Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know Tahoe can be feast or famine and difficult to predict with snow, but I'm trying to decide when to go. The two options are 1/30- 2/3, or 2/27-3/3. I only snowboard midweek on non-holiday weeks. Just figured I ask people who are more familiar with that area before booking. I'm coming from northern Vermont, so I know I'll love the terrain and hopefully get a pow day.

·
Veteran Member
10,708 Posts
I know Tahoe can be feast or famine and difficult to predict with snow, but I'm trying to decide when to go. The two options are 1/30- 2/3, or 2/27-3/3. I only snowboard midweek on non-holiday weeks. Just figured I ask people who are more familiar with that area before booking. I'm coming from northern Vermont, so I know I'll love the terrain and hopefully get a pow day.
Historically speaking March is the snowiest month everywhere in the West. I'd book your later dates.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Jan is usually not good but start of Feb traditionally starts the storm cycle. Early March could at least have a better base (if its a bad year) which opens up the best terrain.

We get big dumps and long spells of nice sunny days. Hope for sunny days. If you do catch powder it can mean whiteouts, power-outs and closed lifts. Not great for a vacation (which is why I always recommend everyone go to Colorado :)) Last Xmas we got 20' in a week then it didn't snow for over 2 months. Who knows what this year brings but there doesn't seem to be a normal anymore.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Since, I'm guessing you'll probably be flying into Reno....if you intend to rent a car... get a SUV with AWD/4WD. And maybe they might have chains in the car....

Since CA side of Lake Tahoe, has different rules for snow driving... as you're supposed to carry chains, but rental cars tend not to have chains

In particular R2 chain control: AWD with all-season tires gets a pass, but 2WD needs to have chains.
R3 chain control (which is rare): everybody has to put on chains. Even subarus with their legendary symmetrical AWD system.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Seems like its getting really difficult to plan snowboard trips well in advance. Just have to book and roll the dice and hope it works out. I chose Tahoe because it's cheap for me and it allows me to see family in Grass Valley. I'll be flying into Sacramento since that's closer to them and I won't have to worry about the pass being closed. I won't need to rent a car, I'll use their SUV and they have chains. I'll be staying in the resort village midweek when snowboarding, and I'll stay with family on the weekends. With my luck, Vermont will get pounded while I'm gone and Tahoe conditions will suck.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I ended up booking the later date, I'll be at Palisades 2/27 - 3/3, lets hope for snow. Now I have to decide if I bring the splitboard for a day of guided back country fun, or if I just ride the crap out of Palisades.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Granite Chief is dope. Steep enough to be fun, but much lower consequence than Silverado, KT, or Headwall. I can have fun without having to be quite as "on" and amped as I am in those other zones. The lift is old and slow, but that's the only real drawback.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts