Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Have been trawling through this site, manufacturers pages, you tube reviews and old board mags and have worked myself up into a froth over getting a new board for a trip to Canada that I have booked for Feb next year. I must admit that I am a bit baffled by the technology in current snowboards but I really like the sound of the Lib Tech, Gnu all mountain profiles and am keen to try something new. However the more I dig, the more confused I am getting and the more the possible list grows.

I currently ride a 2003 Option Signature 158 which is stiff all mountain freestyle board that I bought near the end of the season I spent in Morzine, Avoriaz in 2003. At the time I bought it I really regretted it as I had sold on my beloved 2003 Burton Custom 158 to help buy it for the sole reason that the Option was a bargain in the end of season sale and I had put a nasty gash in the base of the custom down to the core which I had repaired in a local board shop.

To my horror, by comparison with my custom the option lacked pop and speed and it felt wider which made it more difficult to turn. It was made slightly worse by the fact my housemate who had bought the custom was now shooting to the moon off every kicker we hit as I had done when I rode the board.

I have since realised that the Option needed several good waxings as the base had dried out having been left in the humid shop for months. It also needed to be ridden much harder than the Burton to make it perform. I am used to it now but for me it still isn't as lively or as good a board as the Burton, especially when I try and throw it around off jumps. Maybe I'm just not heavy enough for it?

I am 36yrs old 5'10 weigh 147lbs and have size 10 boots (US) but my boots are Salomon which have quite a small overall footprint. At the time I bought my old camber boards I was right in the middle of the weight range and didn't struggle with the sizes on or off piste (apart from the slight width issue on the option). I have been riding for the last 20 odd years (for a week each year with the exception of a season spent in the French Alps) and I am a confident all mountain rider who can do a few spins.

Given the amount of time I have to ride, I take whatever I can get and ride all over the place. In a new resort that I have never been to I am likely to stick reasonably close to the marked runs and maybe go for a few runs through the park.

I am leaning towards getting something from the Lib Tech of Gnu line up. I almost bought a lib tech TRS 157 in the sale last week before I started to look at prices of new 2014 boards in Whistler where I will be going. The prices are identical if not slightly less than the UK sale price of the 2013 TRS I saw!

Then I looked more at the T Rice, Then at the Rider's Choice, then at the Banana Magic. Then someone mentioned the Rossignol one magtek.
I don't think I can get over my preconceptions of rossignol as a ski manufacturer after I rode one of their early tin man boards years ago and it sucked massively (though the quality of hire equipment in Europe was at an all time low then).

So here is the main problem. I have no way of trying out a new board before I buy it as I live nowhere near anywhere I can demo one and there seem to be limited stockists in the UK for Lib Tech. Given the difference in price, I think I might try and buy when I get to the resort and 'sly' it back in my board bag so the nice men at customs and excise don't charge me another 20% VAT plus import duty!

Secondly, given what I have read it seems like loads of you guys are riding really short boards for your weight compared to me and this seems to be down to the CRC profile of some of the new boards. This appeals to me as I had a 1999 152 Burton custom before the 158 which was good fun for freestyle at the time but is a nightmare to ride now (yep I still have it) as it has turned into a noodle! I have no idea what size board to get as I have no experience of a board of this type.

The main reason for getting a new board for this trip is that I am unlikely to get the chance to go to Canada again for a very long time and I want to make the most of it, I don't want to go thinking that my board is holding me back. I am confident riding fast and switch, like messing around on the nose and I want something high performance that pops like my old Burton 158, is quick edge to edge and is nice and light and fun enough to throw around in the odd 360 (I have never landed more than a 360).

Any help or advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Monty

·
Registered
8,200 Posts
first off, imho Canada made Options were great boards back in the day...I still got 3 of them and ride them once in awhile, all cambered; a 155 twin K Starr that is a lot of fun and pops, 158 Trinity stiffy machine and 162 Northshore shovelnose pintail.

2nd at 147# you are abit light for the 158 signature...you need more weight to decamber that thing to get it to pop...so at 147# a 148-154 would be a better sized option board...the higher end Options tended to be abit on the stiffer side both flex wise and torsionally.

imho if you want poppy liveliness and rock solid bombing perhaps stay with a cambered deck or maybe a new c3...(idk have not rode a c3)

I'm 180# and been on gnu's c2btx in a 155 bpro, 154 rider's choice and a billygoat 159 splitty (my goat is great deck very quick and agile and I'd love to have a 155 bpro or 154 riders choice or even a 156 billy goat for most of the usual up to 8" fresh of inbounds resort riding...my current default board is the 155 Option or sometimes the 158 Option if I riding the Goat or the 164 Charlie Slasher for the really deep poo)...the Gnus are a lot of fun and perhaps more agile and quick to turn but don't have near the cambered pop of the Options...but the Options when bombing groomers will hold a carve and feel more stable though they are not necessarily a damp feeling board.

I'd say wait til you get to Canada and demo...but perhaps demo a 152 rider's choice or idk billygoat with c3 come in a 152 size or go with a bpro for your weight.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Wrathfuldeity, thanks for the response. I had not looked at the B Pro but it looks good and the C3 BTX profile sounds interesting. I could still keep the 158 signature for the deep stuff as it is a brilliant board for that so maybe a shorter board would be good.

The different types of camber rocker profiles really confuse me so I'm not sure what difference a C2 BTX board would feel like compared to a C3 BTX. What size do you think would suit? GNU states the B Pro 152 is suitable for riders weighing 110-180lbs, which is a very broad weight range but I sit somewhere in the middle. I think the 148 might feel a bit small? How would a 152 CRC board feel compared to a cambered board from 10 years ago?

Also do you know what the B Pro would be like compared to the Lib Tech Banana Magic or the T Rice HP, I am keen on a sintered base as this is what I have always ridden plus I like the sound of the super light construction (I know the B Pro has this too).

Would a T Rice be wider (too wide)? The width at the waist is another one I am concerned about so that it doesn't feel like a effort to switch from edge to edge. If it makes any difference I ride +21 on the front foot and -9 on the back foot.

The trouble is there is so much choice, far more seemingly than when I last bought a board.

Thanks again

Monty

·
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
6,863 Posts
Where in Canada you heading?

I know if you demo a board at some of the shops here in calgary, they'll apply the demo/rental fee to a board purchase, up to two boards.

I like RCR or camber with lifted tips more for our conditions. I'm also a pretty diehard camber guy, so mostly camber with a bit of early lift to the tips is good for powder, while still allowing me to carve like a champ on the groomed stuff.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Where in Canada you heading?
Exactly my question.

Sorry I see you're going to Whistler, lots of fun to be had there.

Whistler has performance rentals, and also has a demo tent on top of the hill, I think it's all burton. That said you could demo as much of the burton line as you wanted to, including hybrid and rocker profiles, maybe your next board will be another custom.

Methinks you will be good with something shorter this time around as well, at 185 lbs I ride 158 to 163 depending on the board.

I don't know if the other whistler shops provide demos for the other brands, perhaps someone else can advise on that.

·
Scorching the Slopes
2,139 Posts
Whistler has performance rentals, and also has a demo tent on top of the hill, I think it's all burton.

I don't know if the other whistler shops provide demos for the other brands, perhaps someone else can advise on that.
When I was at Whistler two seasons ago, I demoed three Lib Tech boards, so unless it's changed since then, you can demo LTs.

I was thinking the Hot Knife might be appropriate for you.
Mostly camber, but small rocker in the middle to loosen it up slightly.

I'm selling my TRice HP only because it is a mid-wide waist. Otherwise, terrific board.

Banana Magic is my favourite board, but coming from camber only, that might be too big a jump in board profile for you. LT's largest rocker in the middle makes for a notable surfiness, although the deep sidecut and relative stiffness still make it reasonably stable.
I'd go C2 or C3 BTX instead.

Enjoy your trip!:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
I think the T. Rice will be too wide for you with your size 10 Salomons.

I think you should check out the TRS but in something smaller than a 157. That's what I would ride and I'm ~ 200 lbs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I really do like the look of the TRS though the TNT base does put me off a bit, does it make that much of a difference? Assuming I chose a TRS, would the 154 be the right size or the 154N (too narrow) or should I go shorter?

·
Banned
1,966 Posts
I really do like the look of the TRS though the TNT base does put me off a bit, does it make that much of a difference? Assuming I chose a TRS, would the 154 be the right size or the 154N (too narrow) or should I go shorter?
I think Hot Knife has been the best suggestion.

154 or 157 TRS is also a good choice if you want a true twin - TNT base makes no difference whatsoever. If you are really concerned about the base you could get an equivalent size GNU Riders Choice if you are ok with the asym shape - almost identical to TRS, but sintered based.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Sorry to hijack but since the topic is sizing, what would you recommend for someone in the 185-190lb range and 6'4?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts