Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Moving to the dark side...
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have something strange to tell you all. My son is on a really weird trip right now, it is for charity...

He left the University he goes to at 10am (GMT) this morning, and has to travel as far as he can without spending any of his money, so he can blag lifts, hitchhike, whatever it takes, but he must not be bought tickets by people he knows, parents, or family... Strangers can buy tickets, and strangers can pretty much do anything else to help as well...

He has managed to get from Bournemouth in Dorset UK and is currently in a care to Dover Sussex to try and cross the channel... His aim is Paris at the moment, but if he makes it fast then that will change very quickly, maybe rome, maybe further...

If anyone is interested in sponsoring for a £$€ or 2, then feel free, and i will post how far he is when i get the updates...

The link is https://www.raise2give.com/leggit-2013/alex-hancox

So as of now he is just pass through Bexhill Sussex...

·
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Alex is now in Dover, and is trying to find a way to cross the channel to FRANCE...!!!

172 miles purely by hitchhiking...!!! See how the channel crossing goes now, how will he blag that for free...

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
This is pretty cool. Good luck to your son. Looking forward to seeing the updates on this one. :)

·
Premium Member
2,476 Posts
I'm confused too, if we donate money and he uses that to buy himself a ticket wouldn't that disqualify him? Because you know, he would have a paper trail going back to his bank or credit card.

·
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No all the money goes direct to the 4 charities, he has to travel with NO cost...!!!

He is about to land in France, so hopefully he will of managed to talk a driver (hopefully a lorry driver) into taking him onwards... Lorry driver makes more sense as they can talk on the radios and plan more lifts further down the road...

The only money he is allowed to spend is on food and drink, out of his own pocket...!!!

NO TRAVEL COSTS allowed to be paid for by him, family, friends... If he can balg someone else into paying for him, that is ok... So if someone bought him a train ticket or plane ticket that cost is by the person buying it...

He just has to get as far as possible...

2 guys have made it to Malaga, in Spain and are currently heading to Gibraltar, and hoping to get to Morocco...!!! They talked someone into buying there plane tickets for them... Haha

·
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ALL the money raised goes to these charities...

The Alzheimer's Society
Children with Cancer
Dorset Blind Association
Autism Wessex

·
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alex's link is at the top of the page...

This link shows a link to a map and some messages...

Everytime someone texts in, it logs there location as to where they are... ;

https://www.raise2give.com/leggit-2013/

There are a few now on there way to france, belgium, germany and holland but it is basically anywhere they think they can get too... ;)

·
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Calais is not proving very easy to hitch from, however, they have blagged a room in a cheap hotel for the night and are gonna start again bright and early...!!!

Lets hope the 6am start proves productive...

·
Premium Member
2,476 Posts
That sounds like a fun thing to do. Although it would be a little embarrassing asking for free rides all the time. But seems not totally unreasonable to make it around the world doing this.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts