Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

301 - 320 of 343 Posts

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
???
Are you saying if you have a '13-'14 season pass for that resort, that you have to buy another to finish out the spring weekend openings???

I think I'd tell 'em to GFT! :dunno: That's ridiculous.
Yep, sure am. Mt. Hood does it as well.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

·
Registered
25 Posts
yeah my 13-14 pass at Crystal stopped working April 19th even though they will be open through May 20th. I'm extremely happy to have switched to being a pass holder at Stevens for next season. I've been up 10 times since getting my week day pass last month, 3 of which were awful because of weather and sticky snow. The place has been a ghost town on weekdays and the few people up were definitely season pass holders, with the occasional tourist actually buying a ticket. Totally understandable that they would close after this weekend as they must be losing money staying open, and in the mean time my weekday pass for next season has already been paid off twice just from my time spring boarding to close out this season. Doesn't seem like too bad of a deal really.

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
You know that Crystal is only open on the weekends now, right? I know that they'll stay open until the snow melts, but you have to buy a spring pass to ride, and you only get weekends. You also don't get much in the way of terrain options since they only run Green Valley and the gondola. Personally, I'd rather own a split and just hike for the goods than compete with a bunch of weekend warriors for lift rides.
You don't need a spring pass if you have a pass for next year. Your pass is good for an entire year, they just offset the dates funny. After April 20, you need next years pass to ride. It sounds like a bad deal, but your current pass let you ride for free the previous spring, so it's all the same.

I'm aware Crystal is only open weekends now, but they plan to remain so until JUNE. And they have less coverage than Stevens. They're staying open as long as there is snow to ride, and closing terrain as they lose coverage. Stevens has full coverage everywhere, 17" of new snow in the past 10 days, and they are closing permanently for the season with a 100" base. That's shit.

They have completely wasted several powder days this month due to their new policy of closing half the resort on weekdays for April.

Meanwhile, if you go to Crystal's site, they announced that they just re-opened more terrain this weekend due to the new snow. They're running another lift.

At the beginning of the season, Crystal couldn't open parts of their resort because there was literally not enough snow on the ground to groom, so they used the gondola for down-loading. Stevens, on the other hand, was just squandering their perfectly adequate snow in many areas and left it closed for no good reason.

Regardless of why, or what's fair, or what it takes to run a business, I'm gonna go to whoever will let me shred. I like the vibe at Stevens but their new ownership seems to be coming through and the novelty is wearing off. Even if your Season pass doesn't work at Crystal, they at least offer the option to pay, with a large discount ($25/day if you reload). I'm fine with paying if that's what has to happen to be open, but to just call it quits like Stevens is doing is crazy to me.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
You don't need a spring pass if you have a pass for next year. Your pass is good for an entire year, they just offset the dates funny. After April 20, you need next years pass to ride. It sounds like a bad deal, but your current pass let you ride for free the previous spring, so it's all the same.

I'm aware Crystal is only open weekends now, but they plan to remain so until JUNE. And they have less coverage than Stevens. They're staying open as long as there is snow to ride, and closing terrain as they lose coverage. Stevens has full coverage everywhere, 17" of new snow in the past 10 days, and they are closing permanently for the season with a 100" base. That's shit.

They have completely wasted several powder days this month due to their new policy of closing half the resort on weekdays for April.
Wow, you people really don't understand how businesses and money work do you. I love watching people get mad purely because they're ignorant of what they're complaining about.

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
Wow, you people really don't understand how businesses and money work do you. I love watching people get mad purely because they're ignorant of what they're complaining about.
Yeah, do you read CNL's 10-Ks? Do you even know what a 10-K is? I have, and I've read their investor prospectus.

By the way, it might interest you to hear that they're planning to milk Stevens and flip it to cash out by December 2015. Sorry, in business terms, they plan to Optimize Performance to Maximize Income, and their Exit Strategy is a Liquidity Event targeting December 2015.

http://www.cnllifestylereit.com/core/fileparse.php/473/urlt/CLP-Fact-Sheet-Nov-2013-Final.pdf

http://www.cnllifestylereit.com/core/fileparse.php/473/urlt/CNL-Lifestyle-Properties-4Q-2013-Update.pdf

http://www.cnllifestylereit.com/resources/docs/prospectus.pdf

They aren't closed because they're losing money. They're closed because they want even more money. They're legally obligated not to just run profitably, but to maximize returns to their portfolio.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Yeah, do you read CNL's 10-Ks? Do you even know what a 10-K is? I have, and I've read their investor prospectus.

By the way, it might interest you to hear that they're planning to milk Stevens and flip it to cash out by December 2015. Sorry, in business terms, they plan to Optimize Performance to Maximize Income, and their Exit Strategy is a Liquidity Event targeting December 2015.

http://www.cnllifestylereit.com/core/fileparse.php/473/urlt/CLP-Fact-Sheet-Nov-2013-Final.pdf

http://www.cnllifestylereit.com/core/fileparse.php/473/urlt/CNL-Lifestyle-Properties-4Q-2013-Update.pdf

And how is any of that relevant to you wanting them to lose money staying open just so you don't get on here and complain? Crystal draws enough people this late to afford staying open longer. Regardless of what future plans are for their business (good or bad, a little underhanded etc.) they by no means should be expected to spend thousands because 10 people can't snowboard now in May. If they can save more money after offering a season as long as can be expected by season pass holders they fulfilled their obligations. Oh and I have my MBA and have been dealing with this stuff for years, again with the complaints and arguments that are completely ignorant. Rough way to try and prove your point...

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Nope, not until summer boarding starts actually :yahoo:. Sadly that over $1000 for a pass and it's just a terrain park really.
I should have been more specific. Meadows has a spring pass, Timberline has a summer pass, and Ski Bowl just closes at the beginning of March.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I should have been more specific. Meadows has a spring pass, Timberline has a summer pass, and Ski Bowl just closes at the beginning of March.

Meadows sells a spring pass ($199 I think) for people without a season pass but I believe if you have a season pass it's good through May when they close. I could be wrong though since I don't actually have to pay for my pass there.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #310
Anyone else doing rhythm n bruise? Just finished practice today and my body is pretty beat already haha

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #312
Yea I'm pretty bummed it's the last day too... With how much snow is left it would be cool to build another rhythm n bruise type track somewhere and just hike that.

To anyone who didn't enter but wanted to... You blew it! This course is one of the most fun things I've ridden on a snowboard. This is one event I'll be doing every year for sure.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Yea I'm pretty bummed it's the last day too... With how much snow is left it would be cool to build another rhythm n bruise type track somewhere and just hike that.

To anyone who didn't enter but wanted to... You blew it! This course is one of the most fun things I've ridden on a snowboard. This is one event I'll be doing every year for sure.
I'm so jelly. Every year they do this thing on a dang weekend. Weekends are all but impossible for me to get off. Thus, I've never gotten a chance to do it. The last three years it was at White Pass. This year Stevens. I wonder if Stevens will host it again next season, or if it will bounce around? Either way, I wish there was a mid week option for it. Lol

·
Premium Member
769 Posts

They aren't closed because they're losing money. They're closed because they want even more money. They're legally obligated not to just run profitably, but to maximize returns to their portfolio.
(bump)

So, looks like Stevens owner is still following this plan, and they're going to dump all the resorts into the hands of a bigger conglomerate. I REALLY hope Boyne doesn't buy them, or we're definitely screwed :(

CNL Lifestyle Properties Could Sell 16 Ski Resorts from Maine to California

Haha, and when bumping this thread I saw my old post, which is hard to even imagine after the year we just had. This year they never got anything close to 100" base, never even opened the whole mountain, and are already closed. Last year it was dumping powder into April with 100" base but they wouldn't spin their lifts. Guess they deserve what they got this year ;)

·
Not quite reformed yet
8,143 Posts
(bump)

So, looks like Stevens owner is still following this plan, and they're going to dump all the resorts into the hands of a bigger conglomerate. I REALLY hope Boyne doesn't buy them, or we're definitely screwed :(

I'm curious, what's your issue with Boyne?

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
The main issue would be that it would put ownership of all resorts in the area in the hands of 1 company. With no competition, markets get dysfunctional.

But to add, Boyne is owned by the Kircher brothers, and a different one runs the resorts out west. Him and his wife are known for their snobbery and anti-snowboarder attitudes. Someone actually made a blog post calling them out for an anti-snowboarding post the wife made and they found out who he was and nuked his pass at their other resort.

·
Not quite reformed yet
8,143 Posts
Ok! Wasn't aware that Boyne owned anything that far West. I knew about Big Sky and a couple sister resorts on the east coast. Had no idea they were that big!

·
Registered
624 Posts
As killer as this year has started out and no updates ?

Heading up Monday, Wednesday and Xmas eve, then the following Mon, Tues, Wed, seasons pass will be paid off by early next week, gotta love those $200 midweek passes.

301 - 320 of 343 Posts