Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I have been snowboarding for about 10 years now. Not as much since adult life has taken over haha but still get to enjoy a few times a year. Anyways I am a web developer so I decided to put by professional skills to work with my love for snowboarding and make a site dedicated to it.

Basically the site gets product feeds from about 20 different shops across the web (evo, proboardshop, dogfunk, tactics, the house, etc) so its nice and easy to find good prices on boards, and if you go to the product page it lists the price for the same product on competing sites. Keep in mind none of these are my products, nothing is sold on my site. Site also features lift tickets at discount prices, not in all areas but most.

The Site:
Snowboarding Shop | Dope Boards

Are their any features my fellow snowboarders would like to see on a site like mine? Do you think its any good? Any feed back is welcome!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This is just a one man project, not meant to be spammy or anything. Just genuinely looking for some feed back, in order to move towards a kick ass site for the snowboarding community.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking of maybe trail and lift reports, trail maps and directions. Would any one find this helpful or just as easy to go to your local spots page to get the info?

I would really be stoked some feed back

·
Super Moderator
6,344 Posts
Most people are at work right now. Give it 24 hours before you get antsy.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Most people are at work right now. Give it 24 hours before you get antsy.
Haha yea im at work too, but being a web developer has its perks like being online all day. Trying to keep calm haha just excited to see what people think since i just launched

·
Banned!
7,679 Posts
Your logo is a dude spitting?

Also, when we can we like to push people who ask to shop locally as opposed to these big discount sites, which is obviously a pretty major disconnect from what you are doing.

good luck

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
But yea the logo will prob be changed/updated, got a buddy in graphic design working on something. That was just something i put together. Coding is my strong point not graphics but ive been trying

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Local is always good, especially for boots, but when your on a budget saving a $100 might be the difference between getting the board you want or settling for the one you can afford at your local shop. I live in southern Maryland, not many shops around here.

·
The Swiss Miss
7,441 Posts
Keep in mind none of these are my products, nothing is sold on my site.
This is not clear at first sight. There's a chart, thus I think I'm on the site of a shop.
What's the difference between a "Splitboard" and a "Split Snowboard"... :huh: No stats on the board are given (only looked at the Zephyr split). And the search function doesn't work (at least not on my mobile).

I'd be interested in a handy resort overview including stats and maps though; include snow hight and recent snowfall, and stats on the last -say- 10y. Start with Europe :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This is not clear at first sight. There's a chart, thus I think I'm on the site of a shop.
What's the difference between a "Splitboard" and a "Split Snowboard"... :huh: No stats on the board are given (only looked at the Zephyr split). And the search function doesn't work (at least not on my mobile).

I'd be interested in a handy resort overview including stats and maps though; include snow hight and recent snowfall, and stats on the last -say- 10y. Start with Europe :)
Hey neni thanks for the response. I build the site on a e-commerce platform because it included alot of the functionality i needed so the cart was included. Good point though, I will remove the cart.

As far as the split board goes its just a variation of category names from different shop feeds. I had to add alot of manual name mapping to normalize things, must have missed that one. Will make a note to add that to the mapping for updates.

Your right I need to figure out a way to get more specs on the board, the product feeds only provide a price and description but im sure i can figure something out.

Search should be working fine, at least it does on my laptop and android. Just not returning results or was it giving an error?

·
The Swiss Miss
7,441 Posts
Search should be working fine, at least it does on my laptop and android.
Fine now.
Oh, and def. change the logo! Put a snowflake or a unicorn or whatever but change it :D

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
Hey neni thanks for the response. I build the site on a e-commerce platform because it included alot of the functionality i needed so the cart was included. Good point though, I will remove the cart.

As far as the split board goes its just a variation of category names from different shop feeds. I had to add alot of manual name mapping to normalize things, must have missed that one. Will make a note to add that to the mapping for updates.

Your right I need to figure out a way to get more specs on the board, the product feeds only provide a price and description but im sure i can figure something out.

Search should be working fine, at least it does on my laptop and android. Just not returning results or was it giving an error?
It works fine on my android, but not on the iPhone. The keyboard has a "done" button and a "return" button, but not a "go" button and there isn't one next to the field.
It DEFINITELY reads as if your selling the merchandise. Don't get a lame board, get a dope board from Dope Boards Snowboarding Shop!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the info on Iphone, the magnifying glass should start the search but will add in a search button so there isn't any issue.

Will look into changing the text as well.

Thanks for all the notes guys, keep em coming

·
Super Moderator
6,344 Posts
Are you actually going to build some kind of business model, or is this just a hobby?

If I had a wish for a snowboarding site, it would be something that shows all the hills and resorts, flagged on google maps, with trail-maps, season statistics, maybe pictures and videos, comments by users, etc. Of course then you're not selling anything, so advertising model? I think you'd have to avoid requiring any kind of fee from the hills, as that would automatically skew your site.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Are you actually going to build some kind of business model, or is this just a hobby?

If I had a wish for a snowboarding site, it would be something that shows all the hills and resorts, flagged on google maps, with trail-maps, season statistics, maybe pictures and videos, comments by users, etc. Of course then you're not selling anything, so advertising model? I think you'd have to avoid requiring any kind of fee from the hills, as that would automatically skew your site.
No real business model, more of a hobby that im hoping to make a few bucks off of. I am a developer not a business man. Basically the plan was to create a site that displayed a lot of snowboards from across the web and show price comparisons. Basically a snowboard deal finder, so people hit my site find the board they like at the cheapest price, then i get a small commission on what they purchase from the host site. Right now i rank on the second and third page for 'snowboarding shop' and 'snowboard shop' so i have been driving an ok amount of traffic.

Plan is to do a complete db of hills and resorts with as much info as possible, it going to be a long process making scripts to get the info, but if it drives more traffic great. Just need to balance the cost of server with amount of revenue generated from advertisements. I started for this site: Top 5 East Coast Terrain Parks | Snowpacked.com if you look at seven springs park stats, conditions, and closed trails

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Your logo is a dude spitting?

Also, when we can we like to push people who ask to shop locally as opposed to these big discount sites, which is obviously a pretty major disconnect from what you are doing.

good luck
Whatever he's spitting looks an awful lot like sperms :blink:

1 - 20 of 88 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.