Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

221 - 233 of 233 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Electric skateboarding technique is very similar to snowboarding and a it’s hell lot od fun. And you can learn riding switch without giving up any time on snow 😁

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
@OldSnow

Re: OneWheel XR

Man, what a blast this thing is. Finally got out on it this afternoon after moving house all weekend:cry: - only 5kms so far but it’s definitely going to scratch that snowboard itch.

read the manual, watched some YouTube tutorials and am very comfortable getting on and off. It really is asking me to push it harder but my head is saying not just yet. For those that have boarded it feels very easy to get used to and start carving. I’ve moved it to mission mode and will play with a few settings when I do a longer ride and get padded up. Front foot positioning feels key for the heels side turns and leading with the shoulders really makes the motion more fluid.

Love it, will have more of a cruise tomorrow and during the week.
Just be careful pushing it too far, that front lip will hurt you when you hit the pavement.
When I was looking into them I saw that as the major contributor to injuries; but this mob seemed to do the sensible thing and market a solution that everyone said "why can't we do this"
FANGS™ 2.1 Full-Size Bumper Wheels
Might bite the bullet and order one..🤔

·
722 Posts
Just be careful pushing it too far, that front lip will hurt you when you hit the pavement.
When I was looking into them I saw that as the major contributor to injuries; but this mob seemed to do the sensible thing and market a solution that everyone said "why can't we do this"
FANGS™ 2.1 Full-Size Bumper Wheels
Might bite the bullet and order one..🤔
Yeah for sure. Put another 17kms on it this afternoon, combination of trail and pavement. I feel comfortable on the pavement and love the carving feel of the board with a bit of speed but trail riding was another thing. I did feel uncomfortable and got the wobbbles a few times and it spat me over the front once but managed to stay on my feet.

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Yeah for sure. Put another 17kms on it this afternoon, combination of trail and pavement. I feel comfortable on the pavement and love the carving feel of the board with a bit of speed but trail riding was another thing. I did feel uncomfortable and got the wobbbles a few times and it spat me over the front once but managed to stay on my feet.
My wife has been bugging me what I want for Christmas, maybe I'll point at this and just get it over and done with. Gives me a few months to kill myself before Perisher reopens.
How long is the charge lift realistically out of the box? I saw all those mods people do to put extra batteries on top :ROFLMAO:

·
722 Posts
My wife has been bugging me what I want for Christmas, maybe I'll point at this and just get it over and done with. Gives me a few months to kill myself before Perisher reopens.
How long is the charge lift realistically out of the box? I saw all those mods people do to put extra batteries on top :ROFLMAO:
After the two rides it was only down to 71% so it seem pretty good, does need a good run though possibly tomorrow.

@Snowdaddy it actually feels very locked in on the pavement when cruising, I was very apprehensive after seeing all the FB posts on nose dives and injuries but most it seems are not the boards fault but the operator. It does continue to ask you to push it because it does feel so locked in. The issue I guess is at that speed and height of the pavement any nose dive won’t end pretty.

·
722 Posts
Put in 24kms this morning, in love with this thing. Ear buds in, pads on and just ride. I’m amazed the difference stance width and angle makes with the ride on the board. I was really loving the wider carving as I was getting used to it but now with a bit more confidence the in tight short, sharp turns rock.
I procrastinated over buying a OneWheel for a while now, don’t, if you’re thinking about it jus5 do it!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #229
Hello,

Wanted to share some quick feedbacks on Carvers.

I got a Greenroom back in May which almost their longest board (18.75" wheelbase) with a C7 truck. I rode it about 4/6 days a week for 10 to 20 kms each time. I could easily to take up some fair uphill which was my cardio training. It probably got me to my fittest in a long while. Aside of the exercise, I definitely love the feel and finally found my summer hobby.

I had to leave the board in July as It did not fit in my luggage. so decided to buy myself a second board and got the Bean Bag which is their shortest board and has a 16" wheelbase. I could only get the CX trucks but this is what Carver advise on that board anyway. It makes the setup really light. I have not spent nearly as much time on it due to not having as good a spot to ride anywhere close but I love the feel of the wider platform and how short the turns are. This is extremely fun in tight spaces and all you need is a few square meter on a terrace to enjoy.
The nice things is that it fits in my hold luggage so can move it with me.

I considered buying a YOW instead and tried quickly some in a shop, but they seemed to be a fair bit heavier. Also they are meant to be surfier and in a way more advanced, but the good things with the Carver is that you can actually tighten the mechanism and make it looser if you wanted to, or less loose for a long ride (C7 feel are even more customizable than CX).

I can definitely feel the difference between the 2 boards as there is no way I'll go as far, as quick, or manage the same uphills with the Bean Bag. This is mostly due to the wheelbase I guess but the slighlty softer wheel and maybe the truck as well may play a part.

I'll be reuniting with the Greenroom in about a month and may travel with the Bean Bag. If weather allows, and by that I mean snowboarding first, I'll then be able to compare the 2 more closely.

All the best!

·
Registered
488 Posts
Longboards are ideal for cruising because of their wide turning radius and their capability to travel long distances. To manage the turns of longboarding, you need to loosen or tighten your trucks.
The trucks of longboards are responsible for the edge turns and must be loosened. Tight trucks may not be possible on sharp or tight turns
Thanks Robert, that is a really helpful first post! I loved the bit about "To manage the turns of longboarding.... the trucks of longboards are responsible for the edge turns..."

·
Premium Member
2,594 Posts
Thanks Robert, that is a really helpful first post! I loved the bit about "To manage the turns of longboarding.... the trucks of longboards are responsible for the edge turns..."
His minds gonna blow when he finds out you can use your tail

·
Registered
63 Posts
So it sounds like a longboard is not actually the right tool for the job of emulating snowboarding?
It is. I just think you guys here on this topic went in the wrong direction. You should check electric longboarding instead of Carvers or one wheel.
I've been riding esk8 after finishing last winter season and I made a huge improvement in my snowboarding technique. It helps you separate your upper and lower body. Helps you learn the fluid movement of changing edges with bending knees and moving hips, and most important - it helps you ride more effortlessly.
After 1500km done:
  • better edge control, thanks to more flex in ankles
  • improved Heelside turn by a lot. Last season I had a better toeside turn. Now I have better heelside.
  • helps to memorize the motion of entering heelside turn with straightening back - I always had issues with leaning forward on my heelside. Not anymore.
  • you learn and memorize into the muscle memory, how to pump between turns. Helps a lot while riding traditional camber.
After a while, it became a habit, and then it's just natural for you. This helped me the most I think.
To cut it short. Imho it's the closest thing to snowboarding in summer.

Examples:
I've stopped leaning my head and upper body forward when on heelside turn (I did that because I thought it will help me stayed balanced. Now I know better how to use
centrifugal force to lean.

You can carve as much as you want on the streets. And lean like crazy.

Here's a close-up of my lower body movement.

And some final effect at the end of the summer - effortless carving, which translates to lose bad habits while snowboarding and not to work with the upper body so much while carving, to stay balanced.

Because you had speed and you're moving without the need to generate momentum with your upper body (like when riding Carvers or when surfing), you can fully focus on controlling your board with your feet and learn how to use ankles and pressure on edges.
So if anyone is looking for sth for a summer that will help him become a better rider, IMHO that's the best thing there is.

As for Surfskate, I'm planning on learning some moves next summer as I know it's a lot of fun. But for snowboarding, it doesn't work. At least not for me.

Reactions: NT.Thunder

·
Registered
3 Posts
I started with skateboarding and then I learned to snowboard. Is it similar to each other? To the same extent as roller skates and skates - some will say that you ride the same, others will say that there is nothing to compare. Personally, I think that with both, you need to spend some time learning but it pays to learn both!

221 - 233 of 233 Posts