivel is introducing a new variable, and thus chance for something to go wrong.

3. Back foot in in less maneuverable at low speeds. You pretty much eliminate the ability to move sideways, and you can't turn as quickly (using free leg to pivot) to avoid a hazard.

4. No matter how you slice it, it's a crutch if it's replacing proper technique.

I think as long as you're familiar with the lift it's safe. On a lift I'd never been on before, I'd wait to step/strap in.

I have no problem with it honestly, I find it safer that you strap ur stepons before your sit on the chairlift. coz if there are accident while grtting off, you can maneouver easily out of it.
One thing I do also is if the chairlift has footrest I do the strap in there

Haha this bump of the thread reminded me of reading this thread originally and a few days later seeing someone get banged up by the chair and then blasted by the lifties that had to stop the lift and get them untangled for being a dumbarse and strapping in on the lift. Made me chuckle at the time thinking of this thread.

Discussion starter · #32 ·
wow I forgot all about this thread!

Well I got much better last winter, and was easily handling getting off the lift with my back-foot unclipped. But, in a perfect world, I'd still much prefer to exit the lift with it clipped in. Disclaimer before anyone gets on their high-horse: I said in a perfect world, not a world where everything that can go wrong does go wrong :)

Sidenote, about the dudes who get their leg caught under the chair at dismount - if that happens then they've seriously screwed up, having nothing to do with being clipped in or not. I mean they'd have to have been jacking it during the ride and not realized that they were at the point of dismount, otherwise they'd have turned their board in the proper direction and tipped the front upward

Well you see back in the old day at Baker we always buckled in on the chair, mostly because Baker unload ramps back then were double Diamond and it was easier with the old Sims buckled straps. The other reason was if you buckled in you could push off the chair and carry speed across the flat to make it back to the main lodge/parking

There are still a couple chairs at Stevens like 7th that I buckle in, mostly because there isn’t much room and if there’s a bunch of people standing there it gets sketchy.

I occasionally see people do it with click-ins or with rear entry. But when they do it, they are alone. Or with one other person. Personally, I wouldn't do it. If you eat it, you can't get back up quickly enough to get out of the way of others.

Well you see back in the old day at Baker we always buckled in on the chair, mostly because Baker unload ramps back then were double Diamond and it was easier with the old Sims buckled straps. The other reason was if you buckled in you could push off the chair and carry speed across the flat to make it back to the main lodge/parking

There are still a couple chairs at Stevens like 7th that I buckle in, mostly because there isn’t much room and if there’s a bunch of people standing there it gets sketchy.
Did a trip to Baker 20 some years ago and learned that trick there. I'm a fan of the technique.

@Yeahti87 I feel most at risk of injury when the back foot is unattached, because if I fall at that moment I can badly twist the front foot while the rest of me tumbles. I forgot that normal bindings can probably be strapped in somewhat easily while on the lift, so this is probably something that's been discussed before. I'll do some googling :)

@Buzzdog yea, that's why it has to be done very quickly, I have to be able to kick the board out in front of me the moment the chair is there, otherwise risk getting it (and therefore my legs) stuck underneath. That might not be worth the risk either

I guess in a perfect world it's best just to be good at getting off the lift and using a stomp pad, but I'm not there yet and it was so nice to just be clipped in and ride off lol
No matter what, clicking/strapping in after getting off the chairlift (while still moving) is going to require a similar amount of balance to the usual one-foot riding until you stop to strap in. Thus, I would say getting good and comfortable in getting off with one foot strapped/clicked in is key no matter what. It's all a part of weight management: the better you get at it on your board (one or both feet attached), the better and more confident of a rider you will become. As a tip, though: I've actually found it super helpful to put my right foot (regular rider) against my left foot binding and put all my weight/balance into my left leg/foot. Basically, balancing and managing weight on just one secure leg/foot is actually easier than trying to do so between one secure foot and one insecure/slippery foot. You have to commit and put 80-100% of your weight onto that left leg/foot (gently pinning the right foot against the left binding for a little more stability...your legs should be together) and make sure you lean your body into the direction you want your weight to go. To slow down, you just put more pressure onto your lead, strapped-in foot, until you start slowing down: no full-board turning required (but you can obviously add some turn-in if desired). I hope that was somewhat helpful.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.