Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

121 - 140 of 185 Posts

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
I think they are the least expensive option. The wheels that come on their completes are Landyachtz Hawgs longboard wheels.

I actually didn't know that they sold the Waterborne adapters for regular surf skates until this thread -- I had only seen the adapter set for the boosted boards prior to this thread.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
Hello,

I went for a 1.5 hour yesterday on a parking lot.
I realized the truck were creaking like crazy, did not even notice the first time as I was so happy to try it!
I brought it to a shop and they oiled it quickly so it is better, but will probably need to unmounted and oil inside.
I would have hope it comes ready to go...

I think this does not help my pumping as it does not bounce back as much as it should.
I started to get a hang of it at times but really hard to sustain or replicate consistently so far.

I also realized I was confused about board sizes, the Pescadito is 3'7" not to mistake with 37"!
I now realized that going for a more traditional surfskate at 31/33" would be quite a big downsize!
That should definitely be easier to pump.
There is a Miller Fin here for 100euros...

Going again this afternoon.

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
My impression is that the springs in surf trucks are there to prevent the trucks from turning too far, and not really for bringing them back to centre (when the board is weighted).

For sure a shorter board would be easier to pump, though. The Miller board you mentioned looks fun. You'll probably be flying on that one now that you've trained your muscles and movements on the larger one.

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
The Carver one already has the C7 surf trucks on it. It would be a less expensive way to try it out. What are the specs? It looks to be in really good shape. I'm assuming that's new grip, but from a distance the rest of it looks mint.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
My 47 inch board has “surf” trucks but not to the extreme that the waterborne are. FWIW
But most of these are shorter right? The carvers and other brands rec like a 31-33 inch board for someone my height and weight. I thought it's a lot harder to get going if something is too long?

The board does look awesome, but I almost feel like id be better off just putting those trucks on one of my regular decks haha.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I was in a downhill and slalom crew when I was in college. Hopefully surfskate will give some of those feelings without having to go so recklessly fast. I still have my old bomber longboard and a slalom setup, but they don't get a ton of use. The longboard usually only gets a couple of cruises a year, and the slalom board is more wall art at this point.

I've been shopping for a Carver, but I'm also kinda saving up for a onewheel. I ordered a Globe complete with Revenge trucks the other day. I'm still waiting for it, but I'm pretty stoked. I'm interested in how the revenge trucks feel. They look pretty radical compared to regular kingpin trucks, because there's only a single pivot point. They're on @MrDavey2Shoes Kostal too. Reviews are slim on the internet, but I'm sure I'll get them pumping in no time.

I'm stoked to have a board in my car again... I was scoping skate spots everywhere I went when I was younger. I'd be like "Oh Shit I'm gapping that RIGHT NOW!" Well, now I'm going to be on the hunt for vacant parking garages and smooth new parking lots.

·
Registered
943 Posts
@ridethecliche There’s definitely more weight I guess but as far as getting going, unless your on a decline, on a skateboard your pretty much always pushing to some degree. Bearing a wheel choice have more to do with rolling distance than the deck. If you’ve never skated before it’s probably safer to stick with a shorter board if you’re going with those trucks. No reason to bite off 2 variable chunks at once.

@WigMar On my board the “surfy” Revenge trucks seem to just translate to tighter turning radius, quicker turn initiation and ease of sliding. Basically it feels like a long board with a small turning radius. Which is cool and makes the board fun for it size at low speed. I think waterborne will be different. Maybe more slashy? I was pumping a little and it was more of a chore with the length but also I’m new to that. I’m sure with more practice it’ll be second nature.

lastly, the revenge trucks amplify your movements. The board reacts to much smaller movements than traditional king pin trucks, as I remember long boards or compared to my regular popsicle board.

Edit: I have not messed around tightening the trucks yet.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Yeah, I'm pretty sure a shorter wheelbase makes pumping a lot easier. Putting surfy trucks on a longboard won't make it ride like a shortboard.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
@MrDavey2Shoes
I used to skate in like high school and have one of my old boards around in addition to a new to me one I picked up locally.
I guess the adapters would work with that board if I got new wheels and maybe new bearings. The 'twin' nature of a regular skate deck wouldn't be an issue?

I think the longboard is just not what we're trying to do for the most part.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #140
Hello,

Put only 30mn on the board yesterday, I ended up playing petanque with an old friend from south france (and a few beers).
Here a video in case you need a new hobby:

Riding-wise, I sometime get a few dozen meters with a nice flow but really hard to sustain, even harder to replicate once I lose the stance.
The board is so wide and long I definitely feel stable but there are so many options in term of feet placement...

To @ridethecliche, as some have already said shorter wheelbase will make for easier pumping start, once you are flowing I would assume a bit longer is good to be able to keep speed, but then a lot longer become cumbersome.
I would think go as small as possible, taking stability into account. In my case I probably need to compromise for a bit longer as I have no skateboard background.
As @buller_scott said, all of setups mentioned above will probably work and even pump uphill at some point, but it will take longer to get there.

Regarding the twin-tip, I would say maybe not ideal but should work. From what I have seen only more advanced surfskate have 2 kicks, I think it helps with getting more grip for more radical turns.

121 - 140 of 185 Posts