Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
INCREDIBLE board. Wasn’t even in the market for a new board and can’t even tell you how I learned of it, but sure glad I did. Just the other day I was thinking about what boards I’ve owned that I feel REALLY noticed a difference. Going back years ago I would have to say the 1650 Kidwell, the Mystery Air, 158 Ride Jason Ford and more recent the 2005’ish Burton Malolo 163 and now this 158 Burton Stun Gun.

This morning we received 7” new which it’s a ton but I knew a good day to try out my new deck. First turns on it was from the lodge down to the chair (approx 100 yards) on my way down I purposely made some quick turns and noticed right away how fast it was from edge to edge and how fast it was.

The first run was a fresh groomer to the secret spot to drop off our backpack, linking turns was very easy, fast edge to edge and very stable at speed. We made our first powder turns after the drop through some thick steep trees, floatation was perfect even for my 6’1” 240 frame, the short tail is super quick. The board feels light under your feet and very dependable on high speed groomers.

I would label this StunGun the All Mountain FISH, I have a 160 FISH and the similarity in riding powder was very close.

So if you’re looking for an All Mountain board, that can rip powder, bomb groomers/flat spots and carve as good as anything I’ve owned over the last 34 yrs, get the StunGun

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
INCREDIBLE board. Wasn’t even in the market for a new board and can’t even tell you how I learned of it, but sure glad I did. Just the other day I was thinking about what boards I’ve owned that I feel REALLY noticed a difference. Going back years ago I would have to say the 1650 Kidwell, the Mystery Air, 158 Ride Jason Ford and more recent the 2005’ish Burton Malolo 163 and now this 158 Burton Stun Gun.

This morning we received 7” new which it’s a ton but I knew a good day to try out my new deck. First turns on it was from the lodge down to the chair (approx 100 yards) on my way down I purposely made some quick turns and noticed right away how fast it was from edge to edge and how fast it was.

The first run was a fresh groomer to the secret spot to drop off our backpack, linking turns was very easy, fast edge to edge and very stable at speed. We made our first powder turns after the drop through some thick steep trees, floatation was perfect even for my 6’1” 240 frame, the short tail is super quick. The board feels light under your feet and very dependable on high speed groomers.

I would label this StunGun the All Mountain FISH, I have a 160 FISH and the similarity in riding powder was very close.

So if you’re looking for an All Mountain board, that can rip powder, bomb groomers/flat spots and carve as good as anything I’ve owned over the last 34 yrs, get the StunGun
Any pic's?

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
I was talking about this earlier with a guy looking for a board in the current lineup that rode like a Fish, but not super volume-shifted like the Bottom Feeder

https://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/258943-japan-pow-board-10.html

But yeah, an all mountain Fish is a good reference. Or I prefer calling it.... a Fishyfied Flight Attendant :giggle:
But yes, it rides similar to the Fish (much more to the older camber Fish).

I wouldn't say it's a very stable board, at least not compared to Flight Attendant, Landlord, Archetype, Dupraz, etc. Short effective edge, very poppy, lots of setback and soft-ish flex... doesn't make for a super stable board. But, the board grows as soon as you hit some powder. Super cool feeling.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Really surprised you feel it wasn’t stable or stiff ? I have the full camber Fish and the Landlord, the first thing I thought when I was checking out the board at a LBS was that it felt stiffer then the Landlord. Yesterday was the first day on it and I would put it up against any other board I’ve owned/ridden on groomers, I was paying extra attention to the feel of the edge carving with no slip and running it flat I had no fear of an edge catch (scorpion).

I was a little worried of the short effective edge, but then I thought shorter e/e the more pressure is being applied to that edge, similar to slalom race skis and I felt that to be true. I have this section of a groomer run that knowone ever runs (not sure why ?) the Stun Gun was laying hard euro carves on that section all day

·
Registered
32 Posts
I was just looking into this board, I was looking at the 158 which I am just out of the recommended weight range for (155 lbs) but it gives it the longer effective edge, the 158 actually has a pretty similar effective edge and running length to the 159 flight attendant, which I was also looking at.

Since the stun gun actually has a softer flex rating I figured oversizing could just make it more comparable to an appropriately sized FA but just better in powder. I want something with great float that can charge through choppy powder after its been tracked out and carve decently. Thoughts?

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
Really surprised you feel it wasn’t stable or stiff ? I have the full camber Fish and the Landlord, the first thing I thought when I was checking out the board at a LBS was that it felt stiffer then the Landlord. Yesterday was the first day on it and I would put it up against any other board I’ve owned/ridden on groomers, I was paying extra attention to the feel of the edge carving with no slip and running it flat I had no fear of an edge catch (scorpion).

I was a little worried of the short effective edge, but then I thought shorter e/e the more pressure is being applied to that edge, similar to slalom race skis and I felt that to be true. I have this section of a groomer run that knowone ever runs (not sure why ?) the Stun Gun was laying hard euro carves on that section all day
Nah absolutely not stiffer than the Landlord. Not even close. It may have felt a certain way at the shop; but I have both boards and the LL is considerably more stable and stiffer. I rode them back to back same day last yr and have ridden those 2 boards the most this season. No comparison. Was also on the Cheetah this weekend, and that's also a more stable and speed-capable board.

The LL has the same core as the Custom X, the Stun Gun has the same core as the regular Custom.

Also, I never said it is not stable or that you can't carve on it. It has some stability and you can certainly have a ton of fun on groomers.

I was just looking into this board, I was looking at the 158 which I am just out of the recommended weight range for (155 lbs) but it gives it the longer effective edge, the 158 actually has a pretty similar effective edge and running length to the 159 flight attendant, which I was also looking at.

Since the stun gun actually has a softer flex rating I figured oversizing could just make it more comparable to an appropriately sized FA but just better in powder. I want something with great float that can charge through choppy powder after its been tracked out and carve decently. Thoughts?
I actually thought about that when i tried the SG last year. I rode the 155 and it was super fun, but I stayed thinking about the 158... In the end I got the 155 because it was closer for my weight at 175lbs, but also because the 155 fell in a better spot within my other boards.

Not sure what to say in your case. But even for my weight, the 155 floats super well. But I see what you mean about edge. For it being med stiff I dont think it would be a major problem being undersized for it, but.. who knows. You'll definitely lose a bit of how quickly you can whip it around vs gaining stability... personally, I can totally ride the 158, but Ii have US 10.5 boots and heavier than you.

Flight Att is definitely more stable, but not as floaty. Also it feels pretty much like a twin. I have a 163 Flight Att split... but when on it, I'm on bigger stuff (ie not tight trees) and carrying a lot more weight on my back.

I would rather be on a 158 SG split (IF they made one) than the 163 FA...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Flight Att is definitely more stable, but not as floaty. Also it feels pretty much like a twin. I have a 163 Flight Att split... but when on it, I'm on bigger stuff (ie not tight trees) and carrying a lot more weight on my back.

By more stable do you mean in messy snow? One thing I'm definitely wondering is for powder, and specifically tracked out powder/crud conditions. When the snow gets super uneven like that I get bucked around and my knees take a beating. Between the two which do you think would do better? I'd love to test them back to back on a powder day to see what I prefer but I dont think I'll get the chance.

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
By more stable do you mean in messy snow? One thing I'm definitely wondering is for powder, and specifically tracked out powder/crud conditions. When the snow gets super uneven like that I get bucked around and my knees take a beating. Between the two which do you think would do better? I'd love to test them back to back on a powder day to see what I prefer but I dont think I'll get the chance.
Yeah, stability agaisnt chop and at higher speeds.
The FA has more camber, less setback and more edge than the Stun Gun. All these mean it's more stable, period. BUT the Stun Gun is awesome in powder, the FA is ok.

So in the end it's a bit of the same compromise everyone has to make. All said and done, the compromise with the SG is a pretty good one because the board is very fun, very poppy, quick to turn and floats great; it is really directional. And the downsides are liveable.

The FA is simply more versatile. More twin, more stable, more edge and about equally poppy (maybe more?); but does not feel the same in powder.

At your weight, I think the 155 SG would be perfect. Not too much concern with stability, just don't expect a Jones Hovercraft, Burton Dump Truck or something like that.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Yeah, stability agaisnt chop and at higher speeds.
The FA has more camber, less setback and more edge than the Stun Gun. All these mean it's more stable, period. BUT the Stun Gun is awesome in powder, the FA is ok.

So in the end it's a bit of the same compromise everyone has to make. All said and done, the compromise with the SG is a pretty good one because the board is very fun, very poppy, quick to turn and floats great; it is really directional. And the downsides are liveable.

The FA is simply more versatile. More twin, more stable, more edge and about equally poppy (maybe more?); but does not feel the same in powder.

At your weight, I think the 155 SG would be perfect. Not too much concern with stability, just don't expect a Jones Hovercraft, Burton Dump Truck or something like that.
Just ran over the specs on a 154 Dump Truck to a 155 Stun Gun. They look close with SG being a little wider in the nose and tail.
Is there more tail length in a DT over a SG?
Does the nose rocker begin at a similar point?
Is the camber the same?

About to grab one for my son (20yrs).

He rode his '13 Burton Vapor most of the time and only took the branch manager out a few times. I think he just loves the lightness and tech in the Vapor. Rides it pretty aggressively.

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
Just ran over the specs on a 154 Dump Truck to a 155 Stun Gun. They look close with SG being a little wider in the nose and tail.
Is there more tail length in a DT over a SG?
Does the nose rocker begin at a similar point?
Is the camber the same?

About to grab one for my son (20yrs).

He rode his '13 Burton Vapor most of the time and only took the branch manager out a few times. I think he just loves the lightness and tech in the Vapor. Rides it pretty aggressively.
But the 155 Stun gun is more equivalent to the 158 Dump Truck. (Check the weight ratings). So yea the SG is wider and more volume-shifted.

I didnt compare all the specs/features side by side on a table, but I did ride briefly the 154 DT same day with the 155 SG last yr. So like I mentioned above, DT is more of a ripper board... SG more playful and poppy etc.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
But the 155 Stun gun is more equivalent to the 158 Dump Truck. (Check the weight ratings). So yea the SG is wider and more volume-shifted.

I didnt compare all the specs/features side by side on a table, but I did ride briefly the 154 DT same day with the 155 SG last yr. So like I mentioned above, DT is more of a ripper board... SG more playful and poppy etc.
Can't find any 150 SG in Australia (except SG retro). He's like 74kg kitted up but at advanced/expert level. He's more of a charger, tree runs, ripping jumps etc whilst I'm always looking to glide into those deep powder pockets......, funny about the differences between the young and the old. :chin:

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
Can't find any 150 SG in Australia (except SG retro). He's like 74kg kitted up but at advanced/expert level. He's more of a charger, tree runs, ripping jumps etc whilst I'm always looking to glide into those deep powder pockets......, funny about the differences between the young and the old. :chin:
Looks like he should be on the 155 then. Im like 80kg on the 155 and it's my cruisey board.

If he's a charger, jumps etc and notthat interested in pow then why not look for Flight Attendant, Deep Thinker or something like that?

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Looks like he should be on the 155 then. Im like 80kg on the 155 and it's my cruisey board.

If he's a charger, jumps etc and not that interested in pow then why not look for Flight Attendant, Deep Thinker or something like that?
My sons 155 Stun Gun came today. Gee it's a frigging great looking board. Ran the tape over it as it looks fantastically set back. Nose to front ref is 600mm while tail to rear ref is 400mm. So it has 200mm of setback at ref and a pretty good amount of Rocker forward of the front binding......, should be a blast in the powder. Laid my sons 155 Branch Manager over it and they look similar in width with BM only 7.1mm less nose width and same tail widths. The BM has a shorter 33mm EE and a much tighter sidecut radius. The SG has heaps more area in the nose and tail area though. Well he now has to wait about 4 months to test it out.

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
My sons 155 Stun Gun came today. Gee it's a frigging great looking board. Ran the tape over it as it looks fantastically set back. Nose to front ref is 600mm while tail to rear ref is 400mm. So it has 200mm of setback at ref and a pretty good amount of Rocker forward of the front binding......, should be a blast in the powder. Laid my sons 155 Branch Manager over it and they look similar in width with BM only 7.1mm less nose width and same tail widths. The BM has a shorter 33mm EE and a much tighter sidecut radius. The SG has heaps more area in the nose and tail area though. Well he now has to wait about 4 months to test it out.
Pretty sure he'll be stoked... specially once he rides it in powder.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I know he’ll be stoked, I had mine out last week in about 10” of fresh, with the short tail (same as my Fish) it is very snappy in the trees.
The other thing I’m enjoying on the SG is freshly cut groomers for those runs back to the stashes, it really wants to carve

My buddy has a Dump Trunk so we switched boards for two runs, the DT rode very similar to the SG, the only thing I felt was that the DT seamed a little stiffer.

Any chase I could crash on your couch next August, love to try an Aussie winter. I do dishes and you won’t even see me.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I know he’ll be stoked, I had mine out last week in about 10” of fresh, with the short tail (same as my Fish) it is very snappy in the trees.
The other thing I’m enjoying on the SG is freshly cut groomers for those runs back to the stashes, it really wants to carve

My buddy has a Dump Trunk so we switched boards for two runs, the DT rode very similar to the SG, the only thing I felt was that the DT seamed a little stiffer.

Any chase I could crash on your couch next August, love to try an Aussie winter. I do dishes and you won’t even see me.
Unfortunately we live 650km from the Snow. Lucky for us we own a house down there. Australian winter is okay but nothing to get that excited about.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Just looking at 2020 Burton Catalogue, wondering what boards next season will run similar in specs to SG or dump truck.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
DT - Landlord/HTH/Custom X, SG - Onehitter/Skeleton Key/Flight Attendant. So that means, grab an SG or DT if you want those boards, because you won't really find the same boards next year, unless it's on late release.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I actually thought about that when i tried the SG last year. I rode the 155 and it was super fun, but I stayed thinking about the 158... In the end I got the 155 because it was closer for my weight at 175lbs, but also because the 155 fell in a better spot within my other boards.

F1EA,

I've ordered a 2019 Burton Stun Gun 158, and I wanted to know your thoughts on the sizing. I'm 5'10" and 170-80 lbs and currently ride a 2019 Burton Custom Flying V 154 (my east coast Vermont board). After riding between the trees in really deep powder in British Columbia last year, I promised myself I'd get a longer board, because I kept drowning in the powder. I've been thinking of the Stun Gun to be my out-West tree riding board for almost a year now, and I finally ordered one a few weeks ago. Do you think 158 was the better choice than 155? I'm starting worry I may have ordered the wrong size.

Also, my BC friend who is much shorter and skinnier and lighter than I am rides a 158 Flight Attendant Splitboard (2019), and he regrets not getting the 163 FA split, because the powder is so relentless there in British Columbia. I was also using this as my sizing reference for getting the 158 SG.

I didn't want to have a board too similar to my 154 Custom Flying V. The Custom is my All Mountain board. It's perfect for what I do in the East Coast.

But East Coast powder is not West Coast powder. I want the 158 Stun Gun to be my tree riding/deep powder board (because of the short tail for quick turns between the trees and the big nose for the powder, etc.)

Now I'm wondering if the bigger the size will make it more difficult to navigate between the trees. But maybe this is a moot point because I'll be in deep powder anyway.

I’m also wondering if the 154 Custom Flying V can't be compared to the 155 Stun Gun camber, because the flexes are too different? Like if the 155 SG will feel similar or completely different to the 154 Custom Flying V? Or if the 158 is necessary to feel the difference? (I'm assuming the rocker/camber difference is felt right away.)

Thanks for the help! Your 5'10" height and 175lb profile matches mine perfectly. So it was reassuring to read that you can ride the 158 perfectly.

I know this comment is a year late and you will probably not see it....

Happy Riding!

Hunter

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
F1EA,

I've ordered a 2019 Burton Stun Gun 158, and I wanted to know your thoughts on the sizing. I'm 5'10" and 170-80 lbs and currently ride a 2019 Burton Custom Flying V 154 (my east coast Vermont board). After riding between the trees in really deep powder in British Columbia last year, I promised myself I'd get a longer board, because I kept drowning in the powder. I've been thinking of the Stun Gun to be my out-West tree riding board for almost a year now, and I finally ordered one a few weeks ago. Do you think 158 was the better choice than 155? I'm starting worry I may have ordered the wrong size.

Also, my BC friend who is much shorter and skinnier and lighter than I am rides a 158 Flight Attendant Splitboard (2019), and he regrets not getting the 163 FA split, because the powder is so relentless there in British Columbia. I was also using this as my sizing reference for getting the 158 SG.

I didn't want to have a board too similar to my 154 Custom Flying V. The Custom is my All Mountain board. It's perfect for what I do in the East Coast.

But East Coast powder is not West Coast powder. I want the 158 Stun Gun to be my tree riding/deep powder board (because of the short tail for quick turns between the trees and the big nose for the powder, etc.)

Now I'm wondering if the bigger the size will make it more difficult to navigate between the trees. But maybe this is a moot point because I'll be in deep powder anyway.

I’m also wondering if the 154 Custom Flying V can't be compared to the 155 Stun Gun camber, because the flexes are too different? Like if the 155 SG will feel similar or completely different to the 154 Custom Flying V? Or if the 158 is necessary to feel the difference? (I'm assuming the rocker/camber difference is felt right away.)

Thanks for the help! Your 5'10" height and 175lb profile matches mine perfectly. So it was reassuring to read that you can ride the 158 perfectly.

I know this comment is a year late and you will probably not see it....

Happy Riding!

Hunter
You're on the bottom level of the size chart for this board at 180lbs. If you are an aggressive rider you really won't have any problems at all with this size. Just ride it at reference (which is 200mm of setback). You need volume/speed/taper/directional to excel in the powder so the 158 SG will cover all of these for you. It's a sic looking board.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts