Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 216 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am thinking about a surfskate and there has been a few threads mentioning them recently so I thought I'd open a specific discussion.

I always wondered what I could do in the offseason and had been joking I will get a longboard. My wife and brothers always get a good laugh.
I think surfskate may be the solution as I do not plan on doing skate tricks or looking for speed, just want to get some turn.

I have started to read about surfskate today and will keep reading but I would like to get some advice.

I am 38, 1.8m and 85kgs, fairly athletic. I have been snowboarding for more than 20Y but never skated. I do not surf though I would love if I was living near waves.

I want something mellow, just trying to get a workout and improve my balance.

My first impression is that I need something on the longer side, but saying that I have seen a few 38" or 40" at Yow, but most other boards cap out at 33".
I guess I should get wheels on the wide and soft side and a rather long wheelbase?
I understand the truck can be quite different between brands.
And what about camber profile, how does that come into play?

Brand-wise I have read than Yow could be too loose for a beginner.
I have seen some Ocean Pacific, Slide and Miller board that are fair bit cheaper than Yow and others.
I have read than Slide may be more stable but less turny which would fit a beginner (good for me) and someone doing park stuff (not me).

I would probably like to stay on the cheap side of things for now, but cork top !?!?
Any chance that would work for me?

I'd be happy to get any advice on brands, length, wheels, any completes + tweaks setup that would make it more beginner friendly...

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just bought a cheap $100 Ocean pacific surfskate from Skatepro shop.since i'm just a beginner. Figured i start with that then get a Carver brand once i get better. I also replaced the original wheels with a longboard specific wheels.
How do you like it?
Did you use to skateboard?

·
538 Posts
Too funny, I had a lengthy conversation with a local skate store here in Oz just on this yesterday after spending a few hours researching surfskates v longboards v cruisers.

Basically a surfskate I'm told is shorter in board length, looser in the front truck to mimic the smooth transition of riding a surfboard and used for smaller areas and shorter commutes/transits. For snowboarding, they recommended using a lowset longboard to replicate the carving and I've narrowed my choice down to the following and will probably order a Loaded Vanguard Flex 3 38" Crusiers fit somewhere in between.

The other ones I'm looking at include Arbor Axis Flagship 37" and Arbor Zeppelin 32"

I'm not looking for any freestyle, just the carving down the bike paths along the esplanade for a bit of fitness and fun.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
How do you like it?
Did you use to skateboard?
I really like mine. i adjusted my trucks enough to my preference to pump it easier. Tips from watching youtube vids on how to's help. I skateboarded back in my teenage years. I'm still working on doing the coleman slide for braking but it is tough for me cuz getting that low is a bit of a chore cuz i have the 29.5" size and my stance on that is a bit narrower that i'm comfortble with.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Funny how we’re all scurrying around looking for this type of solution. I’m thinking about this

I want something I can practice turn form on - but also something I can use and improve on within its own discipline.
I forgot to mention that i also ride a Zed Restrospect 44" cruiser and that also is fun,but i tend to favor my surfskate more due to i could do such quick turns on them closely mimicking snowboard turns(cross under/ crossover turns).

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Which one did you get?
And how easy did you find to start?
Any previous skateboard experience?
I got the Amatriain 33.5".

Just riding it and pumping wasn't very hard even the the very first go. I did crash making some super tight turn when the front truck folded after too much pressure on the front foot. Kick pushes was still very sketchy last year, you balance on the front truck while doing it and it's not that easy. At least for me. What I like about the surf skate is that it's possible to have fun without going mach 10.

I did a lot of skateboarding in my preteens and lower teens. Mostly street skating and racing things like parking garages, but also a bit of ramp and such. Switched to inline skating in my later teens and ditched the skateboard since it was more fun racing around the city on skates.

So skateboarding was a long long time ago, but before I bought my YOW I had a longboard. Anyway... I've learnt the hard way I'm not that young and fit anymore... :D

·
Registered
616 Posts
Just found a 36” Atom deck with drop through rkp trucks for cheap on letgo. Gonna jump on it. Nothing to lose at the price.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I picked up a Hamboard Logger last year. It's 5 ft. Here it is with my 195 Doughboy Shredder and 151 Slush Slasher for reference. The shorter boards are better for pumping but this one is fun for cruising and flowing around.
20190523_164515.jpg
20190523_164610.jpg

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
Carver Surf Skates have a good reputation

I have a OneWheel and swear by it, but for non-motorized just for the 'surf' feeling I decided to go with the Carver. I have a longboard as well, but I wanted the Carver to imitate surfing moves. I actually just wanted the trucks and planned on putting them on my own board, but I couldn't find anywhere (reliable) that had the trucks in stock.

·
Registered
126 Posts
These Lean boards look pretty dope but man are they expensive....

·
538 Posts
So it sounds like a long board is not actually the right tool for the job of emulating snowboarding?
This has been hard for me to flesh out, I think it depends again on what style of snowboarding you're looking to replicate. The Surfskates I've been looking at seem to mimic the snappy style of surfing more so than snowboarding and that's what the local board store have been telling me these last few days and some longboards mimic a more laconic carving style of snowboarding which is the direction they pointed me towards. I wanted to try and do some longer distance skating, there are also no hills where I live so I wasn't too concerned about speed and I'm not interested in freestyle or tricks. From what I can see they were designed for the surf scene with guys like Yago Dora, Courtney Conologue, Jamie OB, Filipe Toledo all putting their names to brands.

I just ordered one of these this morning

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
@MrDavey2Shoes Longboarding is great. All the board sports have some crossover skills.

The advantage of the electric boards is you can get a lot more miles under your belt a lot more quickly. With a OneWheel I don't have to worry about trying to push with my 'wrong' foot (or push mongo) as I do with a longboard in order to practice switch riding. 'Surf' movements are tougher on a longboard than on a surf skate, though.

As @NT.Thunder mentioned, the surf skates are for mimicking surfing, or its parallel for us, the snowsurfing that some of the Moss and Gentemstick guys, for example, doing.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Too funny, I had a lengthy conversation with a local skate store here in Oz just on this yesterday after spending a few hours researching surfskates v longboards v cruisers.

Basically a surfskate I'm told is shorter in board length, looser in the front truck to mimic the smooth transition of riding a surfboard and used for smaller areas and shorter commutes/transits. For snowboarding, they recommended using a lowset longboard to replicate the carving and I've narrowed my choice down to the following and will probably order a Loaded Vanguard Flex 3 38" Crusiers fit somewhere in between.
Funny but not a coincidence, this is one of your post that got me googling what a surfskate is.
One day later, I went from "lets get a cheap one" to "oh well maybe i like that one better".

I see that you ordered your longboard already.
But you can get a surfskate any length, have a look at Hamboard.
They have boards from 24" to 6'6"!
They say the Logger at 5' is their board favored by snowboarders.
I am pretty sure you are about to spend a fair bit of time on their website.
I'll probably order one this weekend.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I really like mine. i adjusted my trucks enough to my preference to pump it easier. Tips from watching youtube vids on how to's help. I skateboarded back in my teenage years. I'm still working on doing the coleman slide for braking but it is tough for me cuz getting that low is a bit of a chore cuz i have the 29.5" size and my stance on that is a bit narrower that i'm comfortble with.
I got the Amatriain 33.5".

Just riding it and pumping wasn't very hard even the the very first go. I did crash making some super tight turn when the front truck folded after too much pressure on the front foot. Kick pushes was still very sketchy last year, you balance on the front truck while doing it and it's not that easy. At least for me. What I like about the surf skate is that it's possible to have fun without going mach 10.

I did a lot of skateboarding in my preteens and lower teens. Mostly street skating and racing things like parking garages, but also a bit of ramp and such. Switched to inline skating in my later teens and ditched the skateboard since it was more fun racing around the city on skates.

So skateboarding was a long long time ago, but before I bought my YOW I had a longboard. Anyway... I've learnt the hard way I'm not that young and fit anymore... :D

View attachment 153754
Thanks both!
I think I have decided I'll go for something longer, probably a Hamboard.

·
Registered
126 Posts
@vodkaboarder Then if you want to take the leanboarding off-road you have mountainboards
The part where they had to walk up the hill pretty much kills that for me. I'm more of a drink a beer on the lift and meet some women before the shred kinda guy. Plus I'm from Florida so hills are nonexistent.

Also, those things look heavy and the mountain without snow quite unforgiving. A scorpion would probably put you in a wheelchair and a tomahawk would be a quick death.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I picked up a Hamboard Logger last year. It's 5 ft. Here it is with my 195 Doughboy Shredder and 151 Slush Slasher for reference. The shorter boards are better for pumping but this one is fun for cruising and flowing around. View attachment 153759 View attachment 153760
Well...thanks?!

I went to bed thinking I may buy a cheap surfskate.
I woke up at 4am, thought I'd checked the forum.
More than 3h later, I am almost certain I am buying a Hamboard than may end up costing me twice the price...

I feel I want a fairly long board as it will be more stable and probably more the style of riding I will be doing or will be comfortable with.

So short board are easier for pumping but how hard does it get on your logger?
I am drawn to surfskate as it seems I would not have skate-push and can get some turn without the need for slope/speed.
I could add the gold springs, they say it makes pumping easier on their longer boards.

For now, I have discarded the 2 extra long boards (Classic and Pinger) and the Biscuit as it seems definitely too short.
I am so tempted by the Fish but it may be a bit too technical for me at this stage.
The Pescadito is a fair bit smaller but will be best for pumping.
The Huntington Hop is the cheapest option (213€ vs Pescadito 260€ vs Fish 315€ vs Logger 336€).

An other option would be the Yow Byron Bay but at similar size than the HHop and a lot more expensive at 295€.

Should I care at all about the wheels? They get wider with the size and price of the board. I was thinking wider will be better for me, but that is probably ok as it comes.

The next pickle will be to travel the board as I am currently stuck abroad at my in-laws.
Ah yeah, and explain all of that to my wife...

1 - 20 of 216 Posts