Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Snow Glove Sports equipment Helmet Sports uniform

I am currently riding LibTech Jamie Lynn Phoenix 157W (nose 30.1, waist 25.9).
Cartel M size bindings + pretty big Northwave boots (480/43/10size) My height is 181cm, weight 75-80kg)

Generally happy with the board, but with more aggressive carving i got boot out.

I need a second board than i can try really deep Ryan Knapton ;) style carves

Do you know any boards with a waist over 26cm?

I know that once Elan made El Grande once, Donek too expensive ... Anything else still available?Any Ideas

·
Registered
957 Posts
To ride like Knapton you need a wide waist, a stiffer flex and a long sidecut radius.

That Elan looks good but from the more contemporary boards you could have a look at Nitro Team or better Team Pro in wide. A cambered true twin with a big sidecut radius and a stiffer flex.

I have a Korua Cafe Racer 164 being a bit heavier than you and it’s a very directional board that I keep in the quiver for carving slush but it’s more suited to carve in a ‚Korua’ than ‚Knapton’ style.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a Donek knapton twin and Flux, Party Platter, NS proto super wide, and Stranda cheater; none less than 27cm waist
if I like the Party, I’ll be selling the Never Summer. It does everything well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
check out this thread and website

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I like Korua Dart a lot. Im wondering whether 156 or 160 would be better for me (Cartel M size bindings + pretty big Northwave boots (480/43/10size) 181cm, 75-80kg)

156 has only 1cm wider waist than my current board (i got boot out often), so im leaning towards 160. Would it be too much?
Mostly groomers powder riding, plus powder on powder days ;)

·
Registered
957 Posts
I like Korua Dart a lot. Im wondering whether 156 or 160 would be better for me (Cartel M size bindings + pretty big Northwave boots (480/43/10size) 181cm, 75-80kg)

156 has only 1cm wider waist than my current board (i got boot out often), so im leaning towards 160. Would it be too much?
There’s a lot of taper in the Dart so don’t count the waist width vs the insert width like you would on a twinnish board.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts

I have a Pencil + and a Bullet Train from Korua. They're my favorite boards out of most I've tried. I don't think the Dart 160 would be too much for you, but it's going to take some wrestling to get it on edge. Once on edge it's not a problem. The way you want to carve it's not really much of a problem having to put in some more leverage compared to a narrower board.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Dunno, if you know how to put a board on edge, booting out is a bigger issue than how to put a board on edge, certainly more annoying
For me width is more of a problem than booting out. Unless we’re talking really narrow boards. Doing crossover carves it’s not an issue, but it is for everything else on piste. It’s just my personal preference.

My Pencil is wider over the front foot, where you have steeper angles, and that enhances the feeling of width since turning it over the back foot just feels wrong. My Tracer is narrower over the front foot for example. It’s a much more relaxed ride.

But I’m not riding like Ryan Knapton or Nicholas Wolken…

·
Premium Member
1,782 Posts
Rome National 162W is a twin with a 270mm waist width. Fairly stiff board too.

Waist width isn't everything. Wide boards that are tapered can still give you problems if the tail is narrow.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I learned how to carve deep on a Capita Slush Slasher 151. It's got a 28.6 waist, a 14.2 meter sidecut, and a softer flex that helps you learn how to manipulate the board in a carve. Top it off, they're cheap and do great on lower powder days, especially in the trees. I'll still warm up on that thing before I break out the Pentaquark or one of my custom decks. Unlike those other decks it sees the trees all the time too.

Wide boards aren't the whole story either. I ride boots with an aggressive performance fit. I'm fully two sizes under my sneaker size. I had to do a little modification to get that to work out, but it's so awesome having all that response, power, and a reduced footprint.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
So the back foot is actually more likely to boot out than in a tweenish board with same waist width?
You can just compare the specs. Dart 160/164 has a few mm less tail width, but more waist width than say a comparable wide twin, so it ends up about the same on your back foot. Dart has less tail too. Just check out the brands website or something like Evo with lotsa boards. Most tapered boards also has shorter tails, so twins can have longer tails and more tail width because of it. Sidecut radius play a part too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah i get that, widths, sidecuts, I browsed some sites, not enough obv, learned about Karuas and Slush Slashers form you guys.

Sooo... Karua Dart 160 (400€) or Capita Slush Slasher 151(300€)? :coffee:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts