Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

8041 - 8059 of 8059 Posts

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
^ Lucky for me I was there in December and avoided the Corona Virus. Hopefully I dodged the Mumps, Herpes, Crabs, Chlamydia, Genital Warts, and Gonorrhea, too.

Gotta say Copper was a lot more fun than Keystone. And less STD dangerous.
You were there during prime Mumps and Crab season!

·
Not quite reformed yet
8,442 Posts
First case of Corona Virus in the state and of course it happens at Keystone. Further proof that place is the fucking worst. Now you can get Mumps and Corona Virus in the same place. That's on top of the Herpes and Crabs.
WHAT exactly are they mixing in with the snowmaking mix???
???

Reactions: ctoma

·
Registered
10,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #8,045
Normally in mid-March I'd be super stoked to see 8-16" forecast for Loveland Pass over the next couple of days. Right now, I'm just wanting a dud of a spring and an early summer.

·
Veteran Member
11,553 Posts
Well I am excited for the snow. The biggest thing with splitboarding right now is making the right terrain choice. This is normally the time of year you can start pushing it a bit. Given the state of everything, an accident could be really bad news. For the victim, and search and rescue. Plus, something like that could very well close all trail access in the state. Which means, it's going to happen. Still, I just bought a sled and want to get a little practice on it plus a tour. So the plan is to treat it like high mid winter avalanche conditions. Do some lower angle meadow skipping stuff in low consequence terrain. Hopefully I don't crash the sled.

Keep on keeping on folks and wash your hands.

·
Registered
10,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #8,048
On the good news front, China reported zero new cases for the first day since the outbreak.

Shit's gonna suck for awhile, but there's light on the other side.

·
Veteran Member
11,553 Posts
The backcountry equation is tough. All those people were not hitting it until mid April. There could be some serious avalanche issues this weekend, though it sounds like Bert got a lot less than expected. CDOT had planned to blast Stanley this morning and called it off due to low snowfall. Winterpark took down their pow cam yesterday too. That should help a little.

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
So they reopened uphill access at some of the resorts now and that's helping some people cope here. My BC friends are going out and keeping it mellow. But to me it's a matter of what if you got injured and needed to go to one of our hospitals? We only have 7 cases right now but that could potentially change you know. What I'm seeing though is a lot of people asking me during my daily live streams about going out in the BC and what not I'm doing what I can to help educated and make them choose the right decision.

·
Registered
10,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #8,052
Given the current situation, if I was going to do any riding at all right now whether it was skinning resorts or BC, I'd be keeping it SUPER mellow. Avalanches risk aside, you don't want to break an arm or something like that right now that would normally be a bummer but nothing more than that. You don't want to be in a hospital potentially exposed to this shit right now and you might very well be told to go home and let your crooked ass arm heal and we'll re-break it and set it when this shit is over.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I was up on Berthoud Pass today, but I didn't end up riding it. Things certainly looked good enough, and it was snowing. I was sitting thinking about all the hardware I have in my body, and the certain surgeries I would need if I got injured here or there... I didn't think I'd be able to ride more mellow than usual, so I just went to my friend's house in Empire and hung out for awhile instead. Not having full medical access adds a whole new level of consequence to riding.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I turned back before I reached the summit, but got at least halfway up the pass. I started thinking about my mortality as I passed my friend's house in Empire, like "I hope he has a really good first aid set up at his place." Now I really wish I'd gone all the way to the summit to see that shit show. If I'd seen this Greyhound Bus shuttle tomfoolery, I'd have documented it for you guys!

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
County has shut down up hill access on the resorts again. This is going to flood every idiot out into the BC. I get asked at least three times a day why I'm not just riding boards on Loveland Pass and doing reviews that way. Why? Cause I'm not a fucking moron and understand how small our hospital is. Better safe than taxing an over stressed system.

8041 - 8059 of 8059 Posts