Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hows it going everyone? 2 friends & myself are planning on a week-long trip up to the northeast this winter around the end of Jan - early Feb. What would be the best mountains in the area to go? We have a timeshare but not sure where to use it. Suggestions would be appreciated, & we all snowboard if that means anything (i heard Stowe is a "skiers" resort :dunno:). My buddy Alex & myself are more on the advanced side of boarding, where my other buddy is still a "beginner" if that helps with any choices.

Thanks in advance - Ryan

·
Veteran Member
11,555 Posts
Pretty sure Stowe is where Burton gets a season pass for their employees. Couldn't be more of a snowboarders mountain I would think.

Jay is always a popular choice.

Otherwise, I'd hop a plane and go to Utah or Colorado for the week...

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks!, ill look into Jay & also thanks for the info on stowe not being a skiers resort lol the only problem with going out west is dropping $ on a plane ticket...staying on the east we will drive (from delaware)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Maybe try and do a couple days in the north and a couple days in the south? Do you plan on going out?

You could also stay in Burlington and drive to different resorts everyday. Most are under 2 hour drive.

From Burlington

Bolton Valley 35 min
Burke Just under 2 hours
Jay 1h30min
Smugglers Notch 1 hour
Stowe 45min
Killington/Pico 1h45
WhiteFace 2hours

Or on 2nd thoughts you might want to stay a central resort (probably more timeshare options) like Stowe and you would actually be closer to the different resorts...

Depends if you want to do different resorts or stay at one.

My experience is I have been to Jay many times, stayed in Burlington a couple times. Been to Pico Killington and WhiteFace once.

I'm also not sure what you consider acceptable for a day trip as I have personally done Ottawa to Jay Peak as a day trip multiple times and that is a 4 hour ride each way in good weather (obviously I only go when they get dumped on!!!)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
we are really trying to stay on a resort becuase of the time share & im sure sticking to 1 mountain will be more then what we have to play with in PA. Any good night life in the Stowe area? or what would be the best resort/nightlife combo? We will be also taking a few days off just to travel around and hit up some breweries (especially the alchemist for some headytopper :eek:ccasion14: )

thanks for all the info fellas

·
Registered
445 Posts
Killington is known for their nightlife...I can't speak to Stowe. Killington is also one of the biggest resorts in the NE so you'd probably have more than enough terrain to keep you busy for a few days.

Stratton is good, pricier but its also near a few smaller mountains (Bromley, Magic, Snow) - all VERY driveable.

Don't do Okemo. Boring mountain IMO, plus it sees a lot of yuppies. You'll see more people wearing jeans down the hill than...well...I don't have a good comparison but you get it.

What else...I'll ponder some more....

·
Registered
27 Posts
Jay has awesome riding especially glades but night life does not exist. Unless you want to drive to Montreal

Killington night life from my experience is pretty good. The main road leading to the hill has a couple good bars to party. They also have a free shuttle to drive you around. As a bonus your killington ticket is good at Pico, a fairly large hill mostly aimed at family/beginners.

Burlington nightlife is good as they have a college right in town with students everywhere. If you like beer the Vermont Pub and Brewery is the place. They have won tons of awards for their beers and is very reasonably priced.

·
Registered
49 Posts
You make a decision yet on what mtn would suit you the best?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea killington. Mostly due to the nightlife, now we are just waiting on the timeshare & we will be all set. Just hopefully no one bails out of our group

Also I see your from nj, what resort do you goto?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Been to Stratton a few times but If I'm going for any thing more than 4 days I go to Sugarloaf up in Maine. Is a great mountain.

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
North Conway or Franconia

From tourist friendly North Conway you are a stones throw from Mt. Cranmore, which isn't really worth going to. However, within a 30 minutes drive you can hit Wildcat, Bretton Woods and Attitash. Timeshares are dirt cheap in North Conway. If you stay in Franconia, which is where I will be spending seven days this January, you can focus on the riding the steeps and hitting the large park jumps at both Cannon and Loon. Both resorts are first rate and afford as technical riding as you will find in VT.

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
the loaf

I go to Sugarloaf up in Maine. Is a great mountain.
I was up there for seven days last year. I arrived the morning that kid went missing out in the side country. Sugarloaf is a great mountain. The one thing I didn't like was that they don't have a high-speed lift from the lodge to the summit. If you ride the ungroomed peak and cut into the sidecountry, when you come out on the base you have to hop two lifts to get back topside. Still a great mountain though. I also went to Sunday River and Saddleback on that trip. Sunday river always feels ten degrees colder than anywhere else, they are on the north side and get very little sun.

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
Killington has a ton of terrain and like someone said they own Pico right next door. On a pow day Pico is the place to be. They have awesome glades and not many people go there. I'll be checking out the night life early Jan when my friend comes up for a week. Normally day trip it or stay in Rutland.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
From tourist friendly North Conway you are a stones throw from Mt. Cranmore, which isn't really worth going to. However, within a 30 minutes drive you can hit Wildcat, Bretton Woods and Attitash. Timeshares are dirt cheap in North Conway. If you stay in Franconia, which is where I will be spending seven days this January, you can focus on the riding the steeps and hitting the large park jumps at both Cannon and Loon. Both resorts are first rate and afford as technical riding as you will find in VT.
I have never heard of North Condway...ill have to look into it.

We actually ended up getting a Condo at Stowe for Dec.14-21, if anyone is gonna be around there that date hit me up! show us around this beast of a resort compared to the PA mountains...

anyone know how the conditions will be at Stowe for this time of year?

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
That's New Hampshire, not Vermont. NH is cheaper and less touristy than VT. The one-two punch of Cannon and Loon is hard to top in the Northeast. Franconia notch provides the best vert around, and the pitch...

·
Premium Member
516 Posts

We actually ended up getting a Condo at Stowe for Dec.14-21, if anyone is gonna be around there that date hit me up! show us around this beast of a resort compared to the PA mountains...

anyone know how the conditions will be at Stowe for this time of year?
East coast resort early season....you won't need anyone to show you around with the handful of runs that will be open.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
even with the "projected" opening date being a month before?

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
I'll be up at Smuggs in early December, I figure between there, Stowe, Jay and Sunday River I should be able to squeeze a few good days in somewhere, probably stop at Sugar Bush or Mad River Glenn on my way south too.

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
December is a bit early but it depends on the snow gods. This is last week from Stowe:

Its a great mountain and plenty of fun to have at night. Matterhorn is one of my favorite apres bars from all of the spots i have visited.

Look into the Vermont Travel Club and do the math if its worth it buying a membership. Saves you a bunch of coin on the Stowe lift tickets, and then definitely buy online ahead of time.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts