Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive wanted to ride Paintbrush canyon since I first hiked up it last fall. The terminus of the canyon is a huge cirque of 30-40 degree scree aprons below some pretty gnarly cliffs. For the last month Ive been staring down the canyon on a daily basis.

Paintbrush is the snowy canyon to the left

Last week I tried to get up there in a day but the 6 miles slog to snow kicked my ass and I ran out of time before getting to anything ride able.

I decide that to do it as an overnighter this weekend.

Left the trailhead around 4pm Friday.

This was my first over night tour and I was not expecting the pack to be so damn heavy but it definitely kicked my ass.

I reached snow around 8 and the snow was the supportable but soft so I decided to take a lap after setting up camp.

My slopeside accomadations

Summer solstice squiggle

The plan for Saturday was to hike to the Paintbrush divide and ride back down.

Unfortunately I made it about 50 vertical feet from the ridge but was I chose to not go any higher. It was very steep and clouds kept the snow too firm be able to ride down I did not feel comfortable booting back down so I turned around. I missed out on some great views of the Idaho side of the Tetons but Its better than dying I suppose.

I waited for the snow to soften up but passing clouds kept things firm. The snow was a gauntlet of runnel and suncups so the trip down was more survival riding than fun but I got a few good turns in.

I decided that this is my last trip of the season. Its just too much work to get to snow for what you get in return. Good season. 114 days on snow.

Here are a bunch of pretty pictures from the trip.

Some bonus Teton National Park photos

·
Banned!
7,679 Posts
nice gettin after it!!!

sick pics.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Good work! I was in jackson area last week playing on the snake. We got our 2nd solstice shed in a row this year also. Its a little easier up here but your photos sure make me miss back home (wyoming). keep it up

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
Sweet pics...even if you didn't get as high as you wanted, it looks like an awesome trip.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Gorgeous photos and an incredible way to celebrate the solstice! Great TR and effort.

So how many bears does that crew of four add to your total sightings? I like the little guy on the left checking out what looks like a flag. The sow is certainly a solid presence also.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. Im up to 18 bear sightings this year(definitely have some repeat offenders) The little guy is checking out a survey stake. The cubs are all really curious. they were all checking out/eating everything as they walked down the road

1 - 8 of 8 Posts