Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone has ridden the two and can compare flex/response between the two?
I am an all mountain kind of rider. NO park but don't mind chasing natural jumps and features etc. Running salomon chiefs and have just ordered a machete GT.
Need canted footbeds for effed knees so choices are limited but liking the look of the rome gear.
The bosses seem all there , just want to know HOW flexy the highback maybe...

·
Registered
538 Posts
I say Targas, adjustable flex, and if you are over 200lbs or so sometimes those 390 highbacks can get overpowered on carves and such. Though I did ride them for 2 years before I got some Capos which are similar to the Targas, but much prefer the Capos on my Mod Rocker and Anthem. Plus the ankle strap on the 390 seems soft as well. I dealt with them for a while, but am much happier with a around a 7 flex binding on both boards, and the Mod is probably similar to the Machete you are looking at.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers for that.
I come in round 170 so the flex may be a little more doable for me but on this board I was thinking something a little more direct might be the go as well.
Thanks

·
Registered
538 Posts
Targas are a nice binding, was looking to purchase a pair at my local shop, but they didn't have them and went with the Capos instead. Should work well with that board, just wish the Capos had the ankle strap adjustability but can't say I am unhappy with them at all.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Being a ride board, i researched the capos et al for quite some time and in the end decided I might chase the romes for the extra options on the cant (wrecked knees) and frankly, better reports, durability wise and such.
I hope you aren't having any issues.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Being a ride board, i researched the capos et al for quite some time and in the end decided I might chase the romes for the extra options on the cant (wrecked knees) and frankly, better reports, durability wise and such.
I hope you aren't having any issues.
No issues at all but the Targas do come with multiple footbeds. Whereas the Capos just come with the 2.5, but I tended to use the 2.5 with my Romes, so it's fine. Really like the Capos aside from snow getting in the ratchets and making me fiddle with the release, but have had the same problem with Rome and Burton bindings too.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So maybe the complaining is just dramatic over emphasis on stuff that just happens to pretty much most bindings?!
have you set your highbacks up parallel with the edges and if so, does everything sit ok?
I run 15/15 and worry about whether stuff will accomodate the adjustment. Not just on ride's but i had a set of prophecyss that didn't like the rotation much either.
Cheers for the feedback...
I'm rethinking the capos now!!! love the chassis.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I do set up the bindings parallel with the the board, but more because I prefer the lateral movement it allows, while still maintaining heel edge response. The only draw back to the Capo is if you wanted more than 2.5 canted beds, you would have to order them separately.

·
Registered
144 Posts
the targas are nice, but the highback adjustment won't stay put, it works it's way out throughout the day, i've resorted to duct tape and jamming plastic in there to keep it from closing up... slightly disappointed to have to do this to an almost brand new bindings, this is 2nd set it's happened on. :thumbsdown:

·
Registered
538 Posts
the targas are nice, but the highback adjustment won't stay put, it works it's way out throughout the day, i've resorted to duct tape and jamming plastic in there to keep it from closing up... slightly disappointed to have to do this to an almost brand new bindings, this is 2nd set it's happened on. :thumbsdown:
They have changed the highback adjustment to a lever system like Burton and Ride run. Easy trick is to remove the spring from the mechanism, will help with that on the older ones.

·
Registered
144 Posts
i have the 12/13 targas and the highback adjustment is a piece of shit, this is the second pair it's been like that on. they should fire the engineer that designed that highback adjustment mechanism. very disappointed to have a duct tape solution applied to a brand new pair of rome bindings in order to get an important adjustment to stay put. :thumbsdown:

·
Registered
538 Posts
This change take place on the 2013 model or next years 2014 model?

Think it is on the the 2013, though I may be wrong. Huck, unscrew that hex nut, take the assembly out and remove the spring, has solved the problem on my 2012 390's.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Think it is on the the 2013, though I may be wrong. Huck, unscrew that hex nut, take the assembly out and remove the spring, has solved the problem on my 2012 390's.
there is no hex nut, i think you perhaps have not seen the targa highback, i have this years version, and i bought them only a month ago. so they better not be 2 older past year versions.

·
Registered
538 Posts
there is no hex nut, i think you perhaps have not seen the targa highback, i have this years version, and i bought them only a month ago. so they better not be 2 older past year versions.
Must have changed it for the 2013 model, looks like they have the locking lever for the upcoming 2014. I understand you annoyance though. Thought they had the same rotating highback lock that the 2012 model had.

Edit: actually looking at it, guess they have different lean adjustment mechanisms even back then. Thought it was the same but with a stiffer highback. 2011 had the same one.

·
Registered
833 Posts
i have the 12/13 targas and the highback adjustment is a piece of shit, this is the second pair it's been like that on. they should fire the engineer that designed that highback adjustment mechanism. very disappointed to have a duct tape solution applied to a brand new pair of rome bindings in order to get an important adjustment to stay put. :thumbsdown:
Search on here and you'll see it's a common complaint on rome bindings. I ditched a pair of rome mobs after 2 days earlier this season. Front lean adjustment is a joke, basically fell to bits on the first run and then the toe straps snapped. Quite funny actually how bad they were. Replaced with Burton malavitas and it's night and day quality-wise.

·
Registered
833 Posts
In all fairness, the Mobs are Rome's cheap price point entry level binding and do not accurately represent the entire line. I have 2 pairs of Traga's, 2 pairs of Arsenals and 3 pairs of 390's my oldest pair of Arsenals and 390's have 6 years and around 300 days on them including 30 below Fairbanks Alaska weather and are going strong. Not so much as a broken ladder strap.

The 2012 forward lean screw was a change that had issues. Prior to that, Rome used a flip lever system that is bomb proof. They are changing that drew system based in part by my feedback on the Targa's. Its inaccurate to make blanket statements about the entire line based on their lewest end model.

Just sayin.
That's fair - although I was talking about the forward lean mechanism and how that design was considered a weak point not just on the Mobs but also on other Rome models that are more expensive. Glad to hear they are changing it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts