Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I would guess that there's more than a few peeps around here that have gone from traditional camber to C2-BTX (or similar hybrid profiles) and I'm wondering how much different they really are/feel and how much of an adjustment period there was before you felt comfortable.

I ride a stiff Palmer Carbon Circle II but really like the LibTech T. Rice due to it being on the stiff side and for the MTX - plus this years graphics are pretty cool. I live in the Midwest and it gets pretty icey here and Magnetraction would really come in handy.

I don't go in the park or jib, purely for speed on groomers and a bit of Midwest powder - if there really is such a thing. :)

The sales are starting to hit and I don't want to miss out on a good deal but I don't want to waste money on a deck that will make it feel like I'm learning to ride all over again. My other option is that the 2014 Gnu Billy Goat is going to have the camber-dominant C3 profile so maybe I should just wait until its available.

Thoughts??

·
Registered
8,209 Posts
well if ur truely only blasting groomed ice at 40-50+mph...camber
but if you want to be at more cruising speed of 35 mph and mix things up and be a bit more playful and some nimble agility then the c2btx
is there a difference=yes, how much=not much in the middle but at the extreme levels of riding=yes wheather it be playfulness or at 50mph.

as for billy...it kind of goes the same way with c2 vs c3 billy....but imho buying a billy for the midwest...is a vanity thing and a waste of money...you would be severely under-utilizing its abilities on a midwest hill...billy was developed and made for steep tight pnw riding

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.

I do usually go out west every year so my focus for a new deck would be to make sure that it can handle the Colorado/Utah/Cali resorts while the Magnetraction would be nice for some of the icey conditions that I run into at the local hills. Kinda killing two birds with one stone.

I've never measured how fast I go on the local hills but I'd guess 25-30MPH tops. The runs around here aren't very long and it makes getting up to higher speeds a bit difficult. However, I don't think I'd ever try to get up to 50MPH. :)

I do want to make sure that my new deck feels stable at higher speeds. Or at least what I would consider high speeds - 30MPH or so.

Ive heard that the 2014 Billy Goat will have a more "mellow" Magnetraction which won't be as "catchy" so that was a plus as well.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
The switch really isn't that hard to make. If you can ride a camber deck, then you can ride a hybrid. It MIGHT take you a run or two to really feel it out, but believe me, you will be just fine.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Not much difference. I went from Camber to Never Summer's R/C with almost no adjustment. I noticed a difference but it wasn't huge. A little squirrely flat basing on hard pack but that's about it.

The camber sections on the hybrid retain a lot of the feel of camber IMO.

Now, after riding Arbor's rocker for almost a season, and then going back to NS' R/C, that required an adjustment! I got lazy and sloppy with technique on the the Arbors. Took a Cobra out and was instantly reminded that I needed to stay more technical on it. Might just be the cobra though and not r/c in general.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I switched from an old cambered Jamie Lynn Phoenix to a Gnu Riders Choice with c2BTX. Took me about three runs to adjust, but I was falling in love with snowboarding all over again.

The stability at high speeds is still there, but flat basing is a different feel. I find that you can still get that flat based feel by being ever so slightly on edge with the c2. To me the faster you go the more it locks in to that camber feel of stability.

Overall I found going to c2 improved my confidence on technical terrain and I was able to bomb through stuff I would have previously expected to eat me up.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all of the replies - it's much appreciated.

I' gonna start hunting the online sales for a 157 T. Rice and try to get a good deal. Dogfunk has them for a decent price - I think for around $450.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I haven't really bought a board towards the end of a season before - is 30% off a good deal or will they cut the prices even more?

·
Registered
6,277 Posts
It's tough, it took me years to relearn everything all over again.

& still I can barely make it down the green circles.

Maybe some people just never get the hang of these new fangled skiboards?

One of these days I'll figure it out, hopefully:dunno:

TT

·
Registered
397 Posts
I have a 157 TRice with C2BTX and it was my first board ever that wasn't full camber. The first few days were weird and I remember thinking that I might have made a big mistake, but by the end if the season (20 days on it) I was loving it. This year I feel even better on it and I'm riding faster than ever with total confidence, 50mph+ all the time easy. I was thinking of going with a C3 profile next year but now i'm thinking that I'm going to stick with the C2 since I love it so much at the moment. I want the 2014 TRice Speedodeeps board for next season I'm thinking, to add to the collection and maybe be a possible quiver killer board. Good luck with your Rice... Give it a few days and you'll end up loving it once you get used to it.

·
Premium Member
2,476 Posts
I'm sort of in the same boat, been riding a cambered MTX since like 2007 and next year I'm getting a new one for sure this time. But I think I am leaning more towards the C3 tech to hopefully keep more of the cambered traits I'm used to and because camber suits my style of riding more.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have a 157 TRice with C2BTX and it was my first board ever that wasn't full camber. The first few days were weird and I remember thinking that I might have made a big mistake, but by the end if the season (20 days on it) I was loving it. This year I feel even better on it and I'm riding faster than ever with total confidence, 50mph+ all the time easy. I was thinking of going with a C3 profile next year but now i'm thinking that I'm going to stick with the C2 since I love it so much at the moment. I want the 2014 TRice Speedodeeps board for next season I'm thinking, to add to the collection and maybe be a possible quiver killer board. Good luck with your Rice... Give it a few days and you'll end up loving it once you get used to it.
I'm sort of in the same boat, been riding a cambered MTX since like 2007 and next year I'm getting a new one for sure this time. But I think I am leaning more towards the C3 tech to hopefully keep more of the cambered traits I'm used to and because camber suits my style of riding more.
I was hoping to get the T. Rice fast enough to use it a bit this season but I'll be traveling for the next month so I won't really get a chance to check it out until probably next season. I'd really like a stiff camber-dominant board with Magnetraction so I've been stuggling with waiting to get the 2014 Gnu Billy Goat or just spring for the T. Rice and figure it out.

Thanks to both of you for your replies - definitely some things to think about.

·
Registered
922 Posts
while i didnt go from camber to C2BTX, i did go from camber to full banana to hybrid camber (NS) and i can say that the biggest transition is from camber to full rocker.. its a TOTALLY different feel. the hybrid camber is just alot of fun, but it definitely isnt made for bombing at 50+ (well, my evo isnt anyway).. i think i topped out at 37 mph on it, but i was REALLY digging my edges and working hard to keep it stable.

i do have to say that i really prefer the hybrid camber as an all mountain board though..it can go anywhere, tackle pretty much anything (within reason) and is really playful.

edit: i was going to say, if you want the best of both, the TRICE is the board for you probably.

·
Premium Member
4,142 Posts
I haven't really bought a board towards the end of a season before - is 30% off a good deal or will they cut the prices even more?
The longer you wait you might find some more discounts but usually won't see any more than 40% off. The flip-side of this is that everyone else who is waiting for a sale is also shopping now for discounted gear, so by the time 40% off rolls around, the board you want might not be available.

I say if you can get it for 25-30% off right now, buy it, and ride the rest of this season on it to get your money's worth. Potentially saving $30-40 IMO isn't worth the risk of not getting the board you want, so just sack up and buy it now :)

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I'm with David on this one. Plus, if you buy through some retailers they will price match for a certain amount of time after you buy. For example, I bought my board this year from dogfunk and it went on sale the week after. I called them and they refunded me the difference. And another week or so after that, I found the same board somewhere else for $112 bucks less than what I paid on clearance, so I called up dogfunk and just for the hell of it asked them if they'd match that even though I already bought the board. They did it!

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I just ordered the 157 T. Rice from Evo and upgraded to 2-day shipping so I can ride it this weekend.

Thanks for the help everyone!! :)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts