Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

161 - 180 of 218 Posts

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Put in some serious hours the last two days on this thing and I'm starting to pick it up, I can tell because its starting to feel same and using the same motion as snowboarding, found a bridge crossing at a forest preserve with a smooth run down, my waterborne kit should be here today!
http://instagr.am/p/CAbR1hlJFwk/

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I pinged my calf yesterday evening longboarding, hoping it's not too bad as I'm like a bear with sore head when I have a niggle.
After having gone down the mountain at considerable speed taking tumble after tumble it's easy to think that some leisurely asphalt riding isn't going to be such a big deal.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Welp it happened, got too confident and broke rule 1, always scout out new runs
Stopped at a highway overlook point in Pennsylvania to grab a picture, noticed that the rest stop had a nice long downhill, so go to grab my longboard from the car, I got a bout 50 feet done before I realized i had fucked up and was gaining too much speed, ended up bailing out I would say around 20mph
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Now that's an injury you'd tell yourself "what the fuck where you thinking?!" :D i had one but not as raw meat as yours, though as an old man it took a while to heal, having a bum knee and always walking at work did not help.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Welp it happened, got too confident and broke rule 1, always scout out new runs
Stopped at a highway overlook point in Pennsylvania to grab a picture, noticed that the rest stop had a nice long downhill, so go to grab my longboard from the car, I got a bout 50 feet done before I realized i had fucked up and was gaining too much speed, ended up bailing out I would say around 20mph
Yeah, that won't tickle. Pads, my dude...

Also riggers gloves or whatever if you don't want to wear wrist guards. tear the leather, rather than your own leather.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Yeah, that won't tickle. Pads, my dude...
Yep I was definitely stupid for going down unknown run with no safety gear, sucks too because I just got my surf skate trucks installed but I'm gonna wait a week and let my knee heal up before going out on the long board, stay tuned, it carves like a beast!

·
Registered
892 Posts
I've been surfskating around and getting my pump on for a week or two now. I really like doing hard cutbacks and tight turns. I found an alley entrance that forms a decent little bank right in front of my house. I'll get several little sessions on that bank throughout the day, and I really appreciate having this style of skating to keep me occupied for the moment.

I've got a question though. Are surfskates very good for snowboard training? Surfskates are stable on the back trucks, and very agile and responsive on the nose. Aren't snowboards pretty much the opposite? I definitely have my weight shifted over the back truck, unlike snowboarding where my weight is more on my front foot. I tried my surfskate backwards, and it was pretty crazy. A longer wheelbase would have helped. I didn't spend much time on this experiment, but it felt more like snowboarding even if it was crazy unstable.

·
636 Posts
For me I could never get it through my mind how a regular surfskate would provide a comparitive feel/motion to snowboarding, that's why I went down the longboarding option but I do want to try a surfskate, looks great fun for those tighter areas and parks. Everything I read regarding surfskates was more around mimicking the surfy snap motions so maybe it's okay for freestyle/park orientated riders.

Funny though as I was wondering how a set of those waterborn trucks might feel on my longboard which is a twin so that might be interesting experimenting like you mentioned above.

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
I've got a question though. Are surfskates very good for snowboard training? Surfskates are stable on the back trucks, and very agile and responsive on the nose. Aren't snowboards pretty much the opposite? I definitely have my weight shifted over the back truck, unlike snowboarding where my weight is more on my front foot. I tried my surfskate backwards, and it was pretty crazy. A longer wheelbase would have helped. I didn't spend much time on this experiment, but it felt more like snowboarding even if it was crazy unstable.
Surfskates are surfing mimics/trainers. IMO as far as snowboarding is concerned, surfskating only has similarity to the snow surf style, and not to snowboarding in general. In snowboarding (aside from freestyle) movements are led by the lower body, whereas in water-surfing the torque is generated in the upper body, movement starts in the upper body, and the lower body follows.

Check the Moss videos that I posted in another thread earlier in this thread for links to the snow surfing style to which I'm referring (linked below) -- it literally looks like taking water-surfing to the snow. They're super fun but, IMO, of limited utility to snowboarding training apart from the above scenarios.

MOSS SNOWSTICK Performance Quad " surfing on snow" - YouTube

MOSS SNOWSTICK "THE SPRING SNOW" - YouTube

MOSS SNOWSTICK Wing SW "surfing on snow" - YouTube

Naoto Kotsugai (Instagram)

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
@WigMar my 47 inch “surf skate” drives off the front. In fact unless I’m “walking” on the board the back third of the board is really just along for the ride. My wheelbase is longer than a lot of decks lol. I haven’t gotten to ride as much as I’d like. It’s cycling season now!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #175
Hey Guys,
Did not get much time on my Hamboard the last couple of weeks between work and rain.
But started to feel a lot more comfortable on a 2h30 session a couple of Saturdays ago, pumping is still incredibly hard.
But as I was in a Decathlon (generic all sport shops in Europe), I realised they have their own "surfskate", I got on it in the shop and just started to pump. The shorter board (and less than half the weight) just makes it real easy to start.
So as much as I love the Hamboard, I snapped and got myself a Carver Greenroom!

greenroom.jpg

Arrived today and will go try it later!
Will report after that

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Got out today for some riding. I learned that I can keep the board weighted better while turning harder if my feet are staggered. Front foot more heelside and back foot more toeside. It keeps more weight in my front truck when turning toeside off the back foot and vice versa when going heelside. Much more grip this way. Not sure it would translate to a shorter board.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Hey Guys,
Did not get much time on my Hamboard the last couple of weeks between work and rain.
But started to feel a lot more comfortable on a 2h30 session a couple of Saturdays ago, pumping is still incredibly hard.
But as I was in a Decathlon (generic all sport shops in Europe), I realised they have their own "surfskate", I got on it in the shop and just started to pump. The shorter board (and less than half the weight) just makes it real easy to start.
So as much as I love the Hamboard, I snapped and got myself a Carver Greenroom!

View attachment 154139

Arrived today and will go try it later!
Will report after that
C7 trucks?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #178
C7 trucks?
Yeap.

Went for 45mn yesterday, super stable yet pumpable. I could pump on an slightly upwards street. Not a breeze (particularly while trying to wear my corona mask) but doable.
Few early comments from really small sample time:
  • It seemed not as fast as that cheap board I tried in the shop. I put it on the road quality vs perfectly smooth floor in the shop.
  • The C7 seem harder to start without pushing but it may also be longer wheelbase. The other difference is the other board had a front truck with a single axis where the C7 does not give you that easy bend without any speed but kind of feel flowier through turns.
  • It feels really stable but not as turny as the Hamboard, you can put the Hamboard on edge so easily to the point it almost touch ground. This may also be due that I spent a few hours on the Hamboard and little time on the Carver.

First impression if that I probably went to the safe side by taking one their longest board, and could have gone shorter as this is fairly stable. But this will be great for cruising and pumping longer distance. And that will force me to bend more to get tighter turns. For a beginner like me, that is what I need and the board look fantastic!
But for someone who want to surf train or play on a small parking spot, as a lot of review say, shorter wheelbase / CX or Yow/Smoothstar/Swelltech may provide a better experience.

Cheers,

·
Registered
674 Posts
My deck, Sims Mike Folmer with Indy trucks and Variflex wheels... circa around 1981?

And some vintage photos of the man himself riding his signature deck:

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
161 - 180 of 218 Posts