Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I found this forum while looking into buying new boots for step-on bindings. First up I'd like to say thanks to @Wiredsport for all the super advice given. It's really opened my eyes to how boots should fit and made me realise that I'd been riding boots at least one size too big for years!

I have step-on bindings and am trying to buy boots to go with them. I used the guides on here to ensure I got the right size and was pleasantly surprised when I went to my local shop and they seemed to broadly agree on the principles! I have limited options where I am for shops so the one I am able to visit only stocks Burton step-ons (no DC). But I did try on a variety of the options they did have available. In the end I went for Photon boots in size US 11.

At first these felt strange I was definitely used to more room at the toe but after wearing around the house for bit they actually feel great now length wise. As I say, it's been a bit of a revelation! In the shop I only wore them for a few minutes and on first fitting at home they feel good. But after wearing for a few hours I start to feel some pressure points on the top of my foot which leads to some numbness. When I take them off you can clearly see the pressure point on my foot.
Human body Gesture Barefoot Thumb Nail

So my question is, is this something that will sort itself out when I get them heat moulded (I'd planned going back to the shop soon to get this done)?
Or is it more to do with the shape of my foot and the Burton boot?

I'm a bit unsure of how to progress with these in case the heat moulding doesn't work and I can't return them (no snow here at the moment so haven't tried them on a board yet!).
I have decided to order a pair of DC Judge boots online so that I can try them out and see if they are the same. So that may solve the problem.

Just curious though if you think heat moulding will fix this pressure point.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
376 Posts
Nobody can say for certain. But if you put your foot in the shell without the liner fitted, & you have a bit of space between that part of your foot & the shell, it should be possible for heat moulding to move enough foam from that area of the liner.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
That looks exactly like my foot in a Burton Photon, and paired up with Union Contact Pro it resulted in some serious pain. Burton boots pressing down on my high instep plus the disc on Contact Pro pressing up. Can see why people need insoles with those bindings. Not sure about DC.

·
Destroying Worlds Since 2015
7,296 Posts
If it's just a sensitive area of the foot, you can put a square bandaid on that spot before heat molding. That'll relieve the pressure slightly at that point.

If it's caused by something like what Rip154 is talking about, probably won't help.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
If it's just a sensitive area of the foot, you can put a square bandaid on that spot before heat molding. That'll relieve the pressure slightly at that point.

If it's caused by something like what Rip154 is talking about, probably won't help.
Yeah, I've blown out hotspots by putting a little moleskin there while heatfitting. I like this bandaid idea- it's less aggressive.

·
Registered
215 Posts
There is a mod where some folks make a cut out of the inner lining to relieve the pressure point on top of your feet. Someone on this sub forum made a tutorial about it.

we live in a space ship dear!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all for the helpful advice.

I was mainly concerned about the pressure point on top of my foot. It sounds like there are potentially ways to ensure extra space in that area during heat moulding. I like the idea of using a plaster! So if the DC boots are similar then at least I know there is a potential fix.

After reading this and some of the other threads I realise that the red area around my pinky toe is a potential issue as well. While not an area that is hurting so far it sounds like once boarding it may become a pain point. Again though there are some good threads on how to potentially fix it.

Thanks again for the help!

Here are some related products that Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums members are talking about.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts