Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am only familiar with Hunter Mountain and Campgaw. I was wandering if there are any snowboarding areas near me that have really long bunny slopes. I think that I would progress a lot faster if I could go up really high and make my way down a long beginner slope. I would most definitely be falling on my behind often in the process but I would take my time and hopefully stay on my feet a little longer after each fall. I am asking because with the beginner area at Campgaw I end up spending more time waiting on line than actually getting downhill and learning. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Mountain Creek in NJ, is 45 minutes from the GWB, they have 1 long green slope and they have a gondola. Don't not go there on a weekend, its a must do weekday place.

·
Registered
382 Posts
hmm not quite what you may looking for but the longest run close to NYC is at hunter mountain and trail name is beltway park (it's a blue) goes all the way down

·
Registered
441 Posts
I think Camelback might have what you are looking for. Remember Bunny Slope doesn't necessarily equal Green run. But I know Camelback has one decent length learning section

In the picture you see it beginning at the top of the L7 lift on the right

·
Registered
9 Posts
Why not just start using the green trails? After 1 day on the bunny slopes jumped to the greens and haven't looked back.

What I look for is places with several green trails so I don't get bored after a couple runs. Woods Valley in Rome has the longest bunny slope I've seen so far with lift and a couple of beginner friendly green trails. Toggenburg, Bristol and Song also have a nice beginner area.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Check out Plattekill Mountain. They have a really long green run called Powder Puff on lookers right of the mountain. They claim its two miles long. This mountain has the added benefit of never being crowded as well. But, they're only open during the weekend unless they get powder.

Here's the trail map

·
Registered
382 Posts
Check out Plattekill Mountain. They have a really long green run called Powder Puff on lookers right of the mountain. They claim its two miles long. This mountain has the added benefit of never being crowded as well. But, they're only open during the weekend unless they get powder.

Here's the trail map
man i wanna go there... on the paper they look great (bumpa pipeline sundown shredded mozzralla this should be really long), gosh we are surrounded by millions of small mountains, their especially blue and green runs look really long, but no bus service

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
It's definitely worth the trip. Especially if you don't like waiting in lift lines all weekend. Only downside is that all their lifts (all 3 of them) are old and sloooow.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The green run on Windham is pretty long, if you go all the way down the mountain. The downside is you might have to unstrap and skate because the run is pretty flat at some parts.

Blue mountain at PA has a pretty long run as well.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Not sure far your willing to travel but okemo and mt snow have some pretty long runs. I usually take the bus up there. I was on the lift only a few times compared to other mountains like mountain creek where all I do is sit on the lift lol

·
Registered
538 Posts
My personal recommendation for a beginner is Shawnee in the Poconos, none of the runs are too steep, but yet not too flat at the same time. Bunny hills are never going to be that long, Shawnee's is decent, but it also has some nice easy greens, cheap lift tickets and long hours open.

Camelback is a shitshow, hate that place. Would rather go to Blue or Elk if I go to PA nowadays, but rarely do.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I visited a bunch of places this season Thunder Ridge (2x), Shawnee (2x), Hunter (took my first lesson there and returned for the last day of the season), Windham, Plattekill, Mountain Creek (gave up because of the rain but discovered Mt. Peter (2x) on the way back) I went to Campgaw a total of 3 or 4 times same for Tuxedo Ridge (both are great for after work practice). Stayed on green but successfully tried Blue on Shawnee and Hunter. ll places have pros and cons. Mayor accomplishment staying vertical for the most part and riding switch. Goal for the next season....butters and having good time.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Belleayre has a pretty long green trail called Deer Run. It's pretty good trail to learn on.
I drove by and considered returning but they ran out of snow before I was able to do that. I will definitely try it next season. I found that the longer the run, the faster I learn and the longer the lift ride so there is plenty of time to rest before the next ride.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts