Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now I am 5'4 and 110.5 lbs in shorts and a T shirt, and currently i have a skate banana in 145 with contact pros. Since now i mostly ride powder and am going to mostly do freeride freestyle I think the t rice would probably be a good board, but any suggestions are welcome the Banana has gotten a little small but its great for park. do you think the t. rice would be too big at 153? Also the next time I will be riding is christmas so i expect to gain some weight before then. Thanks

·
Registered
67 Posts
WIth your size and weight, you are kind of stuck with the 153. If you mainly do powder, I would be a bit worried because it is blunted tips and a fairly heavy board.

I am 5'10 and 155lb, and ride a 2012 157 trice pro. I have only taken it out once (haven't tried it in pow yet). But I found it a bit to heavy and stiff for my liking. Its also not a forgiving board, don't get me wrong, its an amazing boarding for bombing trails and carving. However, it loose forcus or don't land a jump properly, it will catch an edge and fling you.

If your really set on a trice, then the 153 should be good enough all mountain board for you. I would not recommend bring that board in the park (based on your size), because it is quite a stiff board.

PLUS, the graphics are amazing on the trice (a big reason why I bought it)

·
Banned!
7,679 Posts
If you mainly do powder, I would be a bit worried because it is blunted tips and a fairly heavy board.
really? how can a board not be for pow or park? pretty sure that board will SLAY powder man. maybe people just buy it cuz it looks good on the slopeside racks.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I'm 5'5" 150-153 lbs, rode the 153 T.Rice last year at whistler on some insane pow days and thing still floats. Yea, your back leg will probably be tired if it's a really deep day, but hey it's not a pow specific board and probably will float better than a cambered deck.

·
Registered
889 Posts
really? how can a board not be for pow or park? pretty sure that board will SLAY powder man. maybe people just buy it cuz it looks good on the slopeside racks.
The T-Rice will slay the powder no problem...blunted tips or not. I can't imagine the blunted tips have much impact at all on it's powder performance.

I'm 6'4'' 210 and ride the TRice 161.5. Rode it in tits deep powder last Friday and it floated just fine.

It is much stiffer than the bannana so that is definitely something to think about, but it's made for freeride and big jumps so if that's what you need, then go for it.

It's also a good board for jumps in the park, but not so much for rails/butters.

·
Registered
67 Posts
With regards to HP or Pro. If your mainlyd doing pow, then I think the HP is worth the extra $100. The HP is lighter which will help with the float. It does have a softer flex too (eventhough it is rated at a 7, the HP is actually closer the 5/6). Im not sure if a softer flex is better or not (mainly cause I don't really ride pow).

According to my local shop, the HP edge to edge control is actually alot better than the Pro.

I was originally planning on getting the HP. However, I acutally didn't like the sparkly top sheet and I wanted a stiffer board.

Again I want to metion how much heavyier the the Trice is. When I first bought it at the shop, I thought the weight wasn good. However, when riding the chair lift you will notice the weight, and on flat areas where your moving slow; it takes a bit more effort to maneuver.

·
Registered
67 Posts
The 153 and 157 are ment to be the Trice park board. However, its really only a good park board if your doing massive kickers or pipe.

I wouldn't recommend it for jibs or small jumps; which you want a soft and playful board.

The Trice is amazing for freeriding steep mountains.

·
Registered
72 Posts
so even with my weight as it is right now would it still work?
If you do POW and not afraid of a stiff board, then by all means it will be amazing for you.
I would agree with all the warnings about the board being stiff and best utilized by advanced riders. However, don't be afraid of it even if you are just intermediate rider. I'm positive by end of the season you will adapt and fit right in on it. The board tends to make you advance to the next level, because you'll be able to go faster, carve harder and do bigger jumps as you progress during the season.

·
Registered
889 Posts
so even with my weight as it is right now would it still work?
The size is fine, and like the last poster said, it really just depends on what you are looking for in a board. If you want stiff and aggressive, the TRice will be great for you.

If you want a similar board that isn't as stiff, look at the TRS. It also has smaller options if you think 153 is too big.

However, if powder is your main use for this board, I'd stick with the TRice unless you are still learning to ride and a stiff board will be too tough to handle.

·
Registered
260 Posts
If I want to hit up the park (jumps only, I dislike jibbing) would it still work for that?
T.Rice in ANY size is HORRIBLE for jumps... that's not what he does...

Wait, what?

Seriously though, I ride a 157 for all mountain and jumps, cliffs, drops are SOOOO comfortable on this board...

·
Registered
260 Posts
I have Flow NXT-FSE's, but any med-stiff to stiff binding would be good. Not sure if he still does but Travis used Burton
Cartels for years.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts