Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realize that stomp pads aren't technically bindings, but this seemed like the closest category.

Here's my question: I've always seen stomp pads stuck somewhere between the bindings, usually right in front of the back binding. Why can't or why shouldn't it be mounted just BEHIND the back binding? I feel like this would give a wider stance, thus more control, thus more comfort.

·
Banned!
7,679 Posts
I think you should totally put teh stomp pad BEHIND the rear binding! You aren't a sheep! You think for yourself and are an individual! Do it!

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
493 Posts
BTW, if you can afford, you can buy one more stomp pad and put it behind front biding and ride the boards that way! Staying on a stomp pads without bindings. This is how real men with ballz ride their boards.

·
Banned
1,966 Posts
I realize that stomp pads aren't technically bindings, but this seemed like the closest category.

Here's my question: I've always seen stomp pads stuck somewhere between the bindings, usually right in front of the back binding. Why can't or why shouldn't it be mounted just BEHIND the back binding? I feel like this would give a wider stance, thus more control, thus more comfort.
Stomp pads (leaving aside the discussion whether to use them at all) are typically placed in front of the rear binding for two reasons:
1. It allows you to push against the rear binding with the outside of the boot allowing you to 'lock in' your rear foot somewhat and have more control.
2. Even without 1., your assumption that riding with a wider stance gives more control is incorrect - for most people increasing stand width by 3-4" will make it much harder to turn the board (even strapped in), while going 3-4" narrower does not make as much of a difference.

But as the others have said, it is your damn board so you can (and should) do with it as you please. Hell, you could put a stomp pad right on the nose and try to hang ten if that is what you want to do...

·
Scorching the Slopes
2,139 Posts
Wait!
Aren't stomp pads used for stomping landings? Hence the name??

WTF??

Unstrap from binding in mid-air and put your back foot on your stomp pad for a secure landing.
No?

Works for me.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
In all discussions of stomp pads somebody usually says:

"Who uses stomp pads anymore?"

I haven't bothered on my last couple boards.

·
The Swiss Miss
7,444 Posts
What's a stomp pad good for?

·
Not quite reformed yet
8,460 Posts
BTW, if you can afford, you can buy one more stomp pad and put it behind front biding and ride the boards that way! Staying on a stomp pads without bindings. This is how real men with ballz ride their boards.
Awww quit pickin' on the Kid!! ...Juss cuz "U" want to be a "NoBoarder!" :D :cheeky4: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :eusa_clap:

·
Not quite reformed yet
8,460 Posts
What's a stomp pad good for?
Neni, On the "Off" chance that this is a serious question,..

Stomp pads are for us Numb Nuts, NooB riders without the grace, skill. talent or ability to keep our back foot on the slippery assed top sheet when skating. :D :laugh:
They are either rubber or plastic sticky backed pads with some raised spikes or ridges to give your back foot some traction on the board.

Until I got one for my Arbor,.. I nearly got wishboned a dozen times getting off the lifts. ALL my most painful (...and embarrassing!) injuries so far have been the result of my back foot slipping off! :dunno: :giggle:

Haven't found the need for one on my RGR or NS Proto! ;) (...better top sheets, NOT better skills I imagine!) :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

·
Registered
10,669 Posts
Seems like I see just as many stomp pads placed centered between the bindings (usually the worthless foam Burton ones that come free with shit) as I do placed in front of the rear binding. I've always wanted to see someone actually attempt to use one of those center placed stomp pads, but I've yet to see an attempt.

·
The Swiss Miss
7,444 Posts
Haha chomps, it was a serious question. I imagined it to be a new fancy binding feature I'm oblivious of. Thinking of it, I don't even know a German term for this anti slip rubber sticker thing :laugh:

Get a Flagship - its wooden topsheet is not slippery at all :)

·
Super Moderator
6,346 Posts
I think generally you'll put a stomp pad on your first board, but not on your second one.

·
Registered
6,277 Posts
I think you should totally put teh stomp pad BEHIND the rear binding! You aren't a sheep! You think for yourself and are an individual! Do it!

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
That's awesome, well put.

I agree.

TT

1 - 20 of 32 Posts