Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Yeah, i was fine during the day on releasing from the binding but it was the end of the last run and i was just so tired and cramping up that once i lift my heel up thinking it's out, i would stand up and try to twist but my heel would just drop right back in:D i was just so impatient trying to step out. I need to drink more water.
Early season. All good drink up!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have high arches and after 20+ yrs of dealing with the numb feet after 2+ hours...I'm wondering if step in systems would minimize that pressure across my extremely high arch bone? Any experience from high arch peeps would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I have a high instep, step ons work good so far. A lot of my pain came from over tightening straps to compensate for response. Straps = No circulation for me so I prefer step ons. Haven't ridden in deep snow yet, but I'd imagine getting in is very similar to getting into strap bindings in pow. Releasing does take a while to get use to as you have to twist your foot to disengage.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Have any of you tried getting in and out of these bindings in deep snow?
A friend did but I haven’t personally. He did mention it was a bit harder to get them locked in since the snow was so soft. I personally can’t comment though. I can see getting the secondary lock being a bit tough in deep snow.

·
Premium Member
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
i agree takes a while, my only addition i would make to the bindings is to have the release lever on both sides of binding. I ride goofy and am right handed, so grabbing the lever is awkward with my limited mobility. I called burton and suggested that as a future tweak.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
I've just completed my first 3 days with Swath Step Ons. I'm a skier that has migrated to snowboarding and would rate myself as a beginner with 4 days at the end of last season on rental gear and 3 days so far this season in the Swath Step Ons and GNU Carbon Credit. I really like the set up and stepping on and being ready within moments from getting off the chair lift is great. I am 46 years old, fit but looking for more convenience than I found with traditional bindings.

in most situations I found stepping on very easy and didn’t even worry about ensuring the second heel click was fully in as I just did a little jump when starting to ensure it was fully seated. I'm lucky enough that I had no hot spots with the boots and could wear them all day without issues. Last season I lost my big toe nail on my front foot as my rental boots broke a lace and the replacements were too big, no concerns on that this year.

the few times I had to step on while seated on a steeper incline it was a little more difficult but not too much so and it is easy enough to get them properly seated as soon as you get up. I am on the east coast so the conditions are more icy and groomed runs with little real powder.

The only aspect I am still working on is twisting my foot when getting out of the bindings. From my perspective the Step Ons are awesome, but appreciate they are not going to be for everyone in terms of the feel or the boots that are available. I had to bend over or sit down far less which is exactly why I bought them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i agree takes a while, my only addition i would make to the bindings is to have the release lever on both sides of binding. I ride goofy and am right handed, so grabbing the lever is awkward with my limited mobility. I called burton and suggested that as a future tweak.
You can swap the levers to the inside. First thing I did. The lower portion/locking mechanism is separate to the highback, and can be swapped to the other binding. Levers now on inside, easier to reach.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have high arches and after 20+ yrs of dealing with the numb feet after 2+ hours...I'm wondering if step in systems would minimize that pressure across my extremely high arch bone? Any experience from high arch peeps would be greatly appreciated.
I have no experience with these new step on's but I am a fellow high arch guy (sucks huh) so just wanted to say hello. been fightin it in ski/board equipment as long as I can remember.
Went to buy a pair of new boots today. They were tight all over but I especially felt it on my arch. Bummer, cause it was a great deal and I really wanted those boots.

·
Registered
142 Posts
You can swap the levers to the inside. First thing I did. The lower portion/locking mechanism is separate to the highback, and can be swapped to the other binding. Levers now on inside, easier to reach.
That’s good to know! Though for me I’m ok with the way they are. I will also share that with others in case it helps them out.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts