Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Seeing the rider's style definitely and terrain where it was tested helps a ton for understanding the review. That's why I really like The Good Ride for exemple, I like different boards than them, but it's easy to see why—we just ride totally different mountains, in a different way. With a bit of habits you can read in between the lines, e.g. I know how to decipher french Snowsurf tests because I bought many boards based on their reviews. But video is must IMO.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Seeing the rider's style definitely and terrain where it was tested helps a ton for understanding the review. That's why I really like The Good Ride for exemple, I like different boards than them, but it's easy to see why—we just ride totally different mountains, in a different way. With a bit of habits you can read in between the lines, e.g. I know how to decipher french Snowsurf tests because I bought many boards based on their reviews. But video is must IMO.
I like the format of The Good Ride, but its such a strange situation. You need an e-harmony profile to ask questions? why are comments turned off? Also, The dude (James) is not that strong of a rider, so you have to take his reviews with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I like the format of The Good Ride, but its such a strange situation. You need an e-harmony profile to ask questions? why are comments turned off? Also, The dude (James) is not that strong of a rider, so you have to take his reviews with a grain of salt.
I agree but on the other hand: how many guys watching reviews are at the level of that guy demoing for whitelines? Same thing applies: take it with a grain of salt if you can't throw 720s around on your first drop on a new board...

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
I agree but on the other hand: how many guys watching reviews are at the level of that guy demoing for whitelines? Same thing applies: take it with a grain of salt if you can't throw 720s around on your first drop on a new board...
Yep pro level rider jumping on for a 1st ride and destroying the mountain.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
At least you can see his riding level and form your own opinion based on the video edit.
The paper accepts everything unlike the video.

And anyways he is a pretty confident rider on the groomers and from my experience of riding 50 plus boards in the past 4 years he seems to properly evaluate in a vast majority of cases how the board carves, especially how the sidecut radius dictactes the turn characteristics once you can properly lean the board over.

I take every review with a grain of salt. If I blindly followed one reviewer I’d have missed riding many good boards that remain the same year after year or undergo minimal changes in the flex (less impactful than sizing up 2 cms what is always doable) and are rated as underperforming one year and the next year they become a favourite/top 5 and what not.

·
Registered
341 Posts
At least you can see his riding level and form your own opinion based on the video edit.
The paper accepts everything.
Yeah, exaclty! It makes it easier to understand why they like some boards, and maybe not as much other that are praised here in the Alps (like some Slash, Nidecker, Salomon HPS M...).

I see whitelines has dropped another

Envoyé de mon H8324 en utilisant Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,040 Posts
It will be interesting to see how this progresses, but my gut says this guy knows how to review a board for himself, but not the general public. Based on how many times he said “playful” regarding the Mod. He did say you need to know what you’re doing on it, but still, playful is not the first word I go to with that board, and certainly not it’s defining feature.

Reactions: Craig64

·
Registered
188 Posts
Just beeing able to see how the boards performs under some stress makes these reviews golden. How he categorize and judge the boards seems to align very well with how he rides the boards, from what I’ve seen.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Just beeing able to see how the boards performs under some stress makes these reviews golden. How he categorize and judge the boards seems to align very well with how he rides the boards, from what I’ve seen.
Exactly. The GNU RC review:
You can see the guy fighting the autospin of the rocker in the middle and he talks about the fore aft issue with the profile. I had the same feeling riding the Orca.

I don’t like here the host here pushing ‚the perfect blend of playfullness’ statement. Let the rider sum up what he already said - that he would prefer this board with a camber profile and by watching the video you can see why.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I don’t like here the host here pushing ‚the perfect blend of playfullness’ statement. Let the rider sum up what he already said - that he would prefer this board with a camber profile and by watching the video you can see why.
Yeah, I know. But at least the rider is honest. Lets hope they keep it that way. That the host has to stay more diplomatic to keep boards getting sent his way is understandable.

·
Registered
12,646 Posts
^ That's cute.

In regards to James, just remember he's a back foot dominate rudder footer. Dude has never initiated a turn off his front foot. Hence he has bad form and bad habits. If I leaned back on everything I rode it would drastically change how I view them. And I too would probably use the phrase "off the back" over and over and over again like he does.

At the end of the day when it comes to reviews you need to be aware of if they are looking at it from the perspective of who is this for and how it works/doesn't work for that or are they just looking at it from how it works for them. There's a big difference between the two.

It's funny sitting where I am after doing this for 20 years and seeing how people keep trying and can't quite master it. It's really not that hard.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
In regards to James, just remember he's a back foot dominate rudder footer. Dude has never initiated a turn off his front foot. Hence he has bad form and bad habits. If I leaned back on everything I rode it would drastically change how I view them. And I too would probably use the phrase "off the back" over and over and over again like he does.
You have to use your front foot to initiate the turn early to heel carve like that.
0:35

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Reviewers review the boards... while we review the reviewers lol.

For me, consistency is more important than displays of riding skills or camera work. When reviewing/comparing products that are as diverse in build, shape, and characteristic as snowboards, the reviewer has to be disciplined to deliver reviews that are as consistent across the board (pardon the pun) as possible. Angry does this with his review format and gear. Snowboarding Profiles has a scoring table that is consistently applied to all review subjects. In comparison, TGR, Curated, and even Whiteline's reviews are full of subjective points-of-views from different levels of riders using different gear under varying conditions. At this point, the videos of riding become just fill-content and their reviews just cause information overload and analysis paralysis.

I still appreciate the videos of riding, mostly to look at the boards themselves or the landscape. Even TGR's, even though James' backfoot-squatting, shoulder-hunching 'carves' are enough to want to look for a new sport.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts