Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

201 - 218 of 218 Posts

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
They're a Go Cart tyre I thought I read somewhere.
They're derived from cart tires, but the newer ones are made specifically for the Onewheel -- different compounds, tread patterns and profiles.

Before manufacturers started making tires specifically for the Onewheel some owners took it on themselves and swapped cart tires onto them.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
My Carver Proteus showed up yesterday, it was a blem/clearance board, i think I need softer bushings though, had the nut totally loose before it felt responsive

IMG_20200614_114950.jpg IMG_20200614_114724.jpg
IMG_20200614_115012.jpg
IMG_20200614_123259.jpg

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
Just ride it. It'll loosen up over time.

Reactions: WigMar

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Cool vid snowdaddy! are you in a back parking lot of a hospital? :D anyways,it's a good workout for your legs and sides(obliques) pumping to keep moving. Last sunday,after mowing my lawn i decided to ride my surfskate for about an hour around my neighborhood street. I was tired after that, but i rode my electric skateboard right after so to relax and have fun. 😁 i ended up lapping at about 20x and carving like i was snowboarding, i set my cruise control at 11 mph and just had fun. My legs where worn out but it was great. Keep pumping Snowdaddy and have a great time(y)

Reactions: Snowdaddy

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Cool vid snowdaddy! are you in a back parking lot of a hospital? :D anyways,it's a good workout for your legs and sides(obliques) pumping to keep moving. Last sunday,after mowing my lawn i decided to ride my surfskate for about an hour around my neighborhood street. I was tired after that, but i rode my electric skateboard right after so to relax and have fun. 😁 i ended up lapping at about 20x and carving like i was snowboarding, i set my cruise control at 11 mph and just had fun. My legs where worn out but it was great. Keep pumping Snowdaddy and have a great time(y)

One of my favorite spots at one of the University buildings. Very mellow slope but enough to get going. There are lots of places to ride around there, especially in the summer when everyone is away.

I see people riding their electric longboards and it looks like a lot of fun. I've been tempted to get one but I think I'm going to stick with my YOW.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
So this morning I went to a concrete skateboard park with a pool, quarter pipes and bank ramps. It was completely empty and no one saw my immediate wipeout when the front truck folded coming down my first tiny little quarter pipe. I did a smashingly good judo slide on my side, giving myself a nice little elbow burn and ruined my sweater.

Once I figured out how to keep the front truck from folding it went much better and I could do series of turns on the banks and pipes. So much fun. The pipes are only waist high and I only went up half that my first ride. I didn't even try to go into the pool.

Think I just finally found my favorite summer time hobby... Don't think I'll ever go back to a proper park board though. I'm just too old ;)

·
Registered
472 Posts
------FOR ANYONE WONDERING IF SURF-SKATING HELPS YOUR SNOWBOARDING------

So I started skating down hills in October last year (normal popsicle deck with grippier wheels), then onto longboarding a month or so later, then in December or so, I discovered the wonderful world of pumping, and have been pumping/surf-skating since.

I decided to "major" in surf-skating, for the following reasons, 100% in my head:
  • it's WAY more fun as a fitness activity, than walking / jogging
  • I figured it might help with edge control in the off season
  • I figured if I can get pumping switch, before my next time on the snow, that would be no bad thing
  • later on into the bargain (say, from Feb-March this year), I had an idea that maybe, just maybe, learning to pump with a narrower stance than my snowboard stance, might just strengthen my ankles in the areas needed, for me to be able to actually RIDE a narrower stance on a snowboard - something I've been trying to do for a few years now, but I find too unstable, so I revert to big ole wide-as-fck stances.
I managed to get a day up the hill last Thursday (before lift operations closed down for the foreseeable future, thanks to Melburnians who are 100's of km's away, who think that Covid restrictions take second place to their being able to take Insta selfies at all the hot shopping and cafe spots).

I'll paint a picture, with regards to my narrow stance battle over the years:
  • for the last half decade or so, I've WANTED to ride a narrower stance, however I ALWAYS find that despite my dearest wishes, it feels too unstable for me <<< after years of having a "Forum: True Life" style wide stance
  • keep in mind, the only sport I did that really fed directly towards my snowboarding, was snowboarding - no other sports whose skills might directly translate.
  • In the early 2000's when I was doing 100+ days a season in both Japan and Summit County, my stance was hovering at around 59cm
  • over the years, I've temporarily narrowed it down to e.g. 57cm, 56cm... ridden half a day, then gone back to around 59cm-60cm
  • last season in Japan, I rode 61-62cm on the Channel (SK and DT)
  • last season in Aus, I "narrowed" that down to 58cm, and it felt... yeah, not too bad, and not too unstable either! Just right.
  • I've been skate-surfing / pumping on average around 3 x 1hr sessions per week since my last time on the snow, making a mental note to adopt an agile, dynamic, athletic stance that allows me to pump fast and flow fluidly on top of my surfskate setups ---- and to try to slowly narrow my stance width on-board
  • I set my Rome Moontail up at my newly adopted 58cm carving stance width from last season a stance width ignorant of what widths I'd ridden in the past, and instead pretended that I was merely setting up my bindings on a board, right where they would be when I'm surf-skating.
My old man remarked that even though it was my first day on the hill (and I was having some arch pain issues - first day on new orthotics in new boots that I hadn't heat moulded), I was riding / carving WAY better than he'd seen me ride on a first day, in a LONG time. He reckoned it looked like I was a couple of weeks in, which is good!

I was carving my setback Moontail like a beast (for me), and even got some decent proper switch carving in, after playing around with my stance angles a bit. My new stance width, a la 6 months of skate pumping? 53cms.

I feel a stability and quick recognition of the need to adjust weighting when it shifts too far laterally towards the nose or tail, that I have not possessed before, in my snowboarding life.

I don't know how else to summarise, other than I can only conclude that skate pumping has strengthened my ankle muscles and imbued me with a balance that I had not previously possessed. In previous years, I've tried to narrow my stance, only to widen it again, and when I was telling my little sister about my day on the snow, she actually remarked "oh what, like EVERY other year, when you try to narrow your stance and then the next day you widen it again, same thing next year, every year, forever?" haha.

Previously: want narrower stance >> narrow stance >> hmmm this feels okay sometimes, but still unstable >> grumpily widen stance back up again.
This time: try narrower stance as per pumping >> THIS IS FCKING SICK!!!!!!

My 2 cents!!!

·
Registered
472 Posts
My Carver Proteus showed up yesterday, it was a blem/clearance board, i think I need softer bushings though, had the nut totally loose before it felt responsive

View attachment 154230 View attachment 154233
View attachment 154231
View attachment 154232
There are a few things you can do to a totally stock setup, before getting new bushings:
  • grease up the bushings (I do - good for bushing wear, and makes them move around against the metal surface of the hanger / washer, easier)
  • I believe the stock Carver front truck roadside washer, is a cup washer. You can try to flip that upside down so that it's more turny / less resistance at the initial part of the turn.
  • If you dig that and are getting bushing bite on hard turns (into the bushing seat part of the truck), you can go for a flat roadside washer like I have <<< that'll be loose as you can get, before getting softer bushings
I would say that if it's a blem board, give it a few hours of pumping to "break in" the bushes. I'm giving this advice as I don't feel that anyone should have to spend the amount of $$$ I have on experimenting with bushing densities, only to realise that meh... stock isn't that bad, and cheapie replacements (e.g. OTang nipples - 2x trucks (with washers all around) for like $20, ain't so bad either!

Happy pumping!

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Yep stock bushings were garbage and with the carver cx trucks, greasing the bushings is absolutely necessary, it's like night and day, I knew it wasn't suppose to feel like that when I got it, it was too stiff and there was no rebound at all, added otang nipple bushings, soft on the front, medium on the rear, switched wheels to otang inheats 75mm 77a, I love this thing now, been practicing on a concrete slab by the shipping docks at work

·
Registered
472 Posts
View attachment 154413 Yep stock bushings were garbage and with the carver cx trucks, greasing the bushings is absolutely necessary, it's like night and day, I knew it wasn't suppose to feel like that when I got it, it was too stiff and there was no rebound at all, added otang nipple bushings, soft on the front, medium on the rear, switched wheels to otang inheats 75mm 77a, I love this thing now, been practicing on a concrete slab by the shipping docks at work
Ohhhhhhh with those changes, that thing must be SO flipping smooth!!! I love me some InHeats - WAY more rebound for pumping, than 4Prez.

Good man!

·
635 Posts
Went cruising today along the foreshore, great morning. Feeling much more comfortable carving and can't wait to see if this helps on the snow. Really allows you to focus on movement and feet positioning which will help me try new binding angles.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Loaded Omakase with the waterborne surf adapters, makes me think of getting rid of the carver, this is so much better

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Loaded Omakase with the waterborne surf adapters, makes me think of getting rid of the carver, this is so much better View attachment 154497
That looks cool, i attached my surf adapter(front only) on my Meepo V3 and its so much fun carving,it also help on small /short turns too. i don't have to get off my board to make a sharp turn (y) :D

·
635 Posts
Has anyone had any calf complaints from skating over the years?

Not sure if it's a technique issue but my calf on the leg that I push with is painful after nearly every ride. Average around 12km a skate session but it's really playing on my mind and usually means I need to rest up for some time before going again. It feels like I've torn it lightly a couple of times and has taken a week or two to get over.

Wondering if this is reasonably common especially with ages 40+

·
635 Posts
Well, ordered a OneWheel XR. Looking less likely getting overseas early New Year for a board so thought I'd try another tack.

Drop me some pointers those that have or have ridden a OneWheel so I don't kill myself. (y)

201 - 218 of 218 Posts