Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How was this season for you? Want to rant about the crappy snow? Rave about the new tricks you learned? No particular format - just whatever comes to mind.

I didn't find it to be a particularly great season. Great snow in December, cruddy after that. I rode too conservatively this year because of injuries, so didn't progress as much as I'd have liked.

The meet-ups at Cypress and Baker were highlights though. Great fun, very educational, a little humbling. :dizzy:

Mind you, as many people point out, even bad snowboarding is good.

·
-Weekend Warrior-
3,524 Posts
The season of what could have been.

It started off fine enough with riding in November but the snowfall wasn't great through December and early January. I got broke off for good in early-mid January when the resorts were finally starting to be fully open.

THAT is when the epic season began for everyone else. Multiple pow days, some of them epic. A season that extended all the way into April (actually still going here in Michigan), longer than many can remember and I watched it play out from home. FML

On the bright side; My niece and nephew can now ride chairlift runs and my daughter was able to get on skis for the first time this season so I look forward to some family trips next year to supplement the time I'm riding with bros.

·
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
6,863 Posts
Not Done Yet
+1!!! Season still going for another month and a bit here...

So far though great season. I'm already 5 days past my previous record, on track for 1500 km total, hitting way more air than I have since I was 16 (and probably more than back then), haven't injured anything TOO bad, rode with people almost every day which has been fun.

Of course there could have been more powder, more days on the hill, less board damage, etc. etc. but I refuse to look at the negatives of this year. The positives have been very positive! :yahoo:

·
Registered
845 Posts
Not Done Yet
Exactly! :thumbsup:

Yesterday we Hiked a very small distance to the summit of mt bachelor and dropped the front side, what made it memorable is the scattered icy conditions you had to get past to reach the good stuff.

I got jammed up at the top on a pitch to steep to flip around to regular toe side (I was on switch heel side) . Had to dig ledges in the snow for my board, ass, and hands. 5 ft in front of me was a icy super drop I couldn't see over. Kinda sucked for bit up there.

Attachments

·
-Weekend Warrior-
3,524 Posts
+1!!! Season still going for another month and a bit here...

So far though great season. I'm already 5 days past my previous record, on track for 1500 km total, hitting way more air than I have since I was 16 (and probably more than back then), haven't injured anything TOO bad, rode with people almost every day which has been fun.

Of course there could have been more powder, more days on the hill, less board damage, etc. etc. but I refuse to look at the negatives of this year. The positives have been very positive! :yahoo:
How many days you get in so far?

·
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
6,863 Posts
How many days you get in so far?
35, hoping for 40 by the end. I'm not like some of the guys on here that get 100 days a year. They're freaks... :blink:

Two seasons ago in Ontario, 21 days was my best.

Last year I did 30 days and was thrilled.

If I keep on this track I'll be going for 50 next year! :yahoo:

·
-Weekend Warrior-
3,524 Posts
35, hoping for 40 by the end. I'm not like some of the guys on here that get 100 days a year. They're freaks... :blink:

Two seasons ago in Ontario, 21 days was my best.

Last year I did 30 days and was thrilled.

If I keep on this track I'll be going for 50 next year! :yahoo:
That's awesome. 30-40 was my goal this year. Chomps, the punk, is at 44 going on 46 this weekend.

Does COP tend to have a longer or shorter season than Lake Louise/Sunshine/etc?

·
Registered
964 Posts
My season is still going. I passed the 50 day mark sometime towards the end of March and I'm still riding 2-5 days a week.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Season here north of Toronto was pretty decent. Slow start, but then it settled into a solid pattern. Much less ice coast than usual which was a real bonus.

Got in 31 days total with trips to Sugarbush and Killington. :yahoo:

On the 10 scale, I'd call it an 8.5. Too bad it's over. :sad:

Is it December yet?

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
I got 25 days in this year and progressed quite a bit.

For the southeast, we actually had great weather through the end of March. Early December sucked as we had a warm front, but once the warm weather got out of here we had a pretty cold winter. We actually even had a few days where we got 3-4 inches of snow right before the hills opened up so we got to ride fresh "powder" (It's still pretty slushy compared to actual powder). But, at least it wasn't ice!!

I feel like I can actually carve now, so I just need to get some of my riding on tape so I can actually see where I need improvement and if I'm actually carving when I think I am. Some of my other goals were to have less speed checks during runs and to hit some jumps and be more in control of my board, and I feel like I accomplished all of that. I got a few board grabs in on some natural kickers, so I was getting enough air to get a grab in at least. I also feel much more in control of my board and can stop/start and avoid people/obstacles much quicker now.

All in all, I was pleased with my year. My goal next year is to get out west for some riding, or at least to go to Snowshoe for more than a couple of days.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Probably the best season i've had so far...not saying much as I've only started to snowboard seriously maybe the past 2 yrs...and snowboard in general over the past 6.

19 days total. Not a lot by any means, but I like to think decent quality given being in Ontario.

5 in Whistler
4 in Revy
3 in Kicking horse
2 in Whiteface (meh..)
5 locally

·
The Swiss Miss
7,441 Posts
Not Done Yet
:thumbsup: also still on the road :yahoo:

But so far: best season ever! Double as much pow days as in the years before, double as much control and fun. Formerly I liked snowboarding, now completely in love.

·
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
6,863 Posts
That's awesome. 30-40 was my goal this year. Chomps, the punk, is at 44 going on 46 this weekend.

Does COP tend to have a longer or shorter season than Lake Louise/Sunshine/etc?
Bugger! COPs season is much shorter. I think about 99.9% of their snow is man made. They open in late-Nov early-Dec, and close this weekend.

Nakiska opened in October, Lake Louise closes early-May, and Sunshine closes May 24th!!! :blink:

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
19 days total this year, pales in comparison, but I'm really pleased with it. Coming back from the full achilles rupture, a lot of people didn't think I'd even have a season. Made a ton of progress, since i think my lifetime total days on a board prior to this year was maybe 6... Definitely gaining confidence in my ability, and learning my limits. really, REALLY stoked for next season with a new setup. (although i'm sure the change will set my learning curve back a bit)
:yahoo:

·
-Weekend Warrior-
3,524 Posts
Bugger! COPs season is much shorter. I think about 99.9% of their snow is man made. They open in late-Nov early-Dec, and close this weekend.

Nakiska opened in October, Lake Louise closes early-May, and Sunshine closes May 24th!!! :blink:
Yeah, their not much better at COP than here then. The only time I've been there was for Scream Fest. No snow then lol

·
Registered
33 Posts
I had a shitty season overall with some perks.
I got down presses and buttering and all that fun stuff which was good,
But my snowboard got stolen and I went to mount snow with my sister's boyfriends pass and got caught with it (I know that shit never happens, why me?)

but the other brightside was i bought a new board and i got my old board back from the person that stole it. Thanks cops.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
best winter i've had in 10 years, maybe 15...great conditions from start to finish of the season, many epic pow days, many of those bluebird.

Got 67 days total, probably 55 of those riding solo, sometimes 5-8 days in a row...most importantly i felt good, no pains, and pretty ready from skating alot last summer.

Not sure about progression, but i regained i think...i felt like when i was 22 for the most part, riding switch and steeps better than ever. pretty stoked to be able to say that at the end of my 29th year riding

AND, BUT...

thats just the end of lift service! hiking season has just begun, we've got a shitload of base still, and it's supposed to snow tonight and thru the weekend, probably the remnant of that PNW storm that hitting Baker, etc right now...

tomorrow morn my son and i are going to hit Haskill Basin...been eyeing it all winter...

if i don't start a thread about it in the next 48hrs, call search and rescue for me, LOL

·
Registered
612 Posts
Best season in my 5 years of riding! got the most days ive ever had! at 14 which isnt a lot but considering i took all of december and january off thats pretty good! i feel a lot more comfortable on the board, and im starting to feel comfortable hitting some jumps, there is no more intimidation factor anymore. Next year i hope to learn some tricks. The snow this year was great as well got a few pow days in! cant wait to get back out there on sunday for the last day!

1 - 20 of 62 Posts