Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
She lives in NY so need something for our icey groomers. She is fairly new but can carve. She needs something stable and will be easy to turn and carve. She is interested in the GNU B Pro C2BTX or something similar but less expensive. She is boot size 10 5'6 or 5'7 and is 170lbs. Also suggest a size board
Thanks

·
Registered
125 Posts
I'm looking for a board for my friend too. She's about 5'10, 135 lbs. Pretty much a beginner still learning how to carve. I was thinking 149 or 150 might be a good size for her. Should she consider a rockered board or something with a regular camber? Maybe a Never Summer Pandora?

·
Registered
395 Posts
I just got (well ordered) my wife the B-Pro...it was the one woman's board that came in a 155 and was wide enough for her big feet. I would think at 170 you would want to look at the 152 if not the 155.

How long do you have to make this purchase? If you can wait a couple weeks the end of season closeout sales will start and you can save some money. I was trying to wait but I couldn't find the 155 at any place other than REI and I didn't want them to sell out so I paid full price.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think she is mainly shopping around as of now doing research and gonna buy it when shes ready. When do you think prices will drop? As of now she rides a 154 so 152/155 sounds about right to me. Any other boards you guys would suggest for her? Doesnt have to be GNU it can be any brand/price/model. Really just shopping around as of now

·
Registered
799 Posts
Are these ladies actually carving or are they linking turns. Carving is a special kind of intermediate-advanced turn that a lot of people confuse with just linking turns.

The B-Pro is an excellent board, but I wouldn't consider it an easy-to-turn board. It's pretty stiff and Gnu's most aggressive female model.

For out east, I definitely recommend a board with magnetraction or vario grip (Never Summer's equivalent) for those ice and hardpack kind of days.

For Gnu, I would recommend the B-Nice. It's geared toward progressing riders, but it's not a totally soft board.

Roxy also makes some killer boards with tech similar to Gnu (magnetraction and C2BTX). Check out the Eminence (the 2010-2011 model) and the Ollie Pop.

I would also recommend the Never Summer Pandora or the Infinity. I love the Pandora because it's a softer freestyle board, but it has the vario grip and dampening, which makes it stable in choppy conditions. The Pandora is the softest of the boards mentioned here. The Infinity is another excellent board - it will go all over the mountain and last your ladies a long time.

Boards go on sale in late February and early March. If you need longer sizes (high 140's and up) you'll probably have a lot of good decks to choose from, but you should buy as soon as they go on sale or you'll miss out.

Other solid boards for beginners without magentraction: Capita Space Metal Fantasy, Rome Vinyl, K2 Luna or Lunatique, Ride Compact.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Ollie Pop vs Pandora

The rocker-camber combo on the new Ollie Pop is very similar to the Pandora. Both grip well on ice, with a slight edge to the magnetraction on the Roxy.

The Roxy will be slightly stiffer and more stable for all-mountain riding. However, the Pandora does have excellent dampening for those choppy days.

The Pandora will be more fun in the park - it is very buttery, easy to press and mess around on. The Ollie Pop will perform slightly better on groomers and jumps.

That being said, the Pandora is my board of choice. I'm small, so I need a soft board and the Pandora is by far the most stable park board I've tried. Both are quality decks and somewhat similar - couldn't go wrong with either in my opinion.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts