Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for people from Canada who purchased from the-house.com, were you charged border fee upon receiving your purchased item? Thanks

·
Registered
968 Posts
Most stuff they can't ship here. Add it to your cart and you will see...very limited items will they ship. You have to ship your stuff to somewhere in the US

·
Registered
16 Posts
Oddly enough, DJsBoardShop would ship to Canada and send the-house flyers and stickers in the box. Coincidence perhaps but they shipped the same items that the-house was selling but wouldn't ship to Canada.

This was ~4 years ago though.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Oddly enough, DJsBoardShop would ship to Canada and send the-house flyers and stickers in the box. Coincidence perhaps but they shipped the same items that the-house was selling but wouldn't ship to Canada.

This was ~4 years ago though.
I believe they're owned by the same company

I wouldn't buy from either one though. If Backcountry/Evo is just a couple bucks more expensive (and if they ship to Canada), I would buy from them instead just for the better customer service

·
Registered
16 Posts
I would argue that I had 0 issues with customer service. When I conversed with them way back when, the issues with shipping was due to companies only dealing within their specific regions; Oakley USA would not ship to Canada at that time because Oakley Canada exists.

Obviously if one site says they would ship over the over I would choose them, but saying that customer service is better without necessarily dealing with them is a tad over the top.

·
Premium Member
4,142 Posts
Question for people from Canada who purchased from the-house.com, were you charged border fee upon receiving your purchased item? Thanks
Any items shipped across the border are potentially subject to import duties (there are some exceptions); this is a tax levied by *your* government and not a fee that is charged by the sender.

Further, if the items are sent via FedEx or UPS, it's common that they (FedEx/UPS) will levy additional charges. If the sender uses one of these carriers (instead of USPS), those charges will be passed on to you, the buyer, but this would most likely happen at point-of-sale, not afterwards.

If you're getting hassled for $$ on delivery, it's a customs/duties thing.

·
Not quite reformed yet
8,265 Posts
Any items shipped across the border are potentially subject to import duties (there are some exceptions); this is a tax levied by *your* government and not a fee that is charged by the sender.

Further, if the items are sent via FedEx or UPS, it's common that they (FedEx/UPS) will levy additional charges. If the sender uses one of these carriers (instead of USPS), those charges will be passed on to you, the buyer, but this would most likely happen at point-of-sale, not afterwards.

If you're getting hassled for $$ on delivery, it's a customs/duties thing.
No,.. not necessarily. I have talked to a few ppl who have had shipments held hostage for customs & tariffs and whatnot that weren't charged as part of the initial purchase order. They were hit with it upon delivery. :shrug:

·
Premium Member
4,142 Posts
No,.. not necessarily. I have talked to a few ppl who have had shipments held hostage for customs & tariffs and whatnot that weren't charged as part of the initial purchase order. They were hit with it upon delivery. :shrug:
Two different things. FedEx & UPS charge an additional fee, that amounts to basically a "handling charge". That's part of the shipping charge.

Once the box hits the border, it's up to the Customs agents to determine whether to levy additional import/use taxes. That's what will get your shit held hostage, which was the first part of my comment. Apologies if that wasn't clear enough :D These are never part of the original shipping charges, because they're not shipping charges, they're a tax and FedEx/UPS doesn't collect taxes.

Note: You can refuse to pay, and they will return to sender. Kind of a dick move and that's a large part of why many people & businesses don't do international shipping. The other part being regional exclusivity agreements with the retailers and brands, to control MAP, etc.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts