Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

So the title says it all. I can’t get this screw out of my binding. I originally stripped the head, then tried drilling out, finally tried cutting away washers (might have not cut deep enough) in hope I could just dremel off the top of the screw.

My final thought is that I could use metal to metal epoxy to “weld” an old Allen wrench to the screw and force it out.

Very frustrating, if anyone could give insight that’d be great. Pictures below.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I use a hand impact driver for those stuck screws. It's a screwdriver that you hit with a hammer. Each hammer blow turns the screw a little bit while smashing the bit down into the screw so it can't strip out. It's very effective. There might be enough of that screw left to get some traction. IDK.

Using a penetrating lubricant like PB Blaster can also help loosen those stuck screws.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Or buy a stripped screw extractor kit. It's basically a reverse threaded metal drill bit. Harbor freight for 5$. Dont dremel the head off, the threads will still be stuck with little to grab onto to get it out

·
Registered
844 Posts
I wouldn't use and impact driver. I'd use PB Parts Blaster and a screw extractor. Another option would be to (carefully) drill down the screw and that will usually get the threads to loosen up. Good luck.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Keep drilling it. Use a drill bit the same diameter as the mounting screw. Looks like you still have a few mm's before you take the head off it. Once the head breaks away you'll be able to slide the insert out

·
Registered
174 Posts
Keep drilling it. Use a drill bit the same diameter as the mounting screw. Looks like you still have a few mm's before you take the head off it. Once the head breaks away you'll be able to slide the insert out
This go slow , at one point you'll be able to remove the head of the screw.

If you want to invest get a drill bit that "drills" counter clock wise. Most of the time it will unscrew the screw..

Take your time
Take your time
don't put too muich weight while drilling, get extra drill bits.

Take your time.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I forgot this is a channel board. Definitely just drill that sucker out. I wouldn't bother with a screw extractor, since you just replace the insert if you damage it. I'd go with a bit slightly smaller than the screw and drill into the screw. That will get the screw to release and you'll be able to remove it with a screwdriver.

·
Registered
9,395 Posts
Drill the screw head off.
Remove binding.
Remove insert.
Replace insert.

·
Registered
72 Posts
If you're not sure about your skills, take it to a board shop, pretty sure they dealt already with such issues, you ain't the first one.

Envoyé de mon SM-A520W en utilisant Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts