Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you sell me on one or the other?

I know, small mountains, but I'm positioned more or less equidistant between the two and I "need" to choose one as a home mountain for next year. I've spent a good amount of time over the last few years at Gunstock, and frankly I'm growing tired of it. It's great when it's great, but that's rare, and every year it seems the staff gets a bit less accommodating and a bit more annoyed with having to actually run the mountain.

That said, I've never been to Sunapee. Looking at the trail map it looks comparable, I guess? It looks like they have a bit more glade action, but I assume it's similar to Gunstock in that most of the trails aren't open until January. I'm sure it gets packed with folks below the border on weekends, and Gunstock does too, so I'm not sure that's a significant difference.

As for terrain, I'm not looking for much given the small mountain size. If it has some steep blues and groomed blacks, my family will be happy. If it has some fun glade runs for a variety of ability levels, that's worth bonus points. Park is unimportant. In fact, the smaller the better. I'd say Gunstock has the blues and blacks, rarely gets the right snow such that their glades aren't just ice sheets, and their park runs are fine, but they spend too much effort on the big jumps in my opinion.

So long story short, I'm a bit tired of Gunstock and wondering how Sunapee measure up as a basic home mountain. Can anyone compare them? Give some advice on Sunapee?

·
Registered
927 Posts
If I had to choose between the two I'd take Sunapee over Gunstock given similar costs. They pretty much get the same weather. Sunapee's got a little more vertical and almost double the skiable acres than Gunstock. I rode Sunapee a lot when I lived in NH when the state owned the mountain. It was a litttle rough then, but cheap. The mountain was sold and has been upgraded significantly since those days, so the infrastructure at Sunapee may be a little more modern.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Agreed. Been a while since I've been to either, but I never cared for Gunstock. They are still state run, and I've heard enough stories lately I won't go back. As far as attitude, not a big surprise seeing as it's a combo of Lake Winni and Laconia. I can't imagine Sunapee could actually be worse.

Pretty sure Sunapee gets better snow too. Even though it's a little more south, it seems to be in that snow belt that runs diagonal up the state and can dump snow in places like Hinsdale and Danbury and Groton.

I'd try it, and if you like it don't look back. How much further to Ragged? Great little mountain. Good in state season pass deals too.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Sunapee is on one of the passes too right? Just something to keep in mind if that's something you care about.

How far are you from 'atticat' (my nickname for attitash/wildcat)?

·
Registered
598 Posts
I rode sunapee this year for the first time in 20 years. It was a blast for small mountain. Awesome views of the lake. And pretty good snowmaking/grooming. I was on the lift with a guy last weekend at okemo and he said there are plans for another high speed quad.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts