Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm having a difficult time finding any detailed information or reviews on these so called "switch x type step in bindings".

i want to know if its possible to combine them with a Burton ICS (in channel system) board, or if its a totally ridiculous idea.

any information would be greatly appreciated!

here is a video clip of what im talking about: Tribute to Switch X-type step-in snowboard bindings - YouTube

are these things obsolete now?

·
Veteran Member
11,555 Posts
Completely obsolete. Bindings nor boots are made any more. You are much better off going with something current.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the swift reply!
no wonder i couldnt find anything >_<

i think i read somewhere on the forums that it's possible to set up Flow bindings with a Burton ICS. Is that correct?

...Maybe i could combine it with some "speed lace" or "speed wheel" boots and get boarding lickedy-split!

·
Veteran Member
11,555 Posts
I think there is some sort of adapter plate, but it's going to be half assed. If you are going ICS you might as well go full on and get the bindings that work with it. Either that or get something that uses the standard whole pattern.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
:/ well that makes me a little sad, but not discouraged!

i'll keep looking and see if i can find something similar to a "flow" type binding that Burton makes. *crosses fingers*

thanks again for your reply!

any suggestions? :)

·
Veteran Member
11,555 Posts
Why the obsession with Flow or step in bindings? I am not against Flow, I've used them several times in the past. The thing is that with a little practice, it barely takes any longer to get into strap style bindings.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i have arthritis in my spine so its difficult for me to strap my bindings :/ its also hard for me to get up from a sitting position after strapping in... i basically look like a doofus when i try to get up.

i think with a binding set up like flow i would enjoy the sport more :)

·
Veteran Member
11,555 Posts
I never have to sit down to put my strap bindings on. Regardless of what style you go with you are going to have bend over to secure and release the binding.

Only un-evolved sit to put their bindings on...

Seriously though, I think you just need to concentrate more on strapping in while standing up. Burton Ratchets are pretty good. Smooth and easy to operate.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
idk, i just feel kinda primitive using strap in bindings. But i'm itching to try something similar to "flow" bindings. It just looks so cool and simple!

ive read the pros and cons to them but i mostly would like to park ride since i live in Flat ass Nebraska. It seems well worth the investment to save a few seconds every time i get off a lift because there is only 1 or 2 places to board around here... the lines of ppl are annoying and its too crowded to sit down.

suggestions are still welcome and appreciated :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I kinda figured that would be the basic suggestion, it's just ever since I saw the Burton infinite channel system I've thought it was pretty darn genius, so I'm kinda obsessing over it at the moment. Are there any other manufacturers with a similar design?

I've looked pretty hard and can't find anything but I SWEAR I saw something with a dual channel system, somebody suggested it in a "unique board design" topic. I just gotta find it again! <_< >_>

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
I kinda figured that would be the basic suggestion, it's just ever since I saw the Burton infinite channel system I've thought it was pretty darn genius, so I'm kinda obsessing over it at the moment. Are there any other manufacturers with a similar design?

I've looked pretty hard and can't find anything but I SWEAR I saw something with a dual channel system, somebody suggested it in a "unique board design" topic. I just gotta find it again! <_< >_>
Channel boards have been around for 14 years (give or take a year). The reason you don't see more of them, is it's solving an issue that doesn't exist. The channel also effects the way the board flexes. Whether that's a good thing, or a bad thing depends on who you're talking to.

The channel is great if you don't have an adjustable heelcup, and effected by stance limitations. We make channel compatible disks and actually sell quite a few, proving it's a viable option.

Cheers.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hmm well thank you both for your wisdom ^_^ i'll have to do some research on these "adjustable heel cups".

Not sure if it matters, but i actually DO have a minor stance limitation due to my arthritis. It affects my hip flexors and lower back flexibility. It kinda forces me to ride "duck stance", which is common and im comfortable with, but thats why im trying to find equipment that makes strapping in and adjusting, fast and flexible. Some days i feel stiffer than others and it forces me to change up my stance just a little. So, for some reason, i have a feeling that a combination of these easy-go options will make my snowboarding experience effortlessly more enjoyable :)

it sux being 25 and to have arthritis -__-*

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
hmm well thank you both for your wisdom ^_^ i'll have to do some research on these "adjustable heel cups".

Not sure if it matters, but i actually DO have a minor stance limitation due to my arthritis. It affects my hip flexors and lower back flexibility. It kinda forces me to ride "duck stance", which is common and im comfortable with, but thats why im trying to find equipment that makes strapping in and adjusting, fast and flexible. Some days i feel stiffer than others and it forces me to change up my stance just a little. So, for some reason, i have a feeling that a combination of these easy-go options will make my snowboarding experience effortlessly more enjoyable :)

it sux being 25 and to have arthritis -__-*
I'm not totally sure, but I believe you can still get the Clicker system from K2. Could be a good solution. Maybe one BA or Nivek know something about this?

You gotta figure out how to remedy your arthritis man!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hi KrazyKoreanKid,

Sorry to hear about your arthritis, but stoked to hear you are still out there snowboarding!
You assessment of getting some Flow bindings is very wise, as they are indeed a lot easier to get into. You do not have to bend down as much as for two-straps, and it's only one pull on the hiback for each binding instead of closing and ratcheting two straps per foot.

The Flow NX2 and Fuse series models all come with Multi-disks, which are designed to be totally compatible with the Burton Channel-system.
For the other Flow models there is a separate Channel-disk available just like UnionInhouse said.

But I would look into the NX2 or Fuse series models; they have the new NASTY Active Strap system, which makes it even easier to get in&out!

Enjoy!

·
Registered
12,608 Posts
I'm not totally sure, but I believe you can still get the Clicker system from K2. Could be a good solution. Maybe one BA or Nivek know something about this?

You gotta figure out how to remedy your arthritis man!
Pretty sure you're closer to that landfill full of Clickers up in the NW than we are.

There is the Kwicker system but that's for splitboards and as I haven't tested it yet I'm not sure how practical it actually is. Nor do I think even with some DIYing could you get it to work on a solid board.

So you have arthritis. It's not the end of the world for you, I have it. In fact it's flaring right now in my hips as I type this due to the fact I'm positive it's snowing up the street from me. The best way to mitigate it is to exercise, stretch, and look into supplements/enzymes that can help you. Or just don't snowboard. Harsh reality but the truth.

Solucien is right there is an EST compatible disk for the Flows and that could be an option. I would rule out attempting to bother with the K2 Cinch tech as it's a pile of shit. The APO Dual Tech though could be an option as well.

But honestly don't sit down to strap in do some yoga, do some exercise, and learn how to bend at the knees, hips, waist, and back to strap in. It's not that hard. If my geriatric ass can still do it a couple hundred times a day I'm sure you can too.

·
Veteran Member
11,555 Posts
I think the Kwicker would work with those solid board adapter pucks. I am not sure why though. I find it interesting K2 did not go to their own athlete, Kyle Miller who spends close to 200 days a year on his split and get advice.

I can tell they were thinking about the design, but it seems they didn't quite punch it all the way through to me. Then again, I could be wrong. Time will tell.

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
I think the Kwicker would work with those solid board adapter pucks. I am not sure why though. I find it interesting K2 did not go to their own athlete, Kyle Miller who spends close to 200 days a year on his split and get advice.

I can tell they were thinking about the design, but it seems they didn't quite punch it all the way through to me. Then again, I could be wrong. Time will tell.
I know next to nothing about the Kwicker, but I'm under the impression that the boots are based on the original system?

I was thinking he could buy the new boots and find some old Clicker bindings online.

OP - Call K2 customer service and ask.

·
Registered
12,608 Posts
I know next to nothing about the Kwicker, but I'm under the impression that the boots are based on the original system?

I was thinking he could buy the new boots and find some old Clicker bindings online.

OP - Call K2 customer service and ask.
There's tweaks to it that lead me to believe there won't be any compatibility.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts