Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks.
I look for really stiff and responsive bindings for soft boot carving and here is my list of candidates which I can buy in local shops:
  • Flow NX2 2015 of Flow NX2-RS 2014
  • Rome Targa 2015
  • Flux DM 2014
I like Flow but I have fears about plastic caps on pivot points of highbacks because it may tears boots. Actually I found some confirmations of that in review.
Rome Targa looks nice but not too much info about it. Black horse for me.
Flux DM should be awesome according to reviews but I hear that Flow are much more responsive.
So, please advise the best choise.

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
Hi folks.
I look for really stiff and responsive bindings for soft boot carving and here is my list of candidates which I can buy in local shops:
  • Flow NX2 2015 of Flow NX2-RS 2014
  • Rome Targa 2015
  • Flux DM 2014
I like Flow but I have fears about plastic caps on pivot points of highbacks because it may tears boots. Actually I found some confirmations of that in review.
Rome Targa looks nice but not too much info about it. Black horse for me.
Flux DM should be awesome according to reviews but I hear that Flow are much more responsive.
So, please advise the best choise.

Cheers.
You're like the 3rd person today that has mentioned Flow NX2's in a post...I feel a calling lol. I can't speak for the Rome or Flux's, but I haven't had issues with my Flows. They're meant to be ridden snug, not over tightened, like you can possibly do with traditional bindings. If you want stiff, they're stiff. I like a quick easy in, easy out binding. Thats what Flows provide for me.

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
As far as the hinge goes...I used to have some Burton Cartels that ate the back of my boots up from the ribs that gripped into your boots backstay, and Forum bindings that peeled paint like crazy from rubbing after riding, and Union bindings that had some of the shitiest buckles that would never release...I've rode many bindings and some of my issues were just that, something I usually did wrong. I think all have some issue at a time or two, but tech and design has gotten better over time. Usually one bad review can spiral into an overall "bad product". If I was you, get your feet into some and find out for yourself.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
i use rome targas and i love them. very comfortable and customizable. i'm not sure about this years model but i have the 2013s and they came with 2 extra sets of strap padding so you can adjust the amount of stiffness you want. plus it has a canting system. my only issue with them was that 32, DC, and my old Vans (from 2001) boots were too wide for the bindings so i ended making it easy on myself and just bought rome bodega boots (rather than constantly try different brands to see if they'll fit) but it ended up working out because they are nice boots and are pretty comfortable.

·
Registered
9,248 Posts
Flows cable triangle provides a more efficient energy transfer. They are quicker edge to edge. And the NX2s are a very responsive binding.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Love my Flux DMs. Super comfy and responsive. I had Rome 390s before, but got the DMs for my freeride board. Only issue was that I just recently lost one of the tool-less screws for my ankle strap. Found a replacement, but if you get Flux bindings, double check the screws!

·
Registered
120 Posts
i use rome targas and i love them. very comfortable and customizable. i'm not sure about this years model but i have the 2013s and they came with 2 extra sets of strap padding so you can adjust the amount of stiffness you want. plus it has a canting system. my only issue with them was that 32, DC, and my old Vans (from 2001) boots were too wide for the bindings so i ended making it easy on myself and just bought rome bodega boots (rather than constantly try different brands to see if they'll fit) but it ended up working out because they are nice boots and are pretty comfortable.
I was going to suggest the Targa's as well. I too have the 2013s and my Vans 10 boot barely fits into the L/XL base of the bindings. After a couple cranks on the straps, boot fits snug and i like it. My setup is '13 Rome Mod Rocker, '13 Rome Targa, and 2012 Vans. I am running on med stiff ankle strap on flat canter on my bindings. With this setup, it is stiff. No flex in the bindings and i love it. I havent tried the super stiff ankle pad or the canting pads either. I will try them this year and see how i like it

OP, if you like to change your binding setup on the fly, Targa's are not for you. Every adjustment needs a philips driver. Not user friendly :finger1: Rome lol

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
A little late to the party but I will add my 2 cents. I just switched away from 2011 or 2012? Flow NXT-AT’s. I am a snowboard instructor and figured these would be awesome bindings as I am in and out of my board a lot some days. And I was right, they started out awesome.

But over time I started having more and more issues with them. Over time they got really sloppy and my choices were ratchet them down to where they were hurting my feet and couldn't actually get my boot into the binding before each run without using the ratchets to loosen them, or riding them sloppy. Also, my left binding would somehow tighten itself as I rode and I wouldn't be able to kick in after each run. I would have to un-ratchet the binding to get my boot in.

My buddy had a year older pair of flows and had the exact same issue. We finally got so frustrated with it we both bought new bindings.

I now ride the 2014 Rome SDS Targa's and love them.

I realize this isn't what you want to hear after ordering a pair, but their newest design is supposed to fix most the issues i listed i hear.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for your info Ballistic_BW.
Actually I am not sure what size will fit my boots perfectly (I ordered L for 8 size Nike Zoom Force) and if something goes wrong with Flow I will return them and select Targa as backup variant.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
By the way folks, does anyone know about stiffness of Rome Arsenal 2015? Is it really responsive quite almost as Targa or more playful? I found different reviews; don't know where the truth is.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Thanks for your info Ballistic_BW.
Actually I am not sure what size will fit my boots perfectly (I ordered L for 8 size Nike Zoom Force) and if something goes wrong with Flow I will return them and select Targa as backup variant.
I think you should be fine with a Large..if anything it might be on the big side. I had XL bindings and i wear a size 13.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'll share my experience some weeks later.
Hi folks.
I came back with Rome Targa 2015 finally.
I tried it with DC Judge 2015 boots and I am really impressed. 8.5 US size boot fits S/M binding flawlessly (but from 9 US it should be L/XL).
Binding’s stiffness and response are really great and I can surely say that Targa is very good in soft boot carving.
Upper strap is amazing - sometimes I feel that can tighten it more but it's not needed, because support is already enough.
Lower straps are great too. I removed rubbers for strap opening because they almost useless. You can just depress it and move forward but not open. Very handy.
Highbacks are stiff enough and there are no any issues with lateral support in spite of quite "flat" upper side of them.
And 5 stars of 5 from my side (in spite of necessity to use screwdriver for almost all customizations).

·
Registered
113 Posts
I'm a big fan of Raiden/Nitro Phantoms - solid feature set and built to last. Never had a problem with any part of them, buckles never stick, the plastic straps are indestructible (probably because they have metal wire running through them) and the toe strap seems to work equally well over the top or around the toe. I've had Unions and 390s (albeit a few years ago now) and the Phantoms are, for me, another level.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts