Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 214 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally got on the 20/21 Orca after hearing all the hype. Rode it 4 days on PNW pow days. For reference I've been riding for about 20 years, going hard for the past 3 years and got into park, my other boards are the Warpig and the DOA, was looking into getting a free ride pow board to balance out the quiver.

I don't understand the hype behind it. It is damp, charges chunder, and floats well, but the magnetraction really throws me off. It gets grabby and slow during a carve on soft snow, doing quick speed checks feels sluggish as well. I'm sure it'll do great on firm and icy snow. But why would I take the orca out on a non pow day?

I'm going to sell it and get the k2 excavator instead. Glad I tried it but am I riding it wrong? What is so great about it. It carves so-so on groomers, gets real grabby when trying to carve on soft snow or pow. And skidded turns feels off as well. I have a lot more fun on the Warpig in pow than the Orca.

Maybe hybrid techs aren't for me, I didn't care much for the Bataleon evil twins 3bt either, it was great on rails but felt too washy on firm icy snow and side hits.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I owned an orca and returned it before even riding it. Just felt too overhyped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
425 Posts
Mind elaborating? Their camber profiles have always confused me but I've been interested in them for a hot minute.
You got a nice floaty rocker nose for easy entry and one set of edge disruption just at the insert packs with camber between the feet and clean edge between the insert packs. For
me it’s a better version of what mervins trying to do with awesome float and camber snap
and enhanced edge bite for
Ice without the looses grabby mess of rocker & edge bumps between the inserts

·
Registered
347 Posts
I agree buck, very overrated and i feel the same as you when carving. It is very fun though in lesser sloped pow but I cant find any other purpose for it.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
You got a nice floaty rocker nose for easy entry and one set of edge disruption just at the insert packs with camber between the feet and clean edge between the insert packs. For
me it’s a better version of what mervins trying to do with awesome float and camber snap
and enhanced edge bite for
Ice without the looses grabby mess of rocker & edge bumps between the inserts
Which board are you talking about? I'll do some digging!

·
Registered
9,903 Posts
Somehow it got hyped. Then people started riding it as an allmountain board. It is not an all mountain board. Hence the existence of the Golden Orca. Lib never corrected the hype about it being a do everything board except to introduce the Golden. The Orca is a pow deck. It is a great pow deck. It is not a great all mountain board. As a pow deck, it has mag because it is rocker and a Mervin.

·
Registered
9,903 Posts
Reactions: bseracka

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
it's funny, I have a friend who lives in Crested Butte and rides almost every day. He loves this board so much. I have never ridden it and never tried magnatraction. Others who have that I have read don't like it. What seems confusing ti me: if it's a powder board, does this magnatraction make any sense?...
:whaa:

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
it's funny, I have a friend who lives in Crested Butte and rides almost every day. He loves this board so much. I have never ridden it and never tried magnatraction. Others who have that I have read don't like it. What seems confusing ti me: if it's a powder board, does this magnatraction make any sense?...
It doesn't if you ride it only in powder, but even on pow days you end up in crap sometimes and it's helpful in those scenarios.

I mean, they have to try to sell the board to people on the east coast that want to be like T. Rice.

@Nivek, I just traded a board for a 147 orca and then found the video of you riding one on 'can kevin carve it'. I think it'll be fun to check it out and I'm hopeful I don't die trying to ride it as an all mountain board before I trade it again for something more to my liking. Sadly the gremlin I was going to trade for had an edge bubble. Still it'll be fun to try something new. I really want a volume shifted C3 board with minimag though. I really wish mervin would let you dial in the edge tech if you custom ordered or whatnot. I've heard you can do that though?

·
Registered
425 Posts
I live in crested butte and ride every day as well! Intro me to your eskimo brother, I don't think the orca is without merit, the volume shift and rocker between the feet make it nice and turny between trees and the magna can save your ass in hard chop/conditions that happen alot at crusty butte. I think most folks who go for C2X are looking for a looser deck thats a bit more freestyle centric and that when the orcas finds it way into freeriders hands its not quite right.

The one piece I'll disagree with the consensus here is when C2X magna grabbyness happens. I find the profile is great at speed its when i'm flat footing cat walks, straight lining at low speed or getting off lifts that its wonky and can buck easily

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
If you live in the Northeast it does

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Somehow it got hyped. Then people started riding it as an allmountain board. It is not an all mountain board. Hence the existence of the Golden Orca. Lib never corrected the hype about it being a do everything board except to introduce the Golden. The Orca is a pow deck. It is a great pow deck. It is not a great all mountain board. As a pow deck, it has mag because it is rocker and a Mervin.
Yeah that's what I don't understand, its trying to be a quiver of 1 but doesn't do that well, if I'm gonna spend the premium on a board I might as well get a proper pow board. I got on the excavator and is much happier with it, groomer first pow second seems better than pow first groomer second. The mixture of contradictory tech isn't for me.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I live in crested butte and ride every day as well! Intro me to your eskimo brother, I don't think the orca is without merit, the volume shift and rocker between the feet make it nice and turny between trees and the magna can save your ass in hard chop/conditions that happen alot at crusty butte. I think most folks who go for C2X are looking for a looser deck thats a bit more freestyle centric and that when the orcas finds it way into freeriders hands its not quite right.

The one piece I'll disagree with the consensus here is when C2X magna grabbyness happens. I find the profile is great at speed its when i'm flat footing cat walks, straight lining at low speed or getting off lifts that its wonky and can buck easily
I think it might be the type of snow you ride for the grabbiness, I'm in PNW wet snow, perhaps if the snow was drier I wouldn't have felt it. It made me doubt my ability to ride cause how sluggish it felt. Definitely purrs more at higher speeds, I also like doing quick speed checks before side hits and it felt heavy to get the board around, maybe cause it wasn't a freestyle board so side hits and quick set up turns aren't strong-suits.

Here are some related products that Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums members are talking about.

1 - 20 of 214 Posts