Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This forum is for the locals at Stevens Pass, WA. I'm not sure if many of the people on this forum go there, but this is the place for those who do!
I started this because all the other Stevens pass fourms are really old.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Long live Stevens Pass, my home mountain and where I learned to snowboard!

·
Premium Member
1,643 Posts
I'm a local at Stevens if anyone wants to meet up in a socially distant way.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
How are they doing with crowd control and covid protocols up at baker? Crystal has been hit or miss on crowd size as they’re still trying to figure out capacity. The lack of masking in lift lines and social distancing has me a bit worried a closure mandate from the state may be coming

·
Registered
141 Posts
I really hope that people can properly distance and wear masks! Our sport is made for these types of circumstances.

Wear a mask to keep warm (and be safe?) Yes, easy.

Ride a chairlift by myself? Anytime.

Use my car for getting ready and for breaks/meals? Already have been doing that.

I hope it’s not that difficult for people!

Reactions: WigMar

·
Premium Member
1,643 Posts
How are they doing with crowd control and covid protocols up at baker? Crystal has been hit or miss on crowd size as they’re still trying to figure out capacity. The lack of masking in lift lines and social distancing has me a bit worried a closure mandate from the state may be coming
The lifties at Crystal have been hitting this really hard when I've been there, pulling people out of line for not covering their noses, etc. It's made me feel better about going there. The atmosphere is understandably weird though - it's like what I imagine riding in North Korea would be like. Everyone a little bit nervous or pissy, no food service other than reserved-by-phone-app tables outside, normal party atmosphere is just gone. I've been getting plenty of runs in though.

Stevens week-of reservations are now open and are not filling up immediately. Hopefully that's not because they're going to let the usual mass crowd onto the mountain.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Glad to hear they’re picking up the enforcement. It sucks we need to do this and it would be even worse if they shut it down again. In my opinion masking and social distancing is a small price to pay.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I really hope that people can properly distance and wear masks! Our sport is made for these types of circumstances.

Wear a mask to keep warm (and be safe?) Yes, easy.

Ride a chairlift by myself? Anytime.

Use my car for getting ready and for breaks/meals? Already have been doing that.

I hope it’s not that difficult for people!
I was at Stevens pass yesterday, I can say that the social distancing and mask mandates are well enforced, but they were not overly obnoxous about it. (It didn't feel like North Korea)

I dont think anyone really objected the mandates because those who show up are already aware that this season is different because of the reservation system.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Steven's rider as well. Jealous of those who've been able to enjoy this last storm cycle.

Getting the GF back on board next weekend so we'll be frequenting Fridays and hopefully a few mid-week days thru the rest of the season.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Stevens is my home and has been for over 20 year only because Baker which use to be my home mtn, but don’t like the long drive and the powder is tracked out within an hour anymore. One thing that Baker stands out at over Stevens is their management, Duncan and his daughters keep it simple and fun, unlike Stevens/Vail.

One thing Stevens doesn’t do is listen to their customer, myself and several friends have emailed them numerous times with simple requests, and two weeks ago was no different.

First and foremost they never open on time and yet we always get the same excuse “We are doing Avi patrol” ( they had 6” new).

The next thing is the entire mtn is not open 50% of the time midweek. Two weeks ago Tye Mill and the backside were closed due to Avi patrol, but as we found out later by one of their patrollers, it had nothing to do with snow conditions and everything to do with Stevens not having enough Lifties show up to operate those chairs.

Let me ask a simple question to those of you that ride Steven, have you ever jumped on the Hogsback chair and as you’re approaching the top you look east through the trees to see if Tye is turning, but the fog prevents you from seeing the chair, so as you’re approaching the upper lifty hut you ask the lifty if “Tye is Open” only to have that lifty be a complete dick with his response. Last year I asked him if “Tye was Open” and his reply was “Geez I don’t know let me put my board on and ride down and then I’ll come up the chair and let you know”, two weeks ago I asked the same question only to have the lifty say “how the hell would I know”, so I ignored that pos and asked a patroller standing there and he said “yes it is they just said it on the radio”. Going off of the patrollers answer we rode back there to find 150 people standing in line with Tye NOT turning and the lifties announcing that they wouldn’t open for another 30 minutes, so we had to take the mile long flat groomer back to Hogs hence the reason we ask. So I’ve asked Stevens to simply put a whiteboard at the top and hand write “TYE OPEN or TYE CLOSED” pretty simple.

We also noticed that they move the terrain park to one of the busier groomers up there. I wish I could says these problems were caused since Vail took over but these are ongoing issues. A simple suggestion to Stevens management, throw on a pair of skis or a board and get in YOUR lift lines and listen to what your guests are sayang, if you care but the moneys too good to care especially when you’re turning people away every weeken.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
There’s an app for that. That said the lefties are supposed to be focused on the safe operation of their lift not what’s going on across the mountain. Usually they’re also on a different frequency from patrol so don’t know what’s happening up to the minute. If you can’t see the lift neither can they. They don’t have access to information anymore than you do again because their focus is supposed to be on their lift

·
Premium Member
1,643 Posts
The workers at Stevens are pretty great, no complaints there. A lot of them do ride in their off-time.

My only complaints with the place are purely due to the Vail takeover - moving the park under the busiest Hogsback chair is the dumbest decision ever, especially with the new Brooks chair which has like 1/4 of the crowd of Hogsback and the same capacity. Take the load off of Hogsback and move the park back where it was, the terrain is a much better angle for it and none of the green-and-blue-run-only family skiers go into that small bowl where the jump line used to be anyway. That jump line was epic and easily lappable, today's just sucks in comparison.

The gates they've put up to bottleneck everyone and slow things down seem to create more hazards than they solve.

It's very easy to have enough speed at Tye Mill where you can cut through the woods to where the Daisy chair dumps off if Tye Mill is closed. A shame they close the middle entrance to the lower part of the terrain park on that run though - it would have been nice to go through the easy park and cut over to the mid-sized jumps at the bottom. I really like that training park in the woods, but it's like 20 minutes to wait, ride the lift, and ride down to it and it's closed at night.

·
Premium Member
1,643 Posts
Huh, I haven't looked at the stevenspasspark instagram feed lately but every single comment is about moving the park back to Brooks. There's even a petition: Sign the Petition

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Curious if the thought process behind moving the park was to showcase it, similar to some other resorts. That said, just a dumb idea on hogsback

1 - 20 of 26 Posts