Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 201 Posts

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again!

Thinking about picking up a more piste/groomer oriented board for my third season.

So far I now have a Salomon First Call 164 and a Korua Pencil Plus 164 and they ride quite differently. The First Call is very easy and playful and even if it has a long sidecut the softness makes it easy to turn and it's very forgiving. The Pencil is really good in powder, but on piste it's more like riding a spitfire even if it's possible to just slide it around when your legs quits working.

So now I'm considering buying a board with less taper, but still a bit of setback. So a carving board that can handle a little powder. The powder is secondary though. The board doesn't really need to be a mellow and easy ride, but it's a bonus if it can handle easy relaxed carves as well as high speed carves.

I'm currently at 95 kg with size 265 boots

I've been eyeing these boards so far:

Nidecker Concept
Nidecker Area
Nidecker Mellow
Amplid UNW8
Korua Café Racer (the one with the least taper)
Salomon Speedway

I could probably just get any of those and it would be a great board, but I was wondering if anyone had any input on it. Not decided if I'm going to be looking for off season sales or just wait for the next season to start. I'll be riding my current boards until this season is over and will be riding them next season as well.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
840 Posts
I’d axe the Speedway. That board is for going fast. Same with Cafe Racer....I mean just look at their names lol. I don’t know anything about the Nideckers but I think Angry Snowboarder has some reviews up about them.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I’d axe the Speedway. That board is for going fast. Same with Cafe Racer....I mean just look at their names lol. I don’t know anything about the Nideckers but I think Angry Snowboarder has some reviews up about them.
It's not so much that I don't like going fast, it's that when I ride the Pencil I just have to go where it takes me when it gets a little steeper. It feels a little bit like jumping onto a horse that just have the full speed ahead option and all you can do is steer... I feel like there's so much taper and short tail that the edge hold in the tail doesn't let me ride the entire sidecut at higher speeds. This may be because of a combination of my weight and skill. I love riding it and it's so much fun turning it, but a little tiring. The board is the most fun when you ride it like you stole it, and more fun in powder than on piste. For me.

But I'm with you that the Speedway and the Café Racer might not be what I'm looking for, but I think I was more hesitant about the Amplid being too much to handle. I'm in the top range of the weight recommendations so I'm not terribly worried about not being able to flex the boards into sidecut as long as I don't loose my hold.

One reason I was considering the Café Racer is that I really like the Pencil. I figured that it would be like the Pencil with a bit more tail and more edge hold. The quadratic sidecut on the First Call is very nice to ride, so that's why I threw in the Speedway.

Swallowtail or a Burton Working Stiff
The Working Stiff looks interesting. Is the Swallowtail also a Burton board or did you mean a swallowtail board in general?

Edit - I noticed the Working Stiff only comes in a 154...

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Swallowtail in general. The Working Stiff kinda feels like a swallowtail if you really didn't like swallowtails, but most swallowtails are longer than that.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like I'm heading towards the Nidecker Area, it looks like a really fun board. Still sitting on the fence between Nidecker and Amplid so maybe I'm just going to wait until next season and scrap the sales. The next season Amplids look pretty cool... even if the Nidecker Area ticks all the boxes.

Hardly any time left to ride anyway :(

Stupid summer...

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Looks like I'm heading towards the Nidecker Area, it looks like a really fun board. Still sitting on the fence between Nidecker and Amplid so maybe I'm just going to wait until next season and scrap the sales. The next season Amplids look pretty cool... even if the Nidecker Area ticks all the boxes.

Hardly any time left to ride anyway :(

Stupid summer...
Niche Maelstrom looks good next season too. Angrysnowboarder has been raving about it.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Niche Maelstrom looks good next season too. Angrysnowboarder has been raving about it.
I like how the Niche looks :smile:

Any interest in a Nidecker Megalight? Or would that have too much taper for ya?
I was looking at both the Ultralight and Megalight when I bought the Pencil Plus. I think I would consider them more if I was swapping out the Pencil. I'm leaning towards less taper for the next board. But who knows...

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Swallowtail in general. The Working Stiff kinda feels like a swallowtail if you really didn't like swallowtails, but most swallowtails are longer than that.
I actually really like the looks of swallowtails, but it's hard finding one I want or can get hold of.

Swallowtails I've been interested in: Korua The Dart, Gentemstick Big Fish, Weston Japow, Sandyshapes Regina, Amplid JN

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's also a relatively cheap board! Especially compared to Gentam.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Yes, the Gentemsticks are not very cheap :grin:

I was thinking of trying to fix myself a quiver for next season. A powder board, a friendly carver and a slushy-chopped-up-snow playboard.

The powder board I have with the Pencil Plus.
The resort board could be my First Call 162 (I'm thinking of swapping it out for a 151).
Then a carver. Like a Nidecker or an Amplid. But maybe the Nitro boards would fit in too.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've now found the Yes Hybrid and it looks like a really nice board. Anyone have any thoughts on this one or have their mind set on buying it?

·
Registered
8,066 Posts
Yes, the Gentemsticks are not very cheap :grin:

I was thinking of trying to fix myself a quiver for next season. A powder board, a friendly carver and a slushy-chopped-up-snow playboard.

The powder board I have with the Pencil Plus.
The resort board could be my First Call 162 (I'm thinking of swapping it out for a 151).
Then a carver. Like a Nidecker or an Amplid. But maybe the Nitro boards would fit in too.
95kg on a 151 nope...go the other direction like a 172 :grin:

Sir, quit being an old lady and get yer ballz out of yer purse...just bag a Rhino already>:)

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The Moss is a unicorn around my parts :grin:

Shipping from evo is ridiculously expensive.

95kg on a 151 nope...go the other direction like a 172 :grin:

Sir, quit being an old lady and get yer ballz out of yer purse...just bag a Rhino already>:)
I'm just stalking around the bush with a raised riffle at this point. The herd is too big to see which one bag... :wink:

REGINA ? Sandy Shapes

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Did not see the blue and yellow flag lol. Have you tried Stranda Snowboards? That's closer to home. I've demo'd a few, and they work well for carving. The guys know what they are doing, would have a chat with them for advice before buying. Top quality, same factory as some of the Gentems and some of the same materials.

1 - 20 of 201 Posts