Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Snowboarding friends,

An instructor colleague had his snowboard taken yesterday at beaver creek, while eating lunch with guests.

The board is an NS cobra, as you know, these are not on public sale right now. The board is personalised with "mcgilla gorilla" and the serial ns13001 on the left edge.

If you see anything out there, please let me know, this guy is a well known local, his board meant a lot to him. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Snowboarding friends,

An instructor colleague had his snowboard taken yesterday at beaver creek, while eating lunch with guests.

The board is an NS cobra, as you know, these are not on public sale right now. The board is personalised with "mcgilla gorilla" and the serial ns13001 on the left edge.

If you see anything out there, please let me know, this guy is a well known local, his board meant a lot to him. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
That sucks. I don't get some people. I was at our local resort yesterday and someone stole a pair of kids skis.

I hope your buddy gets his board back.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well for starters, Beaver Creek the way it is laid out has never been a huge hotbed for crime. Secondly, instructors are always leaving boards unattended for various reasons, locking it every day every time you leave your board is a pain in the arse - especially when you are on somebody else's time. This person knew what they were stealing, a thin wire lock probably wouldn't have been that much of a detterent.

Should he have left it in better view on the busiest weekend of the year? probably. Does that give a scumbag the right to steal it? Definitely not.

Like I said, the board meant a lot to him, and there aren't many of these things around, if you see anything, let me know.
I agree being an instructor does require a lot of times where you are forced to take off your board and set it aside to handle other businesses.

But i don't think you will get far with this forum but definitly check locally because most snowboard capers always sell em somewhere.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I too am a test rider for Neversummer and also have the Cobra. Also an instructor and don't let that board out of my sight. It goes into the shitter stall with me. This really sucks and especially with a personalized board. I hope your bud gets it back somehow. Any chance this got caught on suveilence video? I hate board thieves.
HAHAHA this seriously made me laugh, maybe on the extreme side for me but i share the sentiment of punishment. Good luck with the recovery.

·
Premium Member
7,585 Posts
I'll keep my eye out. I'll tell my son to watch out too. It's spring break though and lots of strange running around, bad time to leave a high value board out

·
Veteran Member
11,553 Posts
Super lame. All Colorado resorts have a problem with board thieves. Maybe Silverton is fairly exempt. It sucks, but it's reality. If it's not some scumbag local thinking they got an easy mark on a touron, it's the touron's thinking they just scored a sweet board.

·
Registered
151 Posts
That sucks, but he taught those guests the best lesson. If you care about your equipment it is worth the extra time to ensure your equipment is secure before you walk away from it.

·
Registered
964 Posts
That sucks to hear. I always thought that Beaver Creek was one of the safer locations for leaving your board unattended for a brief period of time when going to the bathroom or getting a quick bite to eat. But I guess with a board like that NS Cobra you're just asking for it no matter which resort you go to. I hope he gets it back somehow.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I'm really sorry to hear this! Definitely check your local craigslist listings, ebay, local ads, etc dilegently & often. I'd also call all my local board shops & inform them of it in case this person tries/d to flip it at a shop.

I'm not a violent guy, but I wouldn't hesitate to beat the shit out of someone if I caught them stealing my board or anyone elses (including skis). Theft is downright despicable to me.

Good luck recovering the board!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Nice! Been eyeing this thread, but couldn't really help since I'm on the East Coast. Congrats on getting it back!

It's a good thing the board isn't actually for sale yet, so it's easy to prove that little scumbag got his hands on it illegally.

·
Super Moderator
6,245 Posts
Once in a while -- just every once in a while -- things go right with the universe. :thumbsup:

So, were you able to keep a poker face, or did you have a great big shit-eating grin the whole time?

·
Premium Member
7,585 Posts
Thanks for the well wishes guys, little update...

We checked video survelleince, craigslist, ebay etc, not much luck. There was a possible sighting last week but not much came of that.

Until.........

Last night my girl and I were driving to the gym, and I spotted a scruffy looking kid walking down the other side of the road with it! Luckily the cobra has that red writing on the base, spotted it a mile off. I did a u-turn down the road, drove back past him, then parked in the employee housing parking lot - which was where he was headed. I pretended to get something out of my trunk as he walked past, then I followed him to his apartment. I didnt want to confront him in the lot - I was worried he would bolt and leave me with no trace. As he put the key in the door of his apartment I told him the deal. To cut a long story short, the cops were there a little while later and my buddy has his cobra back.

So if you see one in the valley, it is actually his board, search over!

Thanks again if you were looking for it!
Was the theif staying in vail or beav? What did the cops do about it?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Woo hoo! I would have taken his picture and started a facebook page called "This Little Fucker is a Thief!"

·
The Rooster King
3,821 Posts
I would have had to beat his ass... Congrats for not doing that I guess?
If he works at the hill you should make sure you get his ass fired. Go to his boss and demand it.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts