Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi snowboarders of the internet,
here I am back cause I am desperate and need a help. I am sure that you read this story for many times....boots and the (not only toe but also ankle) pain.

First a bit recap: I am from Slovakia (Europe), I am > 100kg and snowboarding for > 10 years and trying to board > 30 days a season at least (alps and some local hills). What I do is mostly bombing the groomers with a lot of switch riding. I would love to say that I do freeriding, but due condition it happens only few days a season. When the conditions are good I really want to enjoy my whole day on the slope (first chair last call :)! I tried many SNB boots but my last I was o.k. with were NITRO teams 2014 size EU44/UK10/US11/mondo29. But actually after they brake in they were at lease one size large and have to put additional insole in. I was quite o.k. with this setup. After couple of years and good service provided (except the stupid TLS system) it was time for an upgrade. I was pretty sure what I want: stiff, half size smaller, good ankle support and traditional laces system. After testing a lot in local shops(my girlfriend makes jokes about it that I am too picky) I ended up with 32 Teams 2 EU44/UK9,5/US10,5/mondo285. At begining it was fine - no heel lift, stiff enough, no complains about laces, I ride the switch (really) a lot, a bit sore foot and bit toe pain. I also buy some traditional binding due i was missing hiback support in my flow binding (burton malavita M). The setup was excellent ... except the HUGE TOE PAIN I developed. I tried everything, 15 days on the slope, buy special molded insole, heat molding... The problem is that I downsized boot with very thin liner. My toes are not crushed by the inner liner but the shell itself. I am done with them, they ruined my days on the snow and I am back on some very old boots (NITRO Anthems US 11), which are very soft for my riding. I will sell them (not sure if I keep the binding) somehow. For my, the season is over but I have to solve it for next season. I am sure that downsizing is not an option for my ( no meter how good the heel-toe transition it provides), cause I can not spent 6 hours on the slope in such a boots. So please help my find the solution with end season sales :)

1. Is there any stiff boot witch thick liner? I am sure that 32 it is not and NITRO has also thin liner. I read/listen to good review about Adidas tactical but need something stiffer (or am I?). Ideally with traditional laces and no heel lift is a must. And I can not do downsizing. Need true size to my shoes.

2. I like burton malavita because the ratches, excellent toe cap. In size M a I managed to center boot US10,5 very good, but was not successful with the size US11. Either toe or heel overhang. This size I can center with fuse flow L without a problem. Does anyone riding this size (burton M and boot US 11) true center? Or any suggestion what traditional bind to choose for US11 boot?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I think it's quite safe to assume that any boot with a thick liner will likely pack out more over time. The 32 TM3s claim to have a liner structure that wont pack out (obviously it will, but not as much as others). They are 6/10 but can be stiffened up to 8/10 if you use the removable support bars. It also has a heel hold kit so you can get it just right for you, and adjustable arch support.

Aside from that, others may have more suggestions to try.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
You should check out the life liners from Burton too. They don't pack out as much as other liners I've tried. Probably more with similar liners now or soon.

·
Registered
8,201 Posts
OP you maybe thinking about it the wrong way. It sounds like your boots are too big, liners too thick and your foot is moving around as a result. It not necessarily about taking up volume or making more room...it is to a certain extent...but. Methinks that your issue is that you have not made a pocket for your heel and ankle...and that you don't quite understand how to keep your heel locked down both heel lift-wise and preventing forward movement toe-bang wise. Focus on making a heel pocket and then locking it down by snugging up the cuff to hold the foot in the pocket. You could also use some dakine heel anchors or learning how to tie your laces to lock the heel in.

Anyway the point is, its not the thickness/thinness of the liner, its the pocket and how to keep your heel/ankle in the pocket that you've made.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi,
my problem is that the outer shell of the 32 tm2 is too hard and too small. It is true with the heel pocket, but not this case. The inner liner is totally thin with just a little padding in front area - no room for extent. I tight the boots as much as possible to move foot backwards (to lock the heel - to create heel pocket) but still, after 2-3 hours it is killing my big toes. Riding experience is excellent, I do not have any heel lift at all. But I need boots for more than 2 hours. They have not packet out even a bit after 15 days of riding. I am done with them and looking for new one. I do not think that replace the liner with thinner version make significant difference because the original liner is already thin and the outer shell is killing my toes. In my aggressive inline skate I used always JUG black SOX liners, because they were cut in heel area - provide heel pocket - and I was able to downsize the outer boot in it. In snowboard boot you can not do this, because they primary use to bind your foot with snowboard and are used in winter.

I am looking for new snowboard boots. true size to my regular shoes which is Us11/UK10/mondo29. Downsizing was very bad idea for me. Something stiff, thick liner, for narrow foot. Something very comfortable. Any suggestion?

·
Registered
6,277 Posts
Have you pulled the liner out of the boot & put your foot in it to see how big it actually is?

If you're done with the 32's?
Is there any harm in just cutting the big toe right out of the liner?
Just the very end where it would be hitting the end?

Not the underside or top, just the very end of the boot liner where the toe is

Back when snowboard boots sucked ass, we used to cut the liners or use a grinder and grind away where that spot was.

If the shell was too long, we would cut the rubber or grind some off so you wouldn't get toe or heel drag.

When you don't have the resources to buy new fancy boots that work properly, you make the shitty ones you have work.

When that's your only option, you do what you gotta do to make it work.

What do you have to lose?

TT

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
These Vans Infuse look very promising. Sold out everywhere in EU but will look the shops at the beginning of the new season.

topic related to boot modification: I am not sure if it makes any sense to cut the inner liner, cause it is already very thin. My problem is small and hard outer shell. If I drill or grind the outer shell in toe area, I am sure I will ruin it (will be wet in snow or it won't last). When I put my feet to just the inner liner, there is no space left. It is fine. Even within the outer shell it is fine. But after 2 or more hours it hurts me big toes a lot. I want to sell them to my friend. Will lost money but I think I can afford a new boots.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have a similar issue with my big toes being sensitive. If I am in the wrong boots I get black spots under my nails and can only ride for a couple hours.

You are on the right track with a thicker liner. Some liners use a thin neoprene in the toe box and there is little cushioning. This was an issue with my Adidas Sambas. Like you said heel/ankle hold is really important. It keeps your foot from sliding into the front of the boot which causes "toe bang".

The most important factor is finding a boot that fits the shape of your foot. I personally need a very square toe box. If it tapers my big toe gets squished. 32 does not work for me, I have tried the Lashed and TM 2.

Currently I have K2 Darkos and they are working well. My feet measure 26.8 and 27.4cm. I ordered mondo sizes 27 and 27.5. I kept the 27 and it was tight at first, but now they fit perfect. A few other people with toe problems have mentioned they like K2 and Ride. I am not saying they will absolutely work for you, but they may be worth checking out. Specifically the Ride Fuse.

The right socks also help. I use Smartwool Ultra Lights. Thick socks will put additional pressure on your toes and not allow you to be in the proper size boot.

·
Registered
6,277 Posts
The correct socks are very important as well.

I purposely buy my boots way smaller, because I know they are going to pack out lots.

It usually takes 5-10 times riding
In excruciating pain until they finally become comfortable.

Once they are packed out to as big as they're going to stretch, that's when they finally fit properly.

And when they finally fit right they are much to tight to wear snowboarding socks.
I wear super thin dress socks.
Those are the only socks that will work for me.
Cause that's how tight my boots are.

TT

·
Premium Member
5,617 Posts
Hi,
my problem is that the outer shell of the 32 tm2 is too hard and too small. It is true with the heel pocket, but not this case. The inner liner is totally thin with just a little padding in front area - no room for extent. I tight the boots as much as possible to move foot backwards (to lock the heel - to create heel pocket) but still, after 2-3 hours it is killing my big toes. Riding experience is excellent, I do not have any heel lift at all. But I need boots for more than 2 hours. They have not packet out even a bit after 15 days of riding. I am done with them and looking for new one. I do not think that replace the liner with thinner version make significant difference because the original liner is already thin and the outer shell is killing my toes. In my aggressive inline skate I used always JUG black SOX liners, because they were cut in heel area - provide heel pocket - and I was able to downsize the outer boot in it. In snowboard boot you can not do this, because they primary use to bind your foot with snowboard and are used in winter.

I am looking for new snowboard boots. true size to my regular shoes which is Us11/UK10/mondo29. Downsizing was very bad idea for me. Something stiff, thick liner, for narrow foot. Something very comfortable. Any suggestion?
Hi Roleta,

Snowboard boots will never be the same size as your US shoe size. That would be far too large. Please measure both feet (length and width) using this method:

Kick your heel (barefoot please, no socks) back against a wall. Mark the floor exactly at the tip of your toe (the one that sticks out furthest - which toe this is will vary by rider). Measure from the mark on the floor to the wall. That is your foot length and is the only measurement that you will want to use. Measure in centimeters if possible, but if not, take inches and multiply by 2.54 (example: an 11.25 inch foot x 2.54 = 28.57 centimeters). For width please place the inside (medial side) of your foot against a wall. Please then measure from the wall out to the widest point on the lateral (outside) of your foot.

STOKED!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It is true about the toe area of my 32's - very thin neopren with almost no padding. I downsized for a purpose to have excellent response but still after 15 days it was totally uncomfortable (probably due to missing padding in this area). I will try the thin sock and I think I probably know how it ends. From my inline skating era I always ride thick sock - even in summer. I prevent my foot from getting blisters. Never have Ride boots but add them to my list.

·
Premium Member
5,617 Posts
It is true about the toe area of my 32's - very thin neopren with almost no padding. I downsized for a purpose to have excellent response but still after 15 days it was totally uncomfortable (probably due to missing padding in this area). I will try the thin sock and I think I probably know how it ends. From my inline skating era I always ride thick sock - even in summer. I prevent my foot from getting blisters. Never have Ride boots but add them to my list.
Hi,

Blisters come from motion within the boot which also typically indicates too large a size. Before you spend more money I would strongly suggest that you post your barefoot measurements as suggested. There are a lot of indications in what you have written that you are about to make a second purchase which will lead only to further problems. It will be well worth the 5 minutes it takes to do these simple measurements.

STOKED!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I tried yesterday the boot with very thin socks and it was not comfortable. Except the toe problem which persist the boot lost its ankle support.

I measured my bare foot in cm:

right 28 x 10.8
left 27.8 x 10.7

·
Premium Member
5,617 Posts
I tried yesterday the boot with very thin socks and it was not comfortable. Except the toe problem which persist the boot lost its ankle support.

I measured my bare foot in cm:

right 28 x 10.8
left 27.8 x 10.7
Hi Roleta,

This is a very common issue. Your feet are both Mondopoint 280 which is size 10 US in snowboard boots. 10.8 cm however is EE width and will never fit well in a "standard" width boot. This width issue will also make a standard width boot feel too short because of the arced shape of the toebox at the incorrect width (the boot will be too short at the outsides).

The best boot choice for you will be either the Burton Ruler Wide or the Burton Photon Wide in Mondopoint 280 or size 10 US. These boots are EEE width. They will be the best match for your length and width and will correct all of the issues that you have mentioned.

STOKED!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sound strange for me (to go even smaller size I have problem with), but If have option to try these boots I will. I remember I once try in Italy burton boots US 10 (just for feeling) and after 1 ride I was done! it has hurt my toes as hell.

·
Premium Member
5,617 Posts
Sound strange for me (to go even smaller size I have problem with), but If have option to try these boots I will. I remember I once try in Italy burton boots US 10 (just for feeling) and after 1 ride I was done! it has hurt my toes as hell.
Hi Roleta,

You will be going smaller in length and larger in width to match your foot dimensions. The boot will be wider and shorter which is correct for the measurements that you have provided. This will be the correct fit. Until you match both length and width you will continue to have the problems that you have detailed. These problems will never be solved by a stiffer boot. Standard width boots in size 10 are also not suggested. They would not be expected to work. Only one brand designs boots for your width (Burton makes the two specific wide models that I have suggested). You should buy one of those two models in size 10.

STOKED!

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Different kind of toe pain can be different kind of issues.
If your big and small toes are getting squished from the sides, you probably have wide feet, and the toe boxes are not big enough.
If your big toes are jammed up against the front of the boot when riding but not when standing, the boot instep is too high for your feet.
Both can somewhat remedied with slight lift in the heels so the toes can be pulled slight back to have more room or the instep of your feet can match the instep of the boot.
Boots are not just 2 dimensional. A pair of boots can fit fine when standing but when you are pressing, if you ankles are not secured, they can cause the feet to move.
You need to make sure your boots fit in 3 dimensions.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am quite lost between the size conversion. Today I'be been in shop and try burton motto 10US and there was no way I can spent a day i this size (squized toes). However in 10,5 US I was comfortable compared to my 32's. But motto is soft and they don't have anything else.
I asked them to measure my feet with tool and you can see output in attachement. They used SIDAS's (insole manufacturer) measure tool. My feet are something like 277mm X 109mm and it should be standard 10,5US according the tool.
Anyway, I will test as many boots as possible. Still looking for some thicker liner boots suggestions.
sofar: vans ifuse, ride fuse
and what about burton x danners?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,617 Posts
I am quite lost between the size conversion. Today I'be been in shop and try burton motto 10US and there was no way I can spent a day i this size (squized toes). However in 10,5 US I was comfortable compared to my 32's. But motto is soft and they don't have anything else.
I asked them to measure my feet with tool and you can see output in attachement. They used SIDAS's (insole manufacturer) measure tool. My feet are something like 277mm X 109mm and it should be standard 10,5US according the tool.
Anyway, I will test as many boots as possible. Still looking for some thicker liner boots suggestions.
sofar: vans ifuse, ride fuse
and what about burton x danners?
Hi Roleta,

As I mentioned above, you would not be expected to fit in a standard width size 10. You are an EE width. Mondopoint is not a conversion. It is your foot measurement in mm. Only one brand designs boots for your width (Burton makes the two specific wide models that I have suggested). You should buy one of those two models in Mondopoint 280 which is size 10 US.

STOKED!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts