Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Looking to add a Swallowtail board to my quiver Got my eye on a couple looking for some recomendations/opinions.
have watched most reviews on board options as well.

1- If Im being honest Top of my list is the Bataleon Surfer, I just want a bataleon and it looks rad. sounds like it has some solid reviews and a cult following but the pricetag for a board ill prob use only in the best of conditions since it doenst sound like it preforms well on general groomers/etc is keeping me off it.
Other options that have caught my eye
2- Korua dart
3- K2 special effects
The Stranda Tree Surfer would be a solid call without breaking bank. The Prior Pow Stick is another amazing S/T in the mid price range that also rip on groomers. If money is not an issue Gentemstick or Moss both make amazing swallow tails. I think most of the pow specific boards typically carve pretty well too, but swallows can also be a bit hooky on the cord due to the softer flexiing tail, so the stiffness is an important consideration. I'll agree the Bataleon Surfer looks very cool, but I'd go with the premium build version, but then back to that near a grand price tag. Happy hunting !

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm a fan of the Never Summer swift. Amazing in powder and still rips a turn on the way back to the chair if you need it to.

·
Registered
162 Posts
It has a very long effective edge and the grip is solid. The nose is a bit flappy, but I guess it does what it's supposed to do. I'm not a fan of the shovel nose shape myself. I've only tried the Tree Surfer on piste. I rode the Bowlrider in some shallow dense powder though.

The Tree Surfer is incredible good looking in addition to being a very nice board. Still my favorite Stranda boards are the Shorty and the Descender.
Many of Matt's boards have a big soft rocker nose that rides along doing very little until the powder shows up then the big nose floats you right up. I demoed a tree surfer for a day on and off piste. You could very easily have the tree surfer as a 1 board quiver. Carves nicely in groomers and will ride powder very well. I liked it a lot but opted for the shorty which is stiffer in the tail because because the shorty is a somewhat, but not a lot, more aggressive carver.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Moonchild Space Racer, might want to look in to that one. Think it might be the best pow board I’ve ridden. Also carves great on groomers and it has a lot of pop.
Unless you're an NBA center, a 159 with 28.0 waist is for the best of conditions only.

It usually doesn't even take a season to decide how you feel about a board.
Agreed. I can typically get a pretty good feel after 2-5 days of mixed mountains/terrain/conditions.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
They all work in powder if you have the right size, but some are better than others at different stuff. I really don’t think the surfer would be bad at groomers either.
The Surfer is a pretty solid powder focused board that holds its own on piste.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Unless you're an NBA center, a 159 with 28.0 waist is for the best of conditions only.

Agreed. I can typically get a pretty good feel after 2-5 days of mixed mountains/terrain/conditions.
You underestimate the average weight of us gringos, at 250lbs with gear on 280mm waist is great for throwing around in the slop while maintaining stability and float

·
Registered
403 Posts

Don’t know what skill level you are at but I’m 180 tall and 75 kilos and have no problem throwing the Space Racer around. It’s not a board for doing skid turns or riding moguls, never said that. But for slaying groomers and all types of powder this bord is a ripper.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
A normal twin with 28 waist might have 32 stiff tail. The space racer has 29 swallowtail, theres a difference. It’s hard to judge rockered powderboards based on length. Regardless of skill, grab a board that is too stiff and wide for your feet, you won’t be able to ride it for long before getting tired. Adding more weight and running it on hardpack should only make that issue worse though.

·
Registered
korua dart/ride twinpig
16 Posts
I have a Dart and love it, did most of my time on this board this season, id say about 60-70 hrs on it. its fun on groomers just to cruise, hard carve or side hit. You do have to be almost all in all the time with it tho... while it can go slow its not a very fun board at slow speed. its way better then I expected in every way when there is no pow around.

now, when there is pow around that board is a blast I got it in 160 and i have endless float, deepest i got was probably 4-5ft of powder. its the board i had the most fun on when the snow is good. it handle trees very well, its slashy and it feels natural to ride. at first I felt the board was not su fun to ride when every thing got tracked out but I got used to it, now its fine. so basicly if you want a go to powder board thats also handles groomers well id highly recommand the Dart.

good luck on your hunt.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Don’t know what skill level you are at but I’m 180 tall and 75 kilos and have no problem throwing the Space Racer around. It’s not a board for doing skid turns or riding moguls, never said that. But for slaying groomers and all types of powder this bord is a ripper.
So that converts to 5'10" 165lbs. Unless you have a size 14 boot, it's just physics...no argument to be had. It's a beautiful board, which is why I own one, but it's not even remotely suited for anything but the most ideal conditions. Clearly, you only ride wide open powder bowls and fresh corduroy first thing in the morning and make it to Après' by 1100. :ROFLMAO:

You underestimate the average weight of us gringos, at 250lbs with gear on 280mm waist is great for throwing around in the slop while maintaining stability and float
This is more plausible--that's a boatload of leverage!

·
Registered
149 Posts
I love a swallow tail on deep snow. The lack of board allows snow to pass through, reducing float, sinkin the tail, lifting the nose. My 1st swallow tail I road was 2016 Libby Tech Fish. Now I have an older GNU Swallow Tail Carver and a newer Round nose fish. Recently at Baldface I got to ride Jeff's old 2016 and man do I miss it. There were a couple guys on the Batelon and Darts. There are amazing off the shelf swallow tails. But before you buy one of the big brands check out Vaughan Snowboards.

Recently while on a cat @ Big Red I ran into a Pro that connected me with an ex olymipian, David Vaughn. David is so cool to talk too. He is currently still taking orders for 2023. For pretty much the same price as a off the shelf deck will tailor you the perfect board.

Product Textile Font Wood Sports equipment

21 - 34 of 34 Posts