Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to pick up a second board to start rounding out my quiver. (5'11 170 pounds)

I currently have a 156W Burton Speed Date - I've been using this as an all-mountain board but this thing rips, carves, and is great for charging pow. I think this board excels best in deep open pow bowls, and I'm looking for a board that will let me have a more slow/playful ride.

I'm thinking that my second board should be more of a slashy, short/fat that would work better for some fun tree riding (ie. Japan). Ideally something that uses the channel system too so I don't have to pick up some new bindings while I'm at it.

Any thoughts on board suggestions for the above? I've been looking into the endeavor archetype 154 so far, or even the Jones Storm Chaser if I do go the route of picking up new bindings.

·
Premium Member
2,795 Posts
The only true 'short/fat' on the channel is the Burton Bottom Feeder 150, which would definitely fit the bill for you. At 170lb and depending on your boot size, I wouldn't be looking at a 154 Archetype, 158 is where you'd be and then that's not a slow/playful ride. The Endeavour Scout could also work, you'd be pushing it on the 152 but if playful is what you're after then go for it, even the 156 will be much less aggressive than your current Speed Date so still kinda makes sense.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What makes you say you wouldn't be looking at the 154 archetype? The listed weight range they have for the 154 is 140-190 pounds, which I'm right in the middle of. A 257mm waist width seems relatively wide, too.

·
Premium Member
2,795 Posts
I'm 200lb, riding the 162 which is 263 waist, size 9 boot. My display picture is carving on it, and I'm right on the edge of booting out there. The board has 30mm of taper, it's not wide across the rear inserts.

If you're at all thinking of Japan, a 154 Archetype at 170lb will not have you smiling. It's not as set back as it looks, on reference you're actually very close to centered, you'd have to slam it as far back as the channel allows and even then I'd have my doubts for you. The 158 is the size you'd want, but then it won't have the riding characteristics you're after either. It's a freeride/pow board, you can ride it slowly and playfully but that's not where it shines.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Gotcha, makes sense, I forgot about that taper - I'm a size 10.5 boot so definitely weary of width towards the back of the board.

I have thought about the Bottom Feeder, which would make sense for me given it's kind of the exact opposite build from the Speed Date, but am hesitant because (1) I think there are better boards I could look into if I do go non-channel, which may just be worth the investment and (2) it seems tacky to have 2 boards from the same Family Tree line with almost the exact same graphic (which may be a stupid reason, I know).

Maybe it'd be best to just pick up a different set of bindings to open up my options for something like a Sushi/Storm Chaser, and so I'm not limited to channel systems down the road either.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts