Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
would like to start this since i need help and am now addicted to glade riding

tried it for the first time last year at Stowe in vermont. got my ass KICKED, but absolutely LOVED it. just such a more interesting/fun/back-to-nature type experience that i have never had on a trail (at least on the east coast).

i would say i am a novice rider. extremely comfortable on most, if not all trails. but i got worked in the trees. every couple turns i was eating it. fell into a tree well and was tired as hell by the time i got out.

so, any advice? i know you're supposed to kind of look through the trees and pick your line and attack it with confidence.

another thing i think threw me off is my boots are very ill-fitting and will be replaced this year. i think that might have had an affect on my confidence in the trees.

·
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
6,863 Posts
so, any advice? i know you're supposed to kind of look through the trees and pick your line and attack it with confidence.
Okay so other than the usual comments from the peanut gallery:

- You must be CONFIDENT in your regular riding before getting into the glades. Mistakes are much more costly. Spend the time getting GOOD on-piste before venturing too far off.

- Slow down at first, it takes time to get used to reading the terrain

- Pick a gladed run that's less steep than you usually are comfortable on, and make sure it's not heavily gladed:

These..

will be easier than these...

- once you've built the skill and taken the time, it's all about reading the terrain and planning your route a turn or two ahead. Learn how to make speed checks while travelling straight. Learn how to fall. Wear armour. :wavetowel2:

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Okay so other than the usual comments from the peanut gallery:
These..

will be easier than these...

:wavetowel2:
Holy hell, I'm more likely to repel down that than kill myself trying to ride it! And look at those ice spots. YIKES! If you hit it serious kudos to you.

·
Not quite reformed yet
8,154 Posts
Iir,.. We almost lost Pout on that ice fall a few years back! I believe he is making a point about knowing what you're doing and where you are going!

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts
Ride with a buddy so you don't die in a tree well.

looks like the stuff we get at red
They still got that run called Needles? That was awesome!

A mate and I used to cut across from the top of Paradise Valley through the trees and come out on a cat track back to the main runs.

Best tree boarding I ever had.

·
Registered
545 Posts
yea needles is still here. that was actually the run i was thinking about when i saw that photo haha. needles and cambodia area is pretty much guaranteed pow any day of the week, too many trees and too steep for a lot of people to bother. high spirits, dougs run and oil can, pretty much anywhere in the north bowl is always money. definitely the most fun inbounds terrain ive ridden out of all the resorts ive been to.

http://www.redresort.com/assets/pdf/red_maps_lowres_201415.pdf

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts
yea needles is still here. that was actually the run i was thinking about when i saw that photo haha. needles and cambodia area is pretty much guaranteed pow any day of the week, too many trees and too steep for a lot of people to bother. high spirits, dougs run and oil can, pretty much anywhere in the north bowl is always money. definitely the most fun inbounds terrain ive ridden out of all the resorts ive been to.

http://www.redresort.com/assets/pdf/red_maps_lowres_201415.pdf
So many great memories :D

Grey Mountain was only BC when I was there in 04 and 09.

Beer Belly opened into a nice bowl iirc and the slides were great in the powder. Powder Fields was a nice gladed run, not too packed with trees.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I wasn't joking when I said don't look at the trees, you wanabe looking for the gaps that your gonna head through same as when your biking if your looking at the trees generally you'll end up hitting one. Another bit of advise is never follow other people's tracks you never know where there gonna end up cliff/waterfall ect. If you’ve got someone who knows the area go with them and as other have said don't go alone.

·
Banned!
7,679 Posts
tree riding = moguls with trees

at least in terms of practice and ability.

tree riding is much more fun.

if you enter the top of a big deep mogul field and say "oh fuck" instead of just charging it and getting it done, keep working b4 trees.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts