Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
141 - 160 of 214 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
At this point I think I lead the hater crew? Mostly cause I have the experience to back up what I'm saying. The mediocreness of Never Summer and living in Summit breeds hate too. 4 layers of dated pre-preg glass + way too much dampening foil + rental topsheets + mid grade base material = meh boards that are heavy and lifeless. Part of it is that they just aren't what everyone wants them to be. If they want to be the Buick of snowboards that's fine, but then don't pretend they're hyper performing. Also the very existence of triple camber/rocker whatsitfuck is proof enough they don't actually give a shit about the truthfullness of their marketing. To add a micro camber zone in the middle of their aggressive rocker zone and claim it's game changing is nothing less than laughable. Straight laughable. And the fact that their cult is just eating it up shows how dumbly blind they all are. I know human existence craves inclusion to a tribe, but like damn, come on.
Jesus christ where did they touch you? I think there is more a hate cult going on then any fanboy cult around here. Sheep be sheep'n. I said they aren't heavy, and they simply aren't. It's a bit over the top this blind ns hate.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Name should say it all...They're talking about rocker dominant profiles, is S camber rocker dominant? No. It's camber with a bit of early rise at the nose.

When I hear hybrid rocker, I think rocker between the feet. When I hear hybrid camber, I think camber between the feet.
People also call it S-Rocker.

Some S-rocker/camber boards have rocker under the front foot, not just early rise. Early rise is early rise. I don't really consider early rise much of anything since it's often outside the contact point anyway, no?

·
Registered
904 Posts
Jesus christ where did they touch you? I think there is more a hate cult going on then any fanboy cult around here. Sheep be sheep'n. I said they aren't heavy, and they simply aren't. It's a bit over the top this blind ns hate.
How is it blind hate? He made factually correct observations about construction. What wasn’t accurate in what he said?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Name should say it all...They're talking about rocker dominant profiles, is S camber rocker dominant? No. It's camber with a bit of early rise at the nose.

When I hear hybrid rocker, I think rocker between the feet. When I hear hybrid camber, I think camber between the feet.
I thought S camber is a setback or "backseat" camber (camber under back foot) with rocker in the nose. Boards with S camber are Telos Backslash, Salomon Super 8, Moss snowboards, some Burton boards like HH and SK.

·
Destroying Worlds Since 2015
7,269 Posts
How is it blind hate? He made factually correct observations about construction. What wasn’t accurate in what he said?
He made assertions. Some of them are diametrically opposite to my actual experience with NS boards, which places the whole list in doubt.

·
Premium Member
3,603 Posts
People also call it S-Rocker.

Some S-rocker/camber boards have rocker under the front foot, not just early rise. Early rise is early rise. I don't really consider early rise much of anything since it's often outside the contact point anyway, no?
To me early rise is rocker. Basically every snowboard rises at the actual tip and tail, outside of the contact points. If it's rising early, it's rising before the contact points = rocker.
I thought S camber is a setback or "backseat" camber (camber under back foot) with rocker in the nose. Boards with S camber are Telos Backslash, Salomon Super 8, Moss snowboards, some Burton boards like HH and SK.
Yeah I think of S camber as a rocker nose (inside the contact point) with the rest of the board being camber. When it's labeled as S rocker I think of that rocker extending further back, something like the old Burton Barracuda which was basically rocker until the waist then camber under the back foot. Boards like the Super 8 are definitely camber dominant, setback camber is a great name for it.

Too many different names for the variety of profiles, but in my opinion whatever word is used (camber/rocker) in the name should be the dominant shape in the profile.

·
Super Moderator
1,314 Posts
It seems to be a pretty successful profile we see on some good boards, I love my Yup which runs the s-camber and even the Surfari has a little rocker in the nose. Ravine and Tailgunner are also popular decks running that profile IIRC

·
Registered
306 Posts
100% agree, I don’t want to bash on Mervin, the c3 slaps and I want a gremlin in a big way. I also think c2x (and NS variant) is a awesome beginner/intermediate profile as well as for specific advanced use cases like you listed. For the general resort ripping advanced rider the C2/NS CRC profile is limiting and that’s ok, personally I think Mervin does a nice job with their line up of profiles to take riders on a progression, start on the skate banana and then grow into a headspace/riders choice. Similar with the t rice to the gremlins/dynamos of the world.

It will be interesting to see if NS camber can offer a similar progression offer for all mountain riders

personally my other beef with mervin is magna I’d love it if they offered a mellower option that removed the bumps from between the insert packs for a profile similar to the YES under bite or stratta system

Edit: In regards to NS I still have my ‘06 169 Titan with risers, if NS is on here please recreate this deck in a wide, never had a deck rail a turn as hard as that progressive death camber beast

2nd Edit: I certainly agree their are great advanced rider rocker profiles on the market for resort ripping, I just haven’t experienced them from Mervin/NS
Tell me you don't know how to ride a crc snowboard without telling me you don't know how to ride a crc snowboard. Would I ride a crc down a 45 degree death chunder chute with one? Fuck no. But would I put a crc against any camber or s camber profile at any resort that gets more than 100 inches of snow each year? Fuck yes.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Tell me you don't know how to ride a crc snowboard without telling me you don't know how to ride a crc snowboard. Would I ride a crc down a 45 degree death chunder chute with one? Fuck no. But would I put a crc against any camber or s camber profile at any resort that gets more than 100 inches of snow each year? Fuck yes.
Ya theres a lot of misinformation in this thread. Much of it originates from a single semi-influential source which has permeated the forum community pretty deeply.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Ya theres a lot of misinformation in this thread. Much of it originates from a single semi-influential source which has permeated the forum community pretty deeply.
Yup. It's insane to say that crc holds back advanced riders... like Trice on a Orca and Chris Corning crushing slopestyle on a NS don't count?

·
Premium Member
1,913 Posts
CRC is fun to ride and by no means an "intermediate only" profile. It's not great for carving because you don't get that spring out of turns. That's about the biggest drawback.

My Gnu Park Pickle (slightly stiffer Skate Banana) was fine to charge on and the contact point between your feet with mag digs in hard. It was also really fun to spin around with no effort on that board. Also fun on a powder day.

I still have a flat to rocker board because they're fun to ride. I'm not a beginner who needs a forgiving board.

If you want to judge people by the gear they ride then wait about ten minutes for someone to show up on an old skate banana with duct taped Union flites and backflip their way down the jump line.

·
Super Moderator
1,314 Posts
It's horses for courses, just frustrates me when someone tells me their horse is a race horse when it's clearly dressage

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
If you're gonna call someone out then do it, this is just lame

·
Premium Member
3,603 Posts
But would I put a crc against any camber or s camber profile at any resort that gets more than 100 inches of snow each year? Fuck yes.
Why? I've ridden and owned plenty of CRC, I just prefer having my contact points at the tail (and nose) engaged instead of lifted off the snow. I can't get the drive and precision I like from CRC.

Sunshine and Lake Louise are at over 200 inches of snow so far with 4 months to go and probably 70% of the time I'm on my stiff, full camber Nitro Banker. It's got a big ass nose that floats me just fine. It's also my narrowest board and absolutely slays in the moguls and tight trees, a board doesn't need rocker between the feet to be agile. For how and where I ride CRC means compromises I don't want to make, for advantages that I don't need. Preferences are preferences.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
If you're gonna call someone out then do it, this is just lame
Oh the fourm is chalk full of bluntly calling out the hate for all things Mervin that was developed and instilled by The Angry community back in the day. And now despite their change back to being pro Mervin when Mervin agreed to renew their partnership much of the mistrust and hatred sewn over the years continues to linger. It's kind of fun to watch though, like watching Trump try to convince people to get the vaccine.

It's the same with NS although at least with them they do admit to it being partial location bias.

·
Super Moderator
1,314 Posts
Oh the fourm is chalk full of bluntly calling out the hate for all things Mervin that was developed and instilled by The Angry community back in the day. And now despite their change back to being pro Mervin when Mervin agreed to renew their partnership much of the mistrust and hatred sewn over the years continues to linger. It's kind of fun to watch though, like watching Trump try to convince people to get the vaccine.

It's the same with NS although at least with them they do admit to it being partial location bias.
Let's not go back there

·
Registered
347 Posts
I have zero doubt that nivek knows more about snowboards than I ever will and I'm stoked with his alchemist recommendation, but there has to be more to this heavy hating on ns stuff here then simply a snowboard that isn't liked.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Why? I've ridden and owned plenty of CRC, I just prefer having my contact points at the tail (and nose) engaged instead of lifted off the snow. I can't get the drive and precision I like from CRC.

Sunshine and Lake Louise are at over 200 inches of snow so far with 4 months to go and probably 70% of the time I'm on my stiff, full camber Nitro Banker. It's got a big ass nose that floats me just fine. It's also my narrowest board and absolutely slays in the moguls and tight trees, a board doesn't need rocker between the feet to be agile. For how and where I ride CRC means compromises I don't want to make, for advantages that I don't need. Preferences are preferences.
That's exactly what I'm arguing... preferences are preferences. But don't tell me that crc holds back advanced riders when I can name about 10 that do.

Here are some related products that Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums members are talking about.

141 - 160 of 214 Posts