Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
I don't really understand why you would want to watch someone ride a snowboard as part of a review. I get the entertainment value, but I don't see how it would tell you anything about the board itself.

I do admit that I like the "on the table" videos but that's more about being able to get a look at the camber profile of the board. Most of what the goodride guy says during those videos is useless.

·
Registered
10,674 Posts
Most of TGR's reviews make it pretty clear to me that they at most took a couple of laps on the majority of those boards. Some of them are just wildly inaccurate and I'm not talking about "inaccurate" in terms of someone's perception, I'm talking inaccurate as in rating dedicated pow sticks as three stars in powder when they didn't even ride the board in powder. The other issue I have with their reviews is that they don't consider their own bias. I can already tell you most of the time whether or not TGR is going to like a particular board. If it's a RCR board with a bit of setback and mid to slightly past mid flexing they're going to like it. I mean, I can sympathize with that. Me too. But, while that's going to be a very versatile board it's not what everyone is looking for. Maybe you're looking for a dedicated pow stick, or a pure jib stick, or an out right bomber. That's where TGR really drops the ball. They often fail to look at a board outside of their own preferences. I mean, I do too but I'm also not trying to run a website offering snowboard reviews. Anytime I offer an opinion on a board, I'll make it very clear that this is simply my opinion and I'm making no effort to offer an unbiased review because I'm a snowboarder, not a snowboard reviewer. I can tell you how that board ripped groomers, how it handled pow if pow was available, how it handled tree runs, chunder, fucking moguls that I couldn't avoid, and jumps off natural hits and rollers. There's a good to very good chance I won't be able to tell you shit about how it jibbed, handled park jumps, or pipe because I'm a guy who takes a few laps a year through the park and that's about it.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
It goes like this

Board Archive - For when you're just starting out and dont realize how many snowboards there are and how vast the differences between them are. You just want a board that someone "cool" says is good. Thats fine for most people out there. I think generally they only review things they like but luckily they don't like shit. You'll probably end up on something that works for you. Hes honest to a point and choses to highlight positives while omitting negatives. I think the target is new riders and teenagers.

TGR - You've learned that the variety and tech in the snowboarding industry is spread more vast than Covid. You've ridden a season or two and you think you know what you're looking for. You've decided you'd like a slightly more niche board, possibly working on a quiver. The on the table reviews and the general lack of negative reviews on their site convince you that the board with the graphic you like is the right choice for you.

Angry - Ah, you crusty bastard. You've ridden enough boards and taken enough slams to know what you're looking for. You're sick of polished techno music behind scenes of pow laps you'll never get to ride because you have a job and you find phrases like "brrrruuuuuhhhhhhhhh nooooo wwwaaaayyyyy" to be second only to cancer. You're sick of fast forwarding through dick jokes. You say things like "Welp, it is what it is" and "time to suck today's dick" and find beer to be more medicinal than anything else at this point. You want a concise run down on a board and if its shit you wanna know. You geek out about the technical stuff. You're aware that Camber is the one profile to rule them all and in the white out, catch an edge and smash your collar bone to bits. It is what it is, wheres my beer?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Because he can't ride?
Maybe Satan loves boiler-plate ice, who knows? but ultimately we won't be seeing Avran filming himself riding. he has said so many times, and nothing I have seen from his videos suggests otherwise. (if hell freezes over, all bets are off, thus the ice-skating)

·
Registered
946 Posts
TGR's videos are more vlogs than reviews. Too much crap to have to watch through for something really predictable like "this is a really responsive binding..." Sometimes he gets lazy and decides to review too many items all at once, mangling up the names and attributes, leaving the watcher confused. The only thing worth watching his on-the-table, but sometimes even those drag on and on. If I do want to get his take on something, I read the text reviews.

Another review site I like, although much smaller, is Snowboard Robot. No I am not affiliated with this site whatsoever. Although there aren't as many reviews, his reviews are spot-on and his footages are nice. And he's a robot.

·
Registered
472 Posts
TGR's videos are more vlogs than reviews. Too much crap to have to watch through for something really predictable like "this is a really responsive binding..." Sometimes he gets lazy and decides to review too many items all at once, mangling up the names and attributes, leaving the watcher confused. The only thing worth watching his on-the-table, but sometimes even those drag on and on. If I do want to get his take on something, I read the text reviews.

Another review site I like, although much smaller, is Snowboard Robot. No I am not affiliated with this site whatsoever. Although there aren't as many reviews, his reviews are spot-on and his footages are nice. And he's a robot.
Yeah I find Lachlan's reviews to be the best on-snow reviews, period. He explains everything well, has the necessary disclaimers, lots of pondering in terms of how things ride etc.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Yeah I find Lachlan's reviews to be the best on-snow reviews, period. He explains everything well, has the necessary disclaimers, lots of pondering in terms of how things ride etc.
I don't mind Steph ................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................,

reviews.

This would have been a lot better without the black T shirt. (y)

·
Registered
190 Posts
I don't mind his videos, most of them have been shot at my local mountain, so they make for a good watch. I think the Sideways Gear Guys shoot a bunch there too, during demo days.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts